Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2002 9:40:43 AM EDT
I,ve had a Dish network satellite for a year now. Couldn,t wait for my contract to end. Every time it rains you loose the signal. its really annoying they don,t tell you that when you buy it. and when you call them they say it will stop when the weather clears up DUH. when its raining thats when i stay in the house and watch TV.anyone else have this problem?
         ammo1015
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 9:51:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I've had Dish Network for 18 months now, and I've had 3 outages.  Two for about 8 minutes or so and one because my dish had so much snow stuck to it that it looked like a snowman...  Been exceedingly happy with their service and support sofar, too.

wannabe
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 9:52:54 AM EDT
[#2]
When in doubt KILL it!! and take pics.[:D]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 9:56:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 10:07:31 AM EDT
[#4]
When I first got my Dish dish, it stanketh.

Eventually, i figgered out the problem was the Dish Player, with the read-write CD that was used to record movies and stuff.

I asked them to send me their base model receiver (without all the NON-WORKING bells and whistles) and now my service is fine - and less expensive.

Correct me if I am worng - but EVERY satellite service COULD have problems when it rains heavily, cuz the signal ain't getting to you.

Link Posted: 1/21/2002 10:22:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 10:26:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Maybe check the signal strength meter that is in the setup menu of you receiver.  If it is low when weather is good then it will really drop off when you have inclement weather.  You should be able to adjust the dish slightly to get a better signal, or change transponders (this is in setup as well).

I have DirecTV and have NEVER had an outage in three years.  I get a booming signal (94 out of 100) and a crystal clear picture.  I'll never go back to cable.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 10:36:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Doesn't rain ehough here for that to be an impact on me.  I do have a problem with heavy snow in the winter though.  I friggin hate both the cable and sattelite companies and am thinking about going back to rabbit ears since I watch so little TV.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 10:42:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Guess it jsut depends on what part of the country you live in and the type of weather you have. My buddy in CA has Dish and have never had an outage. He swears by it up and down.

I have Dish and everytime we have a storm watch mine goes out. The longest was around 1hr.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 11:16:04 AM EDT
[#9]
ammo1015, you might want to check the aim and polarization.z
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 11:16:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted: When I first got my Dish dish, it stanketh.

Eventually, i figgered out the problem was the Dish Player, with the read-write CD that was used to record movies and stuff.

I asked them to send me their base model receiver (without all the NON-WORKING bells and whistles) and now my service is fine - and less expensive.

Correct me if I am worng - but EVERY satellite service COULD have problems when it rains heavily, cuz the signal ain't getting to you.

View Quote

First off, you're right - that's probably the biggest drawback to sat. service.

I've only had one outage due to rain - about a year ago...

G-man, I believe the DishPlayer has an actual hard drive that it writes to... I have one, and I've peeked through the top and don't see anything big enough to be a CD drive (RW or otherwise) - but I have seen a HD sized package....

I have also had some problems with my DishPlayer, but will upgrade when we move (sometime in the next year) to the latest hardware...hopefully that will solve the problem.

I really can't complain about the service though.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 12:03:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 12:08:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
G-man, I believe the DishPlayer has an actual hard drive that it writes to... I have one, and I've peeked through the top and don't see anything big enough to be a CD drive (RW or otherwise) - but I have seen a HD sized package....
View Quote

Best I could tell, they had a mouse on a caged wheel in there, cuz the flippin thing never worked.

I have also had some problems with my DishPlayer, but will upgrade when we move (sometime in the next year) to the latest hardware...hopefully that will solve the problem.

View Quote

That's just it - I DOWNGRADED my receiver, and that is when my service got better.

Its their "latest" technology that sucketh the big tail pipe.

IMO, go with their basic receiver, and you'll be much happier.

Link Posted: 1/21/2002 1:08:59 PM EDT
[#13]
My Direct TV has been fine for 2 years. I do not loose signal in rain. I have lost signal with severe thunderstorms, usually for 10-15 mins. I'm happy with Direct TV.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 1:15:04 PM EDT
[#14]
I've had DirecTV for four years now, and I've always been very happy with it.  I got tired of dancing with my cable company, so I went out and bought a Sony basic model in '98.  The menu system is better than anything digital cable has to offer.  It's faster to tune, and I can deal with an occasional outage.  Now I'm looking at UltimateTV so I can record.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 1:30:57 PM EDT
[#15]
The only time that I had any receiption problems, with Dish Network, was when I first got it and didn't have the post buried deep enough.  The wind would cause it to move, then I lost receiption. After I buried the post 2' with cement I've had no problems.

Jamie
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 1:37:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Check your signal level even looking at a few trees onthe fringe of my path I pull 95-96% consistently and only loose signal if thedish gets packed with snow (not a problem with a dish heater) or severe thunderstorms pass over.
Probably needs to be tweeked up a little you should be getting between 80-100% signal if you are down at 65-75% you are marginal and the signal can get interupted easily.
Changing transponders can help too I can see a 5-10% point diffence between transponders (there are about 32 avialable) Unless you are in the arctic circle or the dish is mounted onthe ground looking through evergreens you should be able to get a good signal.If you are loosing signal that often something is wrong.
In NC you have a higher angle and a better shot at the sattelite than I do. (published specs say around 50 or so deg for that area but I have found that to be shallow often closer to 60 degrees was nesscessary in the southern US.
if you decide to tweek it yourself do it one axis at a time in really small increments. radios and a helper are a big plus. This can be really really frustrating so be patient make an adjustment and wait a second or two for the signal meter on the TV to react. I can loan you a satellite signal meter to use at the back of the dish if you need it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 3:15:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Changing transponders can help too I can see a 5-10% point diffence between transponders

Just wanted you to know that the transponders change when you change channells. You can not just pick one transponder and think it will work all the channels.

