Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2005 3:18:42 PM EDT
Posted this on the other board and didn't get much response so I'm trying it here:

I purchased an BM M4 upper a couple years ago and its been faithful to me.  Relatively accurate and reliable.  I'm a newbie to M4 style rifles and the question at hand is in regards to feed ramps?
I've heard of 'polished' or 'throated' (?) feedramps or something along those lines.  Can someone line me up and this term and explain to me:  1) should the M4 upper have them, 2) should they be 'polished', 3) who can do it?, 4) 'throated'? (terminology?) and what performance enhancement, if any, besides reliable feeding will it offer or supposed to offer.  I'm sure I don't have my terms correct here and would like some input from those in the know.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:21:52 PM EDT
[#1]
there was a thread in the AR section a while back about this, about feedramps and how you shouldn't try to throat them, iirc.  let me see if i cant find it for ya
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:23:28 PM EDT
[#2]
ah here it is, this may help
linky
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:24:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Colt has their own proprietary "M4 feed ramp" that you won't find on other mfr's M4's
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:25:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Not sure if you tried the AR Discussions forum, they would have answers for you.
My experience has been that ramps need to be sufficiently clean, but not neccesarily polished.
I havent dont anything special to the feed ramps on my M4 style upper and it eats whatever I feed it. The difference I have seen between the 'M4' style ramp is that the ramp is cut into the bolt reciever flanges, where I have seen other uppers where the ramps cut starts a bit higher on the reciever face. Both have worked fine for me, so frankly, I think that as long as you are working with a quality upper, slap in on a lower and go shoot it.

If it present problems, revisit the issue...if it shoots without feed problems, I say leave it the way it is.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:29:37 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks for the replies

after checking the link its obvious that I don't have what is widely known as M4 feed ramps
thank for the info
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top