Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2001 1:38:40 PM EDT
I need to know if those m4 handgaurds worth getting. I mean yeah I think they look cool as shit, but I've been wanting to mount a surefire on my AR and Bushmasters selling a fairly cheap mount that clips into the A2 handgaurds. Think they want $30 for it. Just how much of a differance do these things make as far a keeping those handgaurds from getting to hot?
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 1:42:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I was thinking of buying some M4 handguards myself.  Also want to know if it's worth the $50. and I assume they will fit on any carbine, is this correct?
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 1:44:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't run full auto, so I really don't care too much about the insulative properties.  I do love them for the way that they fill up your hand, though.  

And yes, they will replace any standard carbine handguards.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 1:49:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 1:57:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I don't think it would really matter unless you are firing full auto, or burst. If you don't go nuts with your AR on semi it really shouldnt make a big difference. If you go wild with your rapid fire, without taking time to cool the barrel between cases of ammo, then maybee you would get some benefit out of the M4 handguards. I would get them for the cool factor...They look cool[}:D]
View Quote

I agree with you on going crazy rapid firing your semi-auto.  I did it, even with the aluminum heat shields, the old CAR15 handguards heated up a bunch.  If you rapid fire your AR, you may want to consider it as money well spent.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 3:57:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I think Gunsmoke has them for $43 delivered.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 4:02:51 PM EDT
[#6]
forget cool factor....
i got them because they are thicker than the shorty handguards. they have a fuller feel to them. as your attorney, i advise you to get them.. CB [@:D]
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 4:29:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I love mine.After a hour of shooting,the barrel is too hot to touch,but the M4 handguards don't feel hot at all.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 4:32:27 PM EDT
[#8]
They are very nice and definitely worth the price.  One word of caution though they don't work with most Gooseneck style mounts which position a red dot sight over the handguards.  This is the reason I don't have a set.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 6:12:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok, so is that to say that I'm shit out of luck if I want to have M4 handgaurds and mount a red dot aimpoint on my fixed carry handle? Or will the red dot work ok if mounted on top of the carry handle since supposedly with Aimpoints can view the red dot from any angle or cheek weld and remain accurate?
Also, are A2 handgaurds still standard issue for the miitary? It would seem to me that if they were worried about the handgaurds getting to hot during a firefight they would equip their rifles with M4 handgaurds. Of course if I understand correctly their rifles aren't fully auto anymore, gone to semi-selector with three round burst.
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 9:43:27 PM EDT
[#10]
i own a pair of colt m4 handguards and dislike them. they make the front end heavier. they also dont fit so well if your barrel is full heavy. i have'nt been able to sell them in the local gunshop. i replaced them with colt a2 handguards from YTM distributors.

a2 shorty lib
Link Posted: 5/2/2001 9:53:54 PM EDT
[#11]
the reflex gooseneck works fine - aimpoint and eotech do not as far as i know

i have m4 handguards on both my 'carbines' as they are meatier to hold on to and they look tight especially with a pencil barrel

the military have m4 hand guards on their m4s and do not run the car15 style anymore.  i think the very early prod m4s did.  and the m4a1s are full auto.

steve
Link Posted: 5/3/2001 6:18:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Just use the bottom half if you have clearance issues with your optics.  It still fills up your hand, yet allows clearance for extended mounted optics.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top