Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2002 7:36:43 PM EDT
Or so they think! I'm tired of it!
These bastards think it's funny, but it's not. We live just at the right distance off the highway were we have become victims to litters and mailbox bashers. It's mostly people that are out partying. They throw there beer bottles and cans out just before they reach the highway (Our front yard). Some of them think it's funny to target our box with their empty beer bottles. Our mailbox is full of battle scars. I just don't know what to do anymore?
I'm about ready to pour a concrete piller with a hidden camera built in for a mail box. [BD]
Does anyone have an idea as to how I could solve this.
I have even thought of allowing the local sheriff to have the use of my driveway as a speed trap.

On the bright side, I can make a little extra money on the aluminum cans they toss.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 7:48:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Someone here had a similar problem recently. Teh guy built a fucking armored mailbox and posted pics of it. It was ruthless looking!!
Anyone remember this? Fish up the thread if you do!

-T.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 8:00:01 PM EDT
[#2]
You might want to contact your local PD/SO, and maybe even the postal inspector's office, since this kind of thing constitutes a felony.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 8:04:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Did you consider shooting bootles, thrown towards your lawn, out of the air ;)

Edited to add:

I'm not a lawyer, I don't play one on TV, this is not legal advice, hell, this isn't even advice.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 8:05:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Someone here had a similar problem recently. Teh guy built a fucking armored mailbox and posted pics of it. It was ruthless looking!!

-T.
View Quote

I remember this.. a smaller mailbox inside a larger one.. cement lining between 'em!   was kick@ss!!  [:)]
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 8:05:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 8:12:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

-T.
View Quote

I remember this.. a smaller mailbox inside a larger one.. cement lining between 'em!   was kick@ss!!  [:)]
View Quote

Thats exactly the one I was thinking of.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 8:14:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Just to let you know, the post office has specific guidelines as to what a mailbox can be, how far from the road, etc. We had the local P.O. send out letters once in Fairbanks telling folks they had to start complying or their mail would not  be delivered. There was some comments about liability if  someone ran off the road and hit a barricade...er... mailbox. I have to say though, I've seen plenty of reinforced mailboxes along country roads so I can't see where there's been any "legal" troubles over it. Too bad you can't rig up a dummy box that shoots out a dead skunk at them when they try something again. Of course YOU have to load the thing up![;D]
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 8:30:53 PM EDT
[#8]
That's a good idea, I think I'll try the little one inside of the big one filled with concrete. I have seen stupid people throw half empty beer bottles out in my front yard, while I was out in the middle of the yard. These idiots didn't even look to see if anyone was standing outside.
Then to top it off, they were driving too damn fast to get a license number.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 8:35:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That's a good idea, I think I'll try the little one inside of the big one filled with concrete. I have seen stupid people throw half empty beer bottles out in my front yard, while I was out in the middle of the yard. These idiots didn't even look to see if anyone was standing outside.
Then to top it off, they were driving too damn fast to get a license number.
View Quote

Dude, are you sure they weren't [i]trying[/i] to hit you? Driving by too fast to get a plate, may be deliberate.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 8:37:08 PM EDT
[#10]
A guy on my delivery route did the "bunker" mailbox thing. I'll have to ask if it was effective. He had the same problems with miscreants as you, sid. Some people just live to piss other people off.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 8:47:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Arm, no he wasn't aiming at me. He never came close to me, the idiot was probably just drunk and wanted to ditch his bottle before he got to the highway. The intersection just down from my house has been known to be a radar hangout occasionally.
Link Posted: 3/25/2002 9:07:33 PM EDT
[#12]
... Reverse psychology; paint a big target on it
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 12:30:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
... Reverse psychology; paint a big target on it
View Quote

Now here's a man who thinks outside the box. [:D]

