Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/17/2006 7:35:02 PM EDT
Today I got my income tax return and work study paycheck, giving me about $500 right on the spot. A large part of me wanted to put it all right toward a new gun, ammo, mags, or other accessories.

But no, I had to go and do the responsible thing by putting the tax return right into savings and endorsing my work study check over to the college. Even though I'm all paid up for this semester, I'm socking away every penny I get from the work study to pay for upcoming semesters. I reall would rather take my checks ($150 a week) and put it toward another AR, UZI, 1919A4, or anything fun like that.

It certainly ruins the fun to do the responsible thing sometimes......

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:36:30 PM EDT
[#1]
You done good.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:38:05 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You done good.

Only thing I can think of that hurt worse than today was taking my entire summer earnings ($3,000) and putting it into a Roth IRA. I know it's the right thing to do, but I would have LOVED to blow it all on guns!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:39:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You done good.

Only thing I can think of that hurt worse than today was taking my entire summer earnings ($3,000) and putting it into a Roth IRA. I know it's the right thing to do, but I would have LOVED to blow it all on guns!

You're young. The amazing power of compound interest will make this all worthwhile.

Be happy with the guns you have. There is always time to get more later.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:40:49 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
You done good.

You're young. The amazing power of compound interest will make this all worthwhile.

Very true. I read in Money Magazine that the $3,000 I put in now will equate to $30,000 by the time I want to retire.

However, it pisses me off that I won't be able to get enough $$ to make a full contribution for this tax year, which means in effect I'm missing out on $30,000 down the road...
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:41:11 PM EDT
[#5]
+1
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:41:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:41:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I'll get my tax refund and my 4th Q bonus next week.

About $30 grand combined.

I'm putting a new roof on the house and remodeling a bathroom.

Fun stuff, huh?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:41:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'll get my tax refund and my 4th Q bonus next week.

About $30 grand combined.

I'm putting a new roof on the house and remodeling a bathroom.

Fun stuff, huh?

Least you'll get a lovely roof and a purty bathroom
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:46:00 PM EDT
[#9]

The amazing power of compound interest will make this all worthwhile.

You forgot the tax-free compounding interest on top of tax-free compounding interest.  That really makes a difference.z
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:04:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
You done good.

+1

So many young people just don't realize that.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:05:18 PM EDT
[#11]
pansy
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:09:50 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
You done good.

+1

Not for me.  I am not going to live until retirement, so I spend pretty much everything I get, minus a very minor savings account for emergencies.  I have a problem with the idea that if I were to die tommorrow I would have large unspent retirement savings.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:10:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
You done good.

+1

-1 everthing else yes but guns no has not history proved that get in early and while you can
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:12:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I been putting up my money waiting on something, I dont know what.

I bought an AM180 a few months back I dont know why
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:14:58 PM EDT
[#15]
It's called growing up.  You did the right thing!   Good job!

Just remember it is all about the time...value... of money.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:17:23 PM EDT
[#16]
The real responsible thing would for you to go out and spend that money and be a better supporter of our economy. Saving money does nothing for our economy and just takes money out of the system, in effect ruining our economy. Damn leech.

Thanks a lot....jerk
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:17:42 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
You done good.

+1

Not for me.  I am not going to live until retirement, so I spend pretty much everything I get, minus a very minor savings account for emergencies.  I have a problem with the idea that if I were to die tommorrow I would have large unspent retirement savings.

+1 man
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:18:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
You done good.

+1

Yeah, immaturity works like that. So, are you gong to blow your brains out before retirement? Chances are that you will live beyond your retirement age. I guess you will be broke and relying on the rest of us to pay your sorry, shortsighted ass till death.

Thanks for that...

Bob

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:21:19 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
You done good.

+1

Yeah, immaturity works like that. So, are you gong to blow your brains out before retirement? Chances are that you will live beyond your retirement age. I guess you will be broke and relying on the rest of us to pay your sorry, shortsighted ass till death.

Thanks for that...

Bob

Bob

Something like that.  Maybe.  Once I start not being able to do what I want to do, support myself, have to take medication to stay alive, then I dont want to be alive.  I am far from immature, just realistic.  People live too long now anyways.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:26:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for that...

Bob

Bob

Something like that.  Maybe.  Once I start not being able to do what I want to do, support myself, have to take medication to stay alive, then I dont want to be alive.  I am far from immature, just realistic.  People live too long now anyways.

