Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2001 5:07:35 PM EDT
Ok, here is my question. I have Ar15. When I place the magazine in the lower, and pull back the handle, my understanding is that the bolt should be held in place, somehow..(the magazine is empty). Now, what should hold back the bolt?? Does the bolt get held back by this device that has a thumb like external handle on it(from the outside)?
If so, My bolt can barely be held back. It just slips off this flat device that looks like it should come up from underneath it and rise up about 5 mm to hold bolt. Mine seems to only come up about 1mm and if you shake the gun, it will drop the bolt. What is wrong???
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 5:11:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Put a empty mag in it then pull it back. Try it.
GG
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 5:13:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I have done that. Thats what I am saying. If I pull back bolt with empty mag, the bolt can be jared lose and will drop. Something is NOT holding it back, correctly..
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 5:48:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 6:49:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry about this being in Legal column. I forgot where I was...Do you want me to move it?
Also, I did what you suggested, however, the problem is still that this hold-open devise does not seem to come up far enough to hold the bolt. Could this be by design for this receiver. I can not remember, if it ever held the bolt open. Were some receivers made to not hold the bolt open on an empty magazine?
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 8:38:47 PM EDT
[#5]
No, your question was answered so let's just let it die a natural death.  No harm no fowl.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 8:53:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Pull the takedown pin, and first check and see if you have good movement in the bolt hold open lever if you move it manually. If you cant move the lever very much by hand then you probably have some kind of blockage in the pocket that holds the return spring for that lever. If you have a good set of punches and have an idea of what your doing then you can remove the pin holding the lever in, and see whats up with the spring and the spring pocket. Just be careful when removing the pin, its easy to put a nasty scratch on the reciever. If you don't want to do it yourself it's probably not a real expensive fix for a good gunsmith.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top