Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/16/2011 5:43:31 PM EDT
I need to know what states honor each others marriage licenses. I'm traveling up to New York and am worried that if I get married while I'm up there that other states won't honor a New York license.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 5:44:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you serious?
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 5:46:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I never thought it was a problem.  Look at how many people go and get hitched in Vegas from all over.  Or Hawaii.  My buddy Phil's sister got hitched in Jamaica.
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 5:47:01 PM EDT
[#3]
What you want is a United States license. That one is honored no matter where you go.
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 5:48:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I never thought it was a problem.  Look at how many people go and get hitched in Vegas from all over.  Or Hawaii.  My buddy Phil's sister got hitched in Jamaica.

I think the OP is trying to get to a different point- now whether it is gay marriage or CCW reciprocity, or some other thing, remains to be seen........
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 5:48:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Are you serious?

No he is  gay  
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 5:49:14 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

What you want is a United States license. That one is honored no matter where you go.

Hmm. Didn't know that. I haven't been married before. I was thinking that now that NY accepts gay marriage (if its the same license for straight couple) other states would either have to honor all NY licenses or none of them.

-Foxxz

Link Posted: 7/16/2011 5:49:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I never thought it was a problem. Look at how many people go and get hitched in Vegas from all over. Or Hawaii. My buddy Phil's sister got hitched in Jamaica.

Currenlty it's not a problem but it's going to become one soon because of gay marriage. If the USSC applies full faith and credit just right we can use that ruling for our CHPs.
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 5:49:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 5:50:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you serious?

No he is  gay  

uh... how did you know that fact? You're in NY... OP is headed to NY...

Link Posted: 7/16/2011 5:51:21 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Quoted:

I never thought it was a problem. Look at how many people go and get hitched in Vegas from all over. Or Hawaii. My buddy Phil's sister got hitched in Jamaica.

Currenlty it's not a problem but it's going to become one soon because of gay marriage. If the USSC applies full faith and credit just right we can use that ruling for our CHPs.

Thats exactly what I'm getting at. Congrats. You win the internets.

<––- Straight BTW
-Foxxz

Link Posted: 7/16/2011 5:53:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

As long as it is a hetrosexual marriage, and within the US, your marriage is valid wherever you go

If the license is the same for hetro or homo how can you accept one license over another if its similar in every way except the names/sexes listed on it.

-Foxxz

Link Posted: 7/16/2011 5:56:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

As long as it is a hetrosexual marriage, and within the US, your marriage is valid wherever you go

I think there are even limits on that. Some states allow cousins to marry, others do not. I just don't see West Virginia accepting that type of license from say Alaska.
Edit: That's a felony in WV.
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 6:01:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats exactly what I'm getting at. Congrats. You win the internets.

<––- Straight BTW

-Foxxz

They will find some way to weasel out of it.
Look at DC and Heller.
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 6:01:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If the license is the same for hetro or homo how can you accept one license over another if its similar in every way except the names/sexes listed on it.

-Foxxz

They are not similar in every way. State requirements to be granted a licence vary greatly between those that offer conceal permits.
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 6:03:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Are you serious?

No he is  gay  

uh... how did you know that fact? You're in NY... OP is headed to NY...  

He is coming here to marry me
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 6:04:14 PM EDT
[#16]
People think Arf got tense when NY passed the queer marriage act, wait until they try to make all states accept it. After all thats the road we're headed down.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 7:46:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Just get a learners permit!
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 7:47:37 PM EDT
[#18]
I just found out that if you get legally married anywhere, it holds up here in the US.

Same sex stuff, not so sure.
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 7:47:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes, tit's a big problem.  You should jerk-off before you decide for sure.
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 8:01:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Just something to remember get the license in the state you plan to marry in.  For example, if you live in VA do not get a marriage license in VA, thinking you will save a few minutes or the register of deeds will have it on file when you return.  Just get the license in NY and make sure you get a copy, if you ever have to answer questions like for a security clearance or something state you were married in *blank* county in NY.  

In NC our marriage license has it printed on it something to the extent "can only be excuted in the state of NC"  something like that.  Only means if a couple gets a marriage license from a county here, they have to get married somewhere in NC, not in VA, TN, etc.  If you were married in NY and moved to NC, the marriage in NY would be honored in NC; however I have no idea about a gay marriage.  

If you know the county you plan to marry in check their clerk of courts, register of deeds, or maybe vital statistics web page, probably has all the information you need; what type of ID, how much does it cost, do you need a physical, etc.  Even if a minister conducts the ceremony one of those offices will record the license. They could also answer your questions if you have concerns if another state would recognize their marriage license.

I do weddings pretty regularly at the court house, people call all the time with similar type questions.

Edit:  Just remembered we issued criminal papers for bigamy not too long ago.  Lady married a guy here in NC recently.  Come to find out she was actually still married to a guy in Texas or somewhere.  New husband called the cops to see what could be done since he did not know she was still legally married.  Cops called Texas and confirmed she was still legally married in Texas and charged her with bigamy here.
Link Posted: 7/16/2011 8:04:49 PM EDT
[#21]

It could very well come down to it.

There was a story out years ago where a black woman and a white man married in another state and were arrested when they returned to FLA I think it was, because FLA didnt allow them to marry but the other state did.

Link Posted: 7/17/2011 6:05:23 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

There was a story out years ago where a black woman and a white man married in another state and were arrested when they returned to FLA I think it was, because FLA didnt allow them to marry but the other state did.

Thats pretty messed up. Do you have a source for that? It seems kind of strange for them to be arrested. I would think at most FL wouldn't recognize the marriage.

-Foxxz

Link Posted: 7/17/2011 7:02:21 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats pretty messed up. Do you have a source for that? It seems kind of strange for them to be arrested. I would think at most FL wouldn't recognize the marriage.

-Foxxz

I don't think that is recent, I think that's circa Jim Crow era.
Link Posted: 7/17/2011 7:51:11 AM EDT
[#24]
I was married outside the USA and has never been a problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top