How old are you right now?

(Not tryinig to attack you, but just curious - because it SOUNDS like something that is quite immature and not quite thought through all the way.  You know, like ME at 17 )
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:27:23 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
You done good.

+1

Thanks for that...

Bob

Bob

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:33:58 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for that...

Bob

Bob

So at what POINT exactly, will you blow a giant hole out of the back of your head?

When you doctor tells you that you should take a blood pressure medication at age 50 to avoid a heart problem, but otherwise will be perfectly fine.

When you have knee surgery, and can no longer run that marathon, but can still play all other sports, bike, swim, etc?

These are obviously trivial questions, but my point is that aging and gradual deterioration are GRADUAL and INCREMENTAL, and every change for the worse will often only be SLIGHTLY different from what was perfectly acceptable before.  So it will be extremely difficult to determine precisely WHEN that point in time occurs.

More likely, what will happen is that you (like so many other people who promise themselves this when they are young and healthy) will easily live to be 70.

The DIFFERENCE is that somone liek roboman might be able to retire at 55, and have fifteen years of fun and relaxation and doing stuff that he enjoyes, while you might have to work every day of your entire life.

I'd rather plan ahead, just in case - and not have to work like an indentured servant, JUST IN CASE my plan to kill myself at 60 doesn't look as attractive when I'm 59 as it did when I was 25.  

Again - not trying to attack YOU personally, just explaining my viewpoint, and why I think roboman is very smart here.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:34:35 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
You done good.

+1

Thanks for that...

Bob

Bob

Hmmm, behind the curve, huh?  

Bob

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:41:11 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
You done good.

+1

Thanks for that...

Bob

Bob

Hmmm, behind the curve, huh?  

Bob

Hey I'm 23 right now and like his view. At least he is doing everything he can to make sure people like you have a job. Something none of you would have if EVERYONE saved all their money.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:48:33 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for that...

Bob

Bob

So at what POINT exactly, will you blow a giant hole out of the back of your head?

When you doctor tells you that you should take a blood pressure medication at age 50 to avoid a heart problem, but otherwise will be perfectly fine.

When you have knee surgery, and can no longer run that marathon, but can still play all other sports, bike, swim, etc?

These are obviously trivial questions, but my point is that aging and gradual deterioration are GRADUAL and INCREMENTAL, and every change for the worse will often only be SLIGHTLY different from what was perfectly acceptable before.  So it will be extremely difficult to determine precisely WHEN that point in time occurs.

More likely, what will happen is that you (like so many other people who promise themselves this when they are young and healthy) will easily live to be 70.

The DIFFERENCE is that somone liek roboman might be able to retire at 55, and have fifteen years of fun and relaxation and doing stuff that he enjoyes, while you might have to work every day of your entire life.

I'd rather plan ahead, just in case - and not have to work like an indentured servant, JUST IN CASE my plan to kill myself at 60 doesn't look as attractive when I'm 59 as it did when I was 25.  

Again - not trying to attack YOU personally, just explaining my viewpoint, and why I think roboman is very smart here.

I never said that roboman isnt smart - just doesnt work for me.  Money is meant to be spend, not saved.

I am allready disabled, so I can allready no longer run marathons or anything (I recieve VA benefits for it also), but I can do whatever I want otherwise (It will be a cold day in hell before I voluntarily run more than a mile, with my feet fixed or not - those days were over when I got my DD-214).

Late onset diabetes is pretty popular in my family, and if I ever get that, its over for me.  Same goes for a major injury, car wreck, whatever.  Otherwise, 55, or whenever I cant work anymore seems like a pretty good time to end it all.  
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:49:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Guess I better piss all my money away.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:01:36 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
The real responsible thing would for you to go out and spend that money and be a better supporter of our economy. Saving money does nothing for our economy and just takes money out of the system, in effect ruining our economy. Damn leech.

Thanks a lot....jerk

Hey, if anything by taking my money out of the system, it means there is less $$ to go around, making your dollars just that much more valuable!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:11:23 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm 27. I dont have enough saved up for retirement. I personally do NOT think guns will always be available.
In fact, quite honestly I will be absolutely floored if I can go buy an assault rifle in 2010. I would not be suprised if I cant buy a .50 as soon as 07.