Edited to apologize for the pun
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 2:57:58 AM EDT
[#14]
I cured the problem by getting a PO box and pulling up stakes on the road box deal. Neighbors tried the plastic vandal proof box but it doesnt hold up well to explosives. Had police stop kids bashing boxes in neighborhood, caught with hocky stick matching dents in box and still no bust. Just too much serious stuff going on to go after these kids.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 3:33:15 AM EDT
[#15]
I built mine out of 3/8 boiler plate. The original plan was to mount it on a bigass truck coil spring so that it would give on impact but the PO said it had to be rigid so I went with 2" schedule 40 pipe. The pipe will bend into a nice 'C' shape when hit at 35 mph by a 89 Oldsmobile but the box is still perfect. That was proven at the expense of a drunk highschool kid. He broke his car. It is a tough mofo mail box! When I would get bored, I would shoot at it with my .22s and get a satisfying plonk sound when I connected.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 3:28:45 PM EDT
[#16]
when i was still a dumbass kid me and my buddies used to mess with mailboxes occasionally.  we kept messing with one in particular.  i really have no reason why but i guess we thought it was fun at the time.  anyways the one night we put one of those echant(sp?)bombs in his mailbox.  next thing we hear is a bunch of gun shots.  we about shit our pants.  we all hit the floor in the car and got the hell out of there.  i dont think he actually aimed at the car just shot a few rounds in the air but it scared the hell out of us and we never returned.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 3:51:38 PM EDT
[#17]
I had the same problem and thought about a million different options.With liability being an issue,my wife found a $7.00 mailbox at Walmart?Target?(I forget where) that is virtually indestructible.You can step on it and crush it to the ground and its shape comes right back.I've noticed some marks on ours but it seems to be exceeding my expectations.Try one.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 4:00:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
when i was still a dumbass kid me and my buddies used to mess with mailboxes occasionally.  we kept messing with one in particular.  i really have no reason why but i guess we thought it was fun at the time.  anyways the one night we put one of those echant(sp?)bombs in his mailbox.  next thing we hear is a bunch of gun shots.  we about shit our pants.  we all hit the floor in the car and got the hell out of there.  i dont think he actually aimed at the car just shot a few rounds in the air but it scared the hell out of us and we never returned.
View Quote

hehehe put the fear of god in you huh,,??
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 4:04:49 PM EDT
[#19]
yeah... needless to say we never messed with peoples property again!  :)
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 4:17:08 PM EDT
[#20]
My uncle in Alabama had such mailbox issues, and he took care of them by welding up a heavy steel liner that just fit inside a standard (large size) mailbox like he uses.  It was made of half inch plate, and the services of a machine shop (at a major defense contractor where he worked at the time) were enlisted to make the sucker.

He put it up,and waited.

Kids in that area tend to prefer doing drive-bys with a good hard swing at the box from the window of a moving car.

Ever since he put this monster up,  from time to time he finds the shattered remains of a baseball bat or a hockey stick lying near the mailbox.   And coincidentally, a few kids have come in to the emergency room with a shattered arm or wrist at about the same time, and of course they always 'fell' or something.

His mailbox hasn't been so much as looked at funny for a couple of years.

And he's a reserve deputy, too.  He's taken a cruiser home from time to time and parked it in the driveway as a gentle reminder for the unwary.

Perhaps the funniest part is that my uncle's wife has put those shattered bats and sticks to good use, as stakes for her plants....always staked up out front where they'd be visible to passing cars, especially if the occupants were busy checking out the mailbox.

CJ

Link Posted: 3/26/2002 4:17:54 PM EDT
[#21]
I live in the country outside of Wichita, KS  and an now on my third mailbox in two and a half years at my current address.  The first one was shot at point blank range with a 12 GA and blew a 6" hole clear through the box (and the mail inside it).  This was done in the middle of the day.  

The other two were done in with baseball bats.  

