Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2005 11:15:24 AM EDT
Man who reported marijuana farm upset by denial of reward
The Associated Press

YAKIMA - A man who said he and another bow hunter barely escaped with their lives after stumbling onto a marijuana farm is upset about being denied a reward after he reported his find.

"To have guys chasing you with firearms, I mean, we should get something out of this deal," the hunter, Mike Gambrell, told the Yakima Herald-Republic. "The people running this program, they just don't want to give up the money. It's a joke."

Washington State Patrol officials said the reward offer using a telephone hot line, 800-388-GROW, was designed in the 1980s to draw tips from pot smokers and others in the drug culture rather than discoveries by law-abiding citizens.

"This isn't for people who learn after the fact they could get money for this," Capt. Mark Couey said. "We're thankful (Gambrell) called 911, that he wasn't hurt -- and that he did his civic duty."

Gambrell, 39, a state maintenance technician, said he and Duane McFarland of Puyallup were hunting mule deer Sept. 3 in a steep canyon near Satus Pass about 25 miles northeast of Goldendale.

Nearing the bottom of the canyon, Gambrell said he met a man wearing camouflage who threw his hands in the air, took cover near a tree and drew a chrome-plated semiautomatic pistol. Thinking the man was a poacher, Gambrell hustled to catch up with McFarland on the canyon floor.

"That's when I realized I was surrounded by marijuana plants," he said. "I mean, the whole bottom of that canyon was like a corn field full of pot plants."

About halfway out of the canyon, Gambrell said, he and McFarland saw four men coming after them with rifles. With a head start of about 300 yards, the pair made it to safety in the woods and used a walkie-talkie to alert a friend, who called 911 on his cellular telephone.

State troopers and Klickitat County sheriff's deputies seized 1,079 marijuana plants but found no one to arrest.

Gambrell said he later learned of the hot line offering up to $5,000 for tips leading to the seizure of marijuana but was denied any money.

Couey said Gambrell failed to meet the requirements listed on the patrol's Web site -- that to receive a reward, a tipster must call the 800 number before alerting any other law enforcement agency and then call back within two weeks.

"He's trying to win the Lotto," Couey said. "I feel for him, but this program is designed specifically to entice people who would not otherwise normally come forward.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:19:54 AM EDT
[#1]
That will teach him to turn in pot growers!

Bet he doesnt do that again.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:22:58 AM EDT
[#2]
He learned never to help the police.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:24:29 AM EDT
[#3]
"He's trying to win the Lotto," Couey said. "I feel for him, but this program is designed specifically to entice people who would not otherwise normally come forward.

I think that group just got a lot bigger. Chintzy bastards.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:25:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Why give him 5K when some pothead turned snitch can get it instead?

EPOCH

ETA:  wonder how many 5K rewards they have actually given out?  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:27:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow, so because he wasn't a druggie snitch he doesn't get anything where as the aformentioned druggie snitch would have? I wouldn't be demanding a reward, but that is fucked up.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:29:18 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I think that group just got a lot bigger. Chintzy bastards.

Yep
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:29:47 AM EDT
[#7]
That'll teach him!

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:30:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Wow, so because he wasn't a druggie snitch he doesn't get anything where as the aformentioned druggie snitch would have? I wouldn't be demanding a reward, but that is fucked up.

It's really about contract law.  Rewards like this are unilateral contracts.  Generally, the guy who wants the reward needs to know about the reward before he takes action.  It sounds like this guy was about to get his rear beat and dialed 911.  He didn't call the police because of the reward, but because he didn't want to get beat.  It may not sound fair, but it's how the world works.

R.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:30:55 AM EDT
[#9]
This smells like the CIA in vietnam...  We give them a grendade, then they sell it back to us for $10.00.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:35:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Screw that.  The bow-hunters should get a bunch of crappy pot seeds and spread them around early next Spring in 3 or 4 areas, then "find" them next Sept during bow season!

Call it in of course on "the hotline".  

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:38:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Snitch!  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#12]
The snitch was probably trespassing.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 11:56:51 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's really about contract law.  Rewards like this are unilateral contracts.  Generally, the guy who wants the reward needs to know about the reward before he takes action.  It sounds like this guy was about to get his rear beat and dialed 911.  He didn't call the police because of the reward, but because he didn't want to get beat.  It may not sound fair, but it's how the world works.

R.

Screw that.  A reward for tips leading to an arrest are just that.  And the story doesn't sound like they were actively looking for growers for the reward.

"There is no honor among thieves."  Apparently there is no honor among the good guys either.

