Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2001 3:17:09 PM EDT
Just curious...who here has fired an M203 before? How's it like? Anyone know the latest models/mounts? Which ones are the best?  
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 4:28:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Although I was not a M203gunner in the Infantry,I did fire one on a couple occasions. From what I remember they are pretty accurate with a little practice. The kick was not to bad either, no more than a 12 gauge shotgun with slugs or sabot rounds in it. I never fired the shotgun round out of it so I don't know how much recoil they had. I don't know about different models. The ones I shot were from the late eighties.

No Slack!
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 6:41:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 6:48:44 PM EDT
[#3]
One time during a CAX,
our happy
group of shooters
was given the [i]awful[/i]
task of assisting NBC
by lobbing 40mm gas grenades
at other elements
scattered about the Palms.

Two ended up cracking
by the end of the day.
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 6:53:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I've shot plenty of them in the Corps.  Troy is right on the money with his comment.  The practice grenades have little recoil compared to the HE (High Explosive) or HEDP (High Explosive Dual Purpose) rounds.  Those little buggers have a kick to them.  Something more like a 10ga shotgun.  The flechette rounds don't kick that bad nor do the "bee hive" rounds.

Most of our guys would tuck the rifle stock under their arm tightly and use the Leaf or Quadrant sights to aim.
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 7:00:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 7:29:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Doesnt the M4 have a "grenade launching" position on the telestock that is supposed to give you a proper reach distance to the M203 trigger. Cause with the A2 stock it would be a little long for most shooters. I know from using shotguns that proper reach is important for dealing with hard recoil.  Shorter is usually better than longer (for me anyways) but with a AR too short would get you hit in the face with the carry handle.

I'd love to shoot one just with TP, I would give just about ANYTHING to shoot some HE through one. Oh well (sigh) some things just werent ment to be.

As a side note, to anyone whos played Delta Force or DF2 on the computer, dont you hate it that the M203 has NO sights at all in it? I am just finally getting to be somewhat good at hitting some things with it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 8:35:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replies. I've also been told that you can actually see the 40mm grenades fly through the air...? How's the HE bang like? Really loud? And wouldn't mounting a 203 on an M4 make it all really awkward to carry (i.e. front heavy)? Sorry, lots of questions, but I'm really interested in this weapon!

Also, if you've got any cool pics of the 203, post 'em up!!
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 8:39:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 8:58:52 PM EDT
[#9]
No 203's but how about some 79's?

[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/012/CV/t3/tR/0S25400.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 6:06:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I just bought a Colt M203, a dreaded reweld but for $600, heck I can live with it... Now if only the papers would hurry up...

And the funny thing is, not many people I know think it was a good buy...  what do you think?
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 6:11:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I just bought a Colt M203, a dreaded reweld but for $600, heck I can live with it... Now if only the papers would hurry up...

And the funny thing is, not many people I know think it was a good buy...  what do you think?
View Quote

you got a smoking deal I have seen then sale at $2300 new never seen a reweld for sale but I'm sure there still very expesive
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 6:12:20 PM EDT
[#12]
[img]home.att.net/~satcong/wsb/media/18266/site12.jpg[/img]

I was issued the M79 along with my M16 because I could hit something with it. That's mine by the Browning .30 on one of perimeter defense positions.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 6:16:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now if only the papers would hurry up...
View Quote

Papers? I am not familiar with what papers are required in the USA.

Ai
View Quote
class1/2 ATF papers regester destuctive devise
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 6:24:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
class3,

Thank you for responding.

Are papers also required for the rounds as well?

Ai
View Quote

Yes  if there explosive and hard to get I mite add you can buy dummy round thou
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 12:47:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Hey Bat, love the wombat gun ( was looking at some a week ago), we still use 'em, as for the .30, we use that too in our M113s with a T50 turret, along side a .50 M2. That phot would damn near fit in East Timor, but we have no flex mounts. Good photo Mate!
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 12:49:38 AM EDT
[#16]
We still use the M203 on the M16A1, and now the M203PI on the AUG. Have not fired it on the AUG, but the other a few times. Cool, and not as much recoil as you'd think.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 2:13:27 AM EDT
[#17]
I have fired many rounds though the M203 and seen a lot of people fire the M203 underarm, but mortar style with the butt stock on the ground, Only seen that done like once or twice and that was to shoot flairs (hard as hell to see the leaf and cannot see the quadrant site).  I really never noticed a big difference in the recoil of the various rounds, all the training rounds are ballistically matched (very close in weight) to the HE HE/DP rounds.  Hence, POI/POA the sights being very close.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 4:25:44 AM EDT
[#18]
I carried one for awhile, hated the awkwardness of the rifle (20' barrel). I Probably wouldn't like it much on the M4 either.  It was decently accurate out to about 300 meters if I remember.  And, yes, I thought it kicked pretty good with the HE/HEDP rounds.  Heres a few pics I found...
[img]http://www.webshots.com/photos/imgs3/12/2812-mid.jpg[/img]
[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/037/ve/Mm/ST/mt98592.jpg[/img]

KIWI
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top