I had come to the conclusion that if I ever caught someone doing it I would fire off a few rounds to get their attention.  However about a year ago down here some kids were bashing mailboxes a few miles north of where I live.  A guy and his 16 year old son are watching TV and see someone pull up to their mailbox and get out of their Bronco.  The guy and his son jump into a pickup and chase the kids bashing the mailbox.  After a car chase for a few miles, the Bronco stops. The 16 year old kid decides to get out and 'shoot into the air to scare them'.  He shoots once, and puts a 22 cal bullet through the head of the 16 year old kid in the Bronco.  Ends up they were in the same class in the same high school.  Decided then that shooting anywhere in the vicinity of one of these mailbox bastards probably wouldn't be a good idea.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 4:25:32 PM EDT
[#22]
There was the "beefcake mailbox incident of 1993"

Kids took out one of my Dad's friends mailbox 3x in one month. He constructed a new one using a 8" steel I-beam buried 3 feet into the ground and hand made the box out of 3/16" diamondplate.

Some teens decided to run it over and got bashed up. One filed suit against the guy.
The suit was dropped because the kids were drinking.

Link Posted: 3/26/2002 4:27:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 4:48:03 PM EDT
[#24]
The first guy who puts reactive armor on his mailbox would be worshiped as a god here at AR15.com [:)]
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 5:34:31 PM EDT
[#25]
General Dynamics makes the reactive armor for various armored military vehicles, just in case anybody really wants to know...

www.gendyn.com

CJ

Link Posted: 3/26/2002 6:13:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
General Dynamics makes the reactive armor for various armored military vehicles, just in case anybody really wants to know...

www.gendyn.com

CJ

View Quote

would that be an AOW or DD?

ian
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 8:31:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Always wanted to try this, but we do not have this problem.

Take a large mail box, and build a collapsible frame in it to hold a smaller one.  You should reinforce the outer shell of the bigger box so when hit, it collapses.  Then take and put some sort of breakable door, out a light weight plastic or something.  It should be setup so the inside box can still be opened.  You should now have an empty space around the smaller box with the end lightly sealed.  Then fill this void with paint, the more the better.  So when they smack the box, the front opens up spraying the car with paint.  Some sort of rubber bladder may be better.

Some variation of this could be made to work.  Then it would be easy to find out who did it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 3:02:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Just to let you know, the post office has specific guidelines as to what a mailbox can be, how far from the road, etc. We had the local P.O. send out letters once in Fairbanks telling folks they had to start complying or their mail would not  be delivered. There was some comments about liability if  someone ran off the road and hit a barricade...er... mailbox. I have to say though, I've seen plenty of reinforced mailboxes along country roads so I can't see where there's been any "legal" troubles over it. Too bad you can't rig up a dummy box that shoots out a dead skunk at them when they try something again. Of course YOU have to load the thing up![;D]
View Quote

There was a 16yo killed here last year when he ran off the side of the road and it a brick encased mailbox. Yes the law suit is pending, it is illegal to build "structors" on the states R.O.W.

R35
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 4:01:05 PM EDT
[#29]
i designed a mailbox that would destruy whatever hit it.

note i said "desighned", if i built this thing i would goto jail..

simple really, here goes.

1 large metal box, as outside shell, inside this place a small metal box, made from heavy guage steel. secure with non- conductive material. make about an half inch between the shell and inner box, and place on common places (sides) probes that come within 1/8 inch of inner box.

take 9v battery (like in the smoke detector) ground the - pole to the outside shell. pack the gap between the boxes with c-4 and place blasting cap in the c-4, wire the blasting cap to the inside box, and to the + pole of the battery.

so when someone tries to make the box go "bang" it really will..

but like i said if i built this i would end up in jail.

have fun [:)]
Link Posted: 3/27/2002 4:37:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Maybe if you put up a mailbox of this design out in the middle of nowhere, preferably on land that isn't anybody's private property...?

I can see the headline:

"Mystery Mailbox Explodes, Kills Three Hoodlums
on Public Land. Authorities Mystified."

CJ

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top