The line between the good guys and the bad guys just keeps getting more blurred...  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:38:00 PM EDT
[#14]
And now his name, and home town are in the newspaper, and a matter of public record. Maybe even his picture. He sounds too stupid to be alarmed by that little fact.

Bob
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:42:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Screw that.  The bow-hunters should get a bunch of crappy pot seeds and spread them around early next Spring in 3 or 4 areas, then "find" them next Sept during bow season!

Call it in of course on "the hotline".  

Hilarious!

That reminds me, when I was younger I had a friend who would always throw handfuls of seeds in the ditch along the roads.  Youd be surprised how big some of those plants got before they were discovered and cut down.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:45:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Damn there is a lot of talk on this board about snitches. Snitches are SCUM! Why anyone that believes in the constitution and freedom would even consider being a snitch is beyond me.  Remember WACO, caused by a snitch. ONCE AGAIN SNITCHES ARE SCUM!!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:54:00 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Damn there is a lot of talk on this board about snitches. Snitches are SCUM! Why anyone that believes in the constitution and freedom would even consider being a snitch is beyond me.  Remember WACO, caused by a snitch. ONCE AGAIN SNITCHES ARE SCUM!!!

And then again there are some that feel that certain things SHOULD be illegal, and that the laws that make them illegal should be enforced.

But a like you wouldn't be smart enough to realize that, would you?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:54:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

So if you live next to a crack house with a pile of dead hookers out back surrounded by marijuana plants, you wouldn't call it in because you would be a "snitch"?  

WTF, over.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:57:03 PM EDT
[#19]
This is ridiculous, pay the man!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:13:54 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Big +1.

Let's put aside the criteria for their "reward" program.  Most places of work would give a reward to someone that did the company a huge favor.

I'd say he just did the local JBTs a huge favor.  He's entitled to a reward for that.  On sheer principle alone, give the man something!

The local JBTs were probably giving their "protection" to the pot growers and were in on this...Did this happen in Spurbury?    Wait, wrong side of the country...
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:14:24 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

What are you?  Snoop Dogg?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:20:44 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Big +1.

Let's put aside the criteria for their "reward" program.  Most places of work would give a reward to someone that did the company a huge favor.

I'd say he just did the local JBTs a huge favor.  He's entitled to a reward for that.  On sheer principle alone, give the man something!

The local JBTs were probably giving their "protection" to the pot growers and were in on this...Did this happen in Spurbury?    Wait, wrong side of the country...

Ummm, I know this is real tough to understand................... he called the police so they could come save him, and investigate his claim of being attacked. Oh, and there happened to be marijuana there too.

Shouldn't have to pay people to do thier duty as citizens.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:25:39 PM EDT
[#23]
So, he goes to the police and admits, he smokes marijuana.  He can turn in his supplier.  Why would a druggie turn in his dealer and never get his fix again?  The dealer might get a little upset and rub him out.   The dealer would know him from past sales.  

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:26:54 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

R.

Screw that.  A reward for tips leading to an arrest are just that.  And the story doesn't sound like they were actively looking for growers for the reward.

"There is no honor among thieves."  Apparently there is no honor among the good guys either.

The line between the good guys and the bad guys just keeps getting more blurred...  

There is no blur here.  This is well established law.  Just because it's news to you, doesn't make it new or some kind of bizaro moral issue.  

R.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:28:45 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Ummm, I know this is real tough to understand................... he called the police so they could come save him, and investigate his claim of being attacked. Oh, and there happened to be marijuana there too.

Shouldn't have to pay people to do thier duty as citizens.

From how I read the article, he realized the pot was there BEFORE the 911 call.  So, it's not like the pot was discovered during the ensuing investigation.

"That's when I realized I was surrounded by marijuana plants," he said. "I mean, the whole bottom of that canyon was like a corn field full of pot plants."

About halfway out of the canyon, Gambrell said, he and McFarland saw four men coming after them with rifles. With a head start of about 300 yards, the pair made it to safety in the woods and used a walkie-talkie to alert a friend, who called 911 on his cellular telephone.

I'd say his 911 call went something like this:
       "Hey, I'm being shot at by some crazy pot growing Mo-Fo's with 10/22s and .38s!  And they're bumpfiring at me!  I'm surrounded by pot and there's bullets whizzing by me, get your SWAT out here, in the mean time, I'm gonna hide my dogs."

Regardless, he still did them a favor, at least give him something.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:00:52 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

R.

There is no blur here.  This is well established law.  Just because it's news to you, doesn't make it new or some kind of bizaro moral issue.  

R.

Yep--Law School, Contracts, 101.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top