I'm spending my tax return on GUNS. Retirement is all and good, but I do not think "they will always be there" as was stated earlier.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:48:31 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
I'm 27. I dont have enough saved up for retirement. I personally do NOT think guns will always be available.
In fact, quite honestly I will be absolutely floored if I can go buy an assault rifle in 2010. I would not be suprised if I cant buy a .50 as soon as 07.

I'm spending my tax return on GUNS. Retirement is all and good, but I do not think "they will always be there" as was stated earlier.

Damn. That is a very good point.....
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:01:02 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Money is meant to be spent, not saved.

You are wrong.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:01:58 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Money is meant to be spent, not saved.

You are wrong.

My money is meant to be spent.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:36:00 AM EDT
[#32]
When I was 16, there was a Cobra 289 (as I remember) sitting on one of the local car lots, it was almost new, the price tag was $5000.  I saw that and went home and begged my dad to buy it.  
He wouldn't do it though, he probably just put his money in the bank

So, just remember that today you could buy a .50 Cal rifle for $3000, what do you think a .50 will go for in 10 years? 20 years?

Son, I hate to say this but that $30K in 50 years wont buy you much more than the $3k will today

Wouldn't you rather have a .50?  

Besides, you might win the lottery next week or get shot by a jealous husband or catch bird flu In any case, you wouldn't have anything to worry about.

Do what any irresponsible 20 YO would do...Blow it!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:28:24 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for that...

Bob

Bob

I never said that roboman isnt smart - just doesnt work for me.  Money is meant to be spend, not saved.

I am allready disabled, so I can allready no longer run marathons or anything (I recieve VA benefits for it also), but I can do whatever I want otherwise (It will be a cold day in hell before I voluntarily run more than a mile, with my feet fixed or not - those days were over when I got my DD-214).

Late onset diabetes is pretty popular in my family, and if I ever get that, its over for me.  Same goes for a major injury, car wreck, whatever.  Otherwise, 55, or whenever I cant work anymore seems like a pretty good time to end it all.  

All I am saying is that when you are older, what SEEMS like a good idea now, may suddenly not seem such a brilliant plan after all, and if you change your mind, then it woudl suck to have to work for many more years than necessary.

Plus, if you do decide to hang around, with your medical conditions, but didn't save any money - then you'll essentially be a burden to everyone else, who will have to cover your medical costs, etc.

I understand that is your logic for why you wouldn't want to live into decrepit old age and be a burden - I'm just giving you a hard time because I HAVE SEEN people exactly like you, who ended up being old and decrepit and a huge burden on the people around them.  Like I said, things like different when you are 59 than when you are 60, and a lot of these things that appear to be "deal breakers" are going to slowly creep on an you, and it will never be clear WHEN it's gone too far.  When my grandfather was younger and healtheir, he adamently SWORE that he would never be a burden, and he woudl kill himself before doing that to his loved ones and society.  Altzheimers crept up on him, and before you knew it, he had lost the judgment and mental capacity to do what he wanted to, and no longer even remembered  He lived into his 90's, gradually becoming completely demented, and taking care of him resulted in my grandmother literally working herself to death.

I've had buddies in the army talk ADAMENTLY about how you might as well be dead when you turn 40, because at that point everything is starting to go to hell, and you'll never get back the physical health and shape that you were in.  They are now happily married and enjoying a great life, and look back on those attitudes and laugh.

So I am not trying to convince you that you are WRONG right now, I'm just telling you that things may look different when you get older, and things don't always work according to plan - so it's good to have planned for the contingency.

Plus, I'm not just saying it for your sake, in terms of advice, but also because IF you change your mind later, I don't want to be stuck paying for your medicare and medicaid and social security and all kinds of other benefits, when you are a completely broke 70 year old.     Well, I'll probbaly be dead then, so I guess it won't be my problem.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:38:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Hey Roboman,
Instead of spending money on important things like guns, my wife blows it all on stupid stuff like, food-house payment-utilities-insurance.  You know, crap like that.
I think it's good to plan ahead, just don't forget to spend a little on yourself and enjoy life some.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:47:17 AM EDT
[#35]
On doing the responsible thing:

"If—"
If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you;
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or, being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or, being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise;
If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with wornout tools;
If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on";
If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with kings - nor lose the common touch;
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run -
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
Rudyard Kipling, 1895.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:02:19 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
You done good.

+1  (You will thank yourself in the end)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top