Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2001 2:29:04 AM EDT
Are you a blaster or a sharpshooter with your AR's?

Do you need a 30 round mag, or can you get your hits or groups with a 10 rounder?

Could you have fun by bringing only one round, loading it, and making a precision shot (inside of 2 MOA) at 100 yards or more with your rifle?
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 2:32:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Always make the first shot count.  In hunting once the first bullet leaves the barrel the game is off and running.  Having 30 shots doesn't help if you can't see 'em no more.  I would rather use 10 good shots than 30 bad ones anyday.  But,  I also want to have 30 possible good shots at my disposal as well. [:D]

I definately have more fun shooting for the center of the target than sending a bunch of lead down range.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 4:13:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Every one shot group I have is under 2 MOA.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 4:28:19 AM EDT
[#3]
How about making the first shot count....and every other one, rapidly?
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 4:32:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Both.

It's always fun when you can shoot one inch groups when iron sights.

But it's also fun to blow up old radios, pumpkins, near empty spray paint cans, jugs of water, anything that comes apart when you shoot it.
Interactive targets are a blast.

I always do both everytime I go to the range.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 4:52:10 AM EDT
[#5]
If I can hit a man size target in the torso area @ 100yds, I am content. I don't feel I have to get all the bullets into one hole. I don't train for competitions or sharpshooting. I train for defensive purposes. That means shoot fast and get the fuck out of the situtation ASAP. Point and shoot. Engage multiple targets and drop em fast. If they call that spray and pray, then be it.

But then again I'm a lousy shot too [:D]
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 4:57:27 AM EDT
[#6]
[I][B]Make every shot count[/I][/B].  Controlled, aimed fire has a higher hit rate than spraying.  The most effective standing combat stance is a shoulder mounted position looking across, not through the front sights. As you advance on the target, swing through and look across the front sight with both eyes open at the target area.  Hit rates for a man sized target approach 80% with this method in field trials as opposed to 40%or less firing from the hip.

Personally, I make the first shot count when I have the time.  If it doesn't do the job, I want to know why.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 5:00:09 AM EDT
[#7]
After posting that last reply, it occurs to me that I misunderstood the first question.  In a high stress combat situation, high volumes of fire are definitely an advantage if they are well aimed and hit the target.  Marksmanship is a great thing if you can indulge it, but he who hits the most targets the quickest wins!
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 5:32:33 AM EDT
[#8]
R.A. Heinlein wrote:
Get a shot off fast.  This upsets him long enough to make your second shot perfect.
View Quote

I lean toward sharpshooter.[sniper]
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 7:44:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 8:43:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Posted by Halfcocked:

Every one shot group I have is under 2 MOA.
View Quote

That's pretty funny! Doesn't matter where that first shot goes!
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 8:51:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Hell Yeah! I let it rip full auto and call it a day!  It's more fun that way.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 8:59:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Training priorities: Tactics, Accuracy, Power, [i]THEN[/i] Speed (T.A.P.S.)

SARguy
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 11:20:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Definitely a Sharpshooter, make the first shot count since you may not have time to fire a second one. In a gunfight there is no second place, only he who wins and he who dies.  

Sniper for Justice          

VINCE AUT MORIRE (Conquer or Die)
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 12:19:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Originally posted by Atomic Punk:

Make the first shot count or rapid fire?
View Quote

ALWAYS, ALWAYS shoot rapid fire and never make the first shot count.  How else are you going to make a movie plot last?   Lots of rapid fire scenes could mean box office smash!   Ya, ya, people love all the gun action!!  
[uzi]                    [pistol]  

You  [u] are [/u] talking about movie characters and guns aren't you?   [:I]  Heh Heh

[b]-RoadDog[/b]  
[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/Gif/scooby1.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 12:27:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Philosophy on this matter is completley reliant on how you were raised...

If you were raised hunting and shooting as a child, you will be precise with your shooting, and hit what you aim at.

If you bought an AR because you saw some movie, and thought they looked cool, you will spray and pray.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 7:02:00 PM EDT
[#16]
How's that saying go? You just can't miss fast enough... .
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 7:11:03 PM EDT
[#17]
I like making each shot count. I admit I'm a cheapskate, ammo gets expensive...

[heavy]
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 8:00:35 PM EDT
[#18]
This sums it up for me. One round, one kill.  As quickly as possible.