You do need a satellite signal finder to optomize your signal strengh. Set your trasponder on # 1 and try to peak it at or around 110 to 120%. This will give you a good range on all transponders. Also check to make sure that your mast is securely attached to the wall or if you have it mounted to a pole, mAke sure it is level and in the ground firm. One other thing I can tell you is if you have it mounted to a 4X4 you will always have trouble with it. The 4X4 will warp with the weather. I allways use a metal pole, 1 1/4 ID. Look at the trees, Are there any in the line of path. You will need a speacal compase for this , On that shows degrease up and down, I could tell you the name but I dont know how to spell it. You may have a tree in the way and when you have nasty weather the top sways int the signals path.

If you dont get it fixed E-Mail me and I will help. It is what I do for a living.

Next thing you can do is call Dish Net and tell them that it wasnt installed correctly and you would like for them to do some thing for your trouble. They might give you a couple months off your bill.

Link Posted: 1/21/2002 3:17:13 PM EDT
[#18]
got one of them 16 footers in my back yard.  No outages here in 9 years

Keving67
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 3:21:39 PM EDT
[#19]
One more thing

To all Direct Tv Dish owner,

You sux and your dish is junk. You pay way to much for your programming.

Dish Network has A deal that you can save your self with.
Buy a Dish Net 500 for 199.00 and get free install. And get programming for 9.00 a month for the first year for 100 channels. What a deal. We have the new instant weather that you can view the weather in any state and city for up to 5 days.

Also Have a great deal on free 2nd reciever with freee install.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 3:48:43 PM EDT
[#20]

I've been with them for about 5yrs now and have only had a couple of problems. Nothing like the 10ft dish I used to use,that thing would screw up in a little wind and when we would get snow.....forget it. Can you picture having to try and clean snow off a 10ft dish on a 10ft pole(Had to mount it high to clear the tree line)with a broom duct taped to a piece of PVC pipe.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 3:55:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
One more thing

You sux and your dish is junk.
View Quote

Just wondering if you happen to like carrots?
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 4:01:05 PM EDT
[#22]
All of your dishes are belonging to us
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 4:09:56 PM EDT
[#23]
I have had my Dish Network service for a year now.  Only a couple of minor outages.  The only thing I have against them is FSTV.  The Boulder Colorado based commie station with ass programming like "Together We Can Stop Capitalism,"  "Dyke TV,"  "The War and Peace Report,"  and other leftist claptrap.  I'm sorry that I have to pay for this filth.
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 4:13:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
One more thing

You sux and your dish is junk. You pay way to much for your programming.

Dish Network has A deal that you can save your self with.
Buy a Dish Net 500 for 199.00 and get free install. And get programming for 9.00 a month for the first year for 100 channels. What a deal. We have the new instant weather that you can view the weather in any state and city for up to 5 days.

Also Have a great deal on free 2nd reciever with freee install.
View Quote

Well, I can AFFORD HBO and a few other premium channels. And when I installed it myself(took all of two hours) the result is superior to what some GED holder dish installer is going to do. It's really not very hard. Just think, Dishnetwork and DirecTV are merging - you will have said YOU suck!!!

Jus kiddin BTW!!!
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 8:47:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Well there is nothing like a 10 foot dish with a GI 4DTV receiver. something like 8 HBO 7 Showtime, 6 Cineamax , 4 TMC. And don't forget 7 XXX movie channels. Top that with your little salad bowels. [peep]

St. Louis Bob
Link Posted: 1/21/2002 9:39:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's just it - I DOWNGRADED my receiver, and that is when my service got better.

Its their "latest" technology that sucketh the big tail pipe.

IMO, go with their basic receiver, and you'll be much happier.
View Quote

We've got one of the basic receivers upstairs, it works fine (as you've noted)... but I really like being able to rewind - it's a big help for when I do't quite hear what they've said, and I couldn't read their lips. (I'm deaf in on ear - reply helps a bunch[:)])

It seems to have a fit about one every two months, and having worked on "set-top boxes" I can understand why ... so I can put up with it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 12:47:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Well there is nothing like a 10 foot dish with a GI 4DTV receiver. something like 8 HBO 7 Showtime, 6 Cineamax , 4 TMC. And don't forget 7 XXX movie channels. Top that with your little salad bowels. [peep]

St. Louis Bob
View Quote

What? No Starz (12 Channels?) Pay per View available to you? How about the digital music channels? Or, oh, 30 or so sports only channels? How about OLN? Can you get American Shooter?
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 1:42:55 AM EDT
[#28]
I have Dish Network and for the most part it's pretty good.  Both Dish Network and Direct TV are susceptible to weather related outages.  I've heard that applying something like Rain-X to the dish helps prevent outages.

The DishPlayer 500 is known for it's problems.  I have one and want to shoot it every time it screws up.  Typically, it shuts down for no reason, programs recorded disappear, scheduled program entries disappear, etc.  The bad thing is that Dish Network knows about the problems but generally wont do anything about it.  They would rather you just upgrade to the DishPlayer 501.

One last thing.  I sure hope the merger goes through with Dish Network and Direct TV.  Hopefully, with the increased bandwidth of all those new satellites, the picture artifacts and pixelation during fast motion will go away.

USPC40

-------------------------------------------------
[b][blue]NRA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.nra.org[/url]
[b][blue]GOA Life Member[/blue][/b] - [url]www.gunowners.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAF Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.saf.org[/url]
[b][blue]SAS Supporter[/blue][/b] - [url]www.sas-aim.org[/url]

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/USPC40/alabamaflag.gif[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top