Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 4/12/2001 3:10:02 PM EST
[Last Edit: 4/12/2001 3:09:49 PM EST by __McUZI]
What is the status of importing pre-ban mags from other countries?? I have a guy in Norway right now who has some fairly reasonable prices on pre-94 FML Glock 17 Drop-Frees, and I want 'em. I am always hearing politicians talking about "working hard to ban the importation of pre-ban high-capacity feeding devices", so I figure it is still legal, so long as they are pre's. Please only answer if you know for sure. I think it might be a gray area. If you don't know, let Mr. Steve answer. Thanks for any help McUZI
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 4:23:16 PM EST
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 5:03:01 PM EST
How bout Fed X?
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 5:26:07 PM EST
It is still possible, but I heard the gun grabbers are trying to make it illegal. You have to have an importers license and do a bunch of paperwork. You'll need certifications from the country of origin that the mags are indeed pre-ban.
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 5:26:45 PM EST
Originally Posted By ipschoser1: How bout Fed X?
View Quote
I heard about a guy who has relatives overseas and has a glock mag thrown in with every christmas package that the family gets. His brother always throughs in all kinds of cheap diecast toys, just in case the packages are x-rayed. You just have to remember to present as confusing a picture as possible to the old X-ray inspectors. The same thing goes for a visual inspection. I use to fix copiers and carry a brief-case toolkit. I fixed copiers in quite a few jails and prisons where your toolbox had to be searched. This would take up a lot of my time.I would have all of my tools all neat in the proper pouches and they would go through and pull out everything. One time I was in hurry from a previous call and had just thrown all of my tools,helter-skelter, into my briefcase. I opened it to a prison guard to be searched, and the guard just looked at the mess of tools and let me pass. I then started to have a messy toolkit 100% of the time and was never subjected to anything more than passing glance inside my briefcase. The moral is that the best way to hide something is to put it in plain sight but to make the picture as confusing as possible.
Link Posted: 4/12/2001 6:38:46 PM EST
Wait a minute. Hold the phone. I often do transactions with a guy in Germany (Totally non gun related) buying Stamps and Covers. Sometimes pretty high dollar stuff, I have never had to deal with customs b4. Is it a gun thing? I have yet to see anything in the BATF yellowbook about this.
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 9:15:07 AM EST
Link Posted: 5/21/2001 9:53:06 AM EST
McUZI: anytime you bring anything into the US from a foreign country for purposes of commerce, it's subject to customs inspection, and possibly excise taxes/import duties. Where guns and ammunition are concerned, you need an approved Form 6 from the ATF, in addition to any required Dept. of State documents for the import. Magazines are generally not a controlled item, but since 94, >10 round magazines have extra requirements. Not being an importer myself, I don't know exactly what those are, but if you were to write the BATF, Customs and Dept. of State, they could tell you what kind of documentation is legally required.
Link Posted: 5/22/2001 4:57:15 PM EST
How about we DONT call THEM, and HOPE someone who KNOWS the REAL answer to this responds...... BTT......
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 7:50:25 AM EST
Sure, Cav - let's HOPE.
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 2:58:55 PM EST
First of all, we all know that the prohibitions of 18 USC 922 apply to not only interstate commerce, but also "foreign commerce". Sorry if I am insulting intelligence, however, I did not want this overlooked by anyone. From what little I have discovered (way outside my bailiwick here), you do need to jump through at least a modicum of Custom hoops (not sure exactly what documentation is required or license type)when importing "ammunition, firearms and [i]implements of war[/i]". You also must, as Circuits referenced, fill out and comply with an ATF Form 6, Part I (Part II is military), however, I don't know if a Class 1 license is required if the importation is for personal possession only and not for sale. I will dig further if anyone is interested since all I've really done here is verify what others have already stated. PS: Please ignore any intimations of the fruitfullness of illegal activity (ie. foreign smuggling) that Locknload's reply might convey. No flame, just would not want to give anyone the impression that the anectodal information conveyed was advice on how to "get away" with illegal activity or that this behavior is condoned in any way. Always stay legal.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 10:00:13 AM EST
THANKX STEVE !!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/5/2001 8:42:03 PM EST
I just found out that all the Glock mags for sale in Europe are now being made with the words "Not for sale in USA" on them. This definetly lets ATF know it's a post-ban mag. This also keeps everyone from smuggling them over.
Link Posted: 6/6/2001 8:59:38 AM EST
A Form 6 is required for importation of a high capacity mag (even if it is less the $100.00). You do not need an importers license to import but will need an FFL. A FFL holder may make "occasional" imports for the purpose of adding to his personal collection or for a resident of his State (including firearms). There is some documentation needed to verify the mag's pre-ban status and that it is legal to export this item from the county in question. An FFL holder may request the proper forms from the ATF, they are listed on the reorder card.
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 2:17:15 PM EST
How about just the mag tube?
Link Posted: 6/19/2001 3:46:10 PM EST
i think ust the tube would g olike any other package where the sender would just mail it to u can fill out that decleration stamp and put magazine tube on the outside or something
Top Top