[b]"MY RIFLE"

The creed of a United States Marine by Maj. Gen. W.H.Rupertus, USMC

This is my rifle.  There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My rifle is my best friend.  It is my life.  I must master it as I must master my life.

My rifle, without me is useless.  Without my rifle I am useless, I must fire my rifle truew.  I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me.  I must shoot him before he shoots me.  I will...

My rifle and myself know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make.  We know that it is the hits that count.  We will hit...

My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life.  Thus, I will learn it as a brother, I will learn its weaknesses, its strenghts, its parts, its accessories, its sights, and its barrel.  I will ever guard it against the ravages of weather and damage, I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready.  We will become part of each other.  We will...

Before God, I swear this creed.  My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country.  We are the masters of our enemy.  We are the saviors of my life.

So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but peace![/b]

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 8:20:53 PM EDT
[#19]
One shot, one kill. But it is fun throwing rounds down range as fast as you can.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 8:30:13 PM EDT
[#20]
how about 30 shots 30 kills?
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 9:48:18 PM EDT
[#21]
It depends, if you are shot at first or bushwacked and they miss always send shit rapid fire to regain your composure. Always! Though you are basically throwing every which way but loose but your opponent doesnt know that. Sometimes sound can make a big impression, and knowing alot of bullets are coming your direction changes ones attitude. If you have the drop then aim first.As far as mag. cap. 30 is the way to go. Better to have 30 and not need them then 10 and need more.
GG
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 10:01:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 10:10:35 PM EDT
[#23]
I am effective out to 300 yards with the AR15.  If there is anyone left after that I wait till they get with in 25 yards and then I switch over to the AK47 and use the figure 8 method[:)]

sgtar15
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 10:34:15 PM EDT
[#24]
One shot, one kill.
29 whitetails, 29 shots, all with rifle.
300 H&H magnum. 150 grain bullet.
Many taken at 400-500 yards. Many taken running.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 12:31:09 AM EDT
[#25]
the army ran several test in the way of spray and pray over aimed fire. the came up with quite obviouse results they concluded that at close range you should fire with you eye to the sight but you don't have to precise aim as long as you hit is ususally okay(this is usually if you are on the losing end of a mutual contact or ambush, however I would recomend semi accurate fire always). at longer ranges they found that aimed fire is the only way to go. one thing that I found particulary interesting was for the navy seal standard ambush proceedure entails the team get in a squad type formation, and empty at least one mag of full auto per person. the two people on the ends toss frag grenades and and the heavy machine gunner empties a whole belt. standard op proceedure for sog for braking contact included emptying a whole mag, and then switching over to three round burst and the to semi. all of this was done as they dissapeared into the jungles and reformed. most of the spec ops bad asses seam to favor the idea of making themselves seem like a much larger force by using maximum violence for a short period of time and picking the enemy off when they lose their calm due to the stress of being shot at. personally I believe in being therow so would double tap in center mass or head depending apon which I thought I had a better chance at hitting, and if their were more than one I would proceed to follow this s.o.p. unless I was cornered in which I would put out as much hell as I could while simultaniously trying to escape and evaid.

if in doubt empty a clip. (works better with full auto).
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 1:44:48 AM EDT
[#26]
With regard to markmanship skills, the first shot is the most important shot. I have on many occassions set up for a one shot opportunity on a target or steel plate and if I miss I don't fire another round. Instead, I put the rifle up and finish my outing by pistol practice or by shooting a different firearm for the day. This makes me respect that first shot.

I don't think I'd be as concerned with this discipline in a combat scenario (except sniping) but rather would want the best hit ratio possible while avoiding getting shot myself. If that meant having fire superiority or a delivering a higher volume of fire against an opponent as a tactical option, then so be it. If the environment was not conducive to errant shots due to innocent life then I be back to one shot-one kill thinking.

The question I posed in the beginning is about markmanship not battle.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 10:40:13 AM EDT
[#27]
personally I do practice for combat and marksmanship. I beleive that this thread is not a really burning question, but more of just a thread that was started to stur up a good discussion. I beleive that this is exactly what he has done and I applaud you, and I also think that these type forums that are important because they allow us to really think out of the box. personally I like to shoot to make one shot count and to practice rapid fire excercises. and also I like to switch distances and every time so that I can be proficient with all different types of shooting. and although it is gratifying to shoot one single shot into the very center of a target at 100 yards or more I also cant resist the urge to rock and roll and empty out a whole mag in a few seconds, personally I use it for stress relief as well.

you know what they say happiness is a hot muzzle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top