Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2001 8:37:53 AM EDT
OK guys, I'm finally gonna buy an M1A, but I don't know whether to get it in synthetic or wood.  It really makes no difference to me, but I can't really inspect them before I buy it so I would like to know what all of your experience has been.  I like the idea of saving a 100 bucks on the synthetic, which i can put towards the scope and mount promotion springfield is having right now... but I would still like to hear what you all have to offer...

Thanks ahead of time...
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 8:41:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Synthetic.  Zero is not effected by moisture, temp, etc...

You can also paint them over and over and over...
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 8:42:18 AM EDT
[#2]
synthetic..harder to break when your butt strokin an Evil mutated gaint Bunny!
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 8:43:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I have an M1A that currently wears a black crinkle coated synth. The wood that came on it is sittin' in the gun case because it's F**KING gorgeous and I would never forgive myself if I scratched that piece. Get the synth and save yourself the $$ and the room.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 8:44:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 8:48:50 AM EDT
[#5]
re: the Springfield promotion -

I did hear the 6x40 gov't model scope is JUNK.

FYI.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 8:53:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Laminated wood.....check out McMillian web site..or Fulton Armorys section on M1A McMillian has a great article on synthetic M1A stocks glass vs kevlar
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 8:53:23 AM EDT
[#7]
that would explain why they are practically giving it away... but it looks perrty in the pictures! hehe
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 9:09:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Go with the synthetic. GI is OK. If you plan on scoping the rifle or competing get a McMillan.

The 6X40 scope is a POS. If you have ever used a good scope you will notice the difference.

The Springfield mount is also a POS.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 9:17:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Anothergene:

Have you checked out Fred's M-14 page in Shotgun News? Fred sells original E2 stocks in various condition from excellent to serviceable. Quite pricey though but I suppose its because of the rarity. BTW I have ordered from Fred's and he is a good guy to deal with.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 9:33:09 AM EDT
[#10]
If its M-14 stocks you want with superior service and unbeatable prices check out

www.sparrowhawkm14.com
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 9:40:59 AM EDT
[#11]
i like the wood - walnut just feels nice against your cheek (the one on your face, by the way)

steve
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 2:40:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 2:43:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I would say wood, for some reason I feel wood is the appropiate stock for this weapon. But with a redbirch M14 stock on order and a complete USGI parts kit including stock, I am gonna have both.

Like said before they are real easy to change.

Kuiper
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 3:19:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 3:25:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Kuiper....what's the firearms selection like in the N.L. for the average citizen? Class III? Are there limitations?

I'd love to see a pic of the inside of a good gun shop over there.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 3:35:21 PM EDT
[#16]
For accuracy, I have synthetic for both of mine, but I am ordering a couple red Birch from Fred's for looks.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 3:45:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 3:53:28 PM EDT
[#18]
My vote is for synthetic. Personally don't care much for wood on a combat rifle. Synthetic is much more durable and stable.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 4:19:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Mine's wood, 'cause that's what my M14 was in basic training.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 4:57:08 PM EDT
[#20]
I tried both wood and synthetic and went with the wood because the standard synthetic felt like a cheap POS. If you want synthetic, get a McMillian or something of similar quality.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 5:04:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Man I wouldnt care what it had...
I would just love to have one. What a fine piece.
congrats on the purchase.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 6:38:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm with Gunmonkey. I took my American Walnut "Collectors" stocks off and put them in a gun sock. I bought two synthetic stocks - one's painted tactical [;)] black the other desert sand.
View Quote

Paul, where did you get the stocks and how much were they? Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 6:43:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Synthetic. I have a Fred's and the issue stock.
I prefer the issue stock for feel and looks but the synthetic is going to take more abuse and holdup better. Mine is in day desert pattern.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 7:10:59 PM EDT
[#24]
I have them both. I love a wood stock but they can be dinged up over a period of time. My black synthetic looks as new as the day I got it. Synthetic won't crack, dent, scratch, warp. I like them both but synthetic just seems to last forever.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 7:11:30 PM EDT
[#25]
i had the synthetic stock on mine... it shot great! felt great, and looked pretty good, too
: )

the wood stock seemed heavier, also

my two cents...

Jeff C/NY~~Blade
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 8:43:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Wood.  That black crinkle thing is ugly.  A GI synthetic stock isn't too bad, but the rifle looks more natural (and purty) with the real deal.
Link Posted: 6/20/2001 8:56:27 PM EDT
[#27]
I’ve got both stocks; the synthetic is the one on rifle. As much as I like wood, I prefer synthetic since:

It seems a little lighter than the wood.

The pistol grip is very slightly smaller around (and I got short fingers!).

The wood is smooth (and slippery) while my synthetic has molded in checkering.

My synthetic is Springfield Armory but may be different than the one you’re looking at.  They have (or at least used to have) two synthetic stocks, one with the military buttplate (the one I’ve got}, and a cheaper one with what I can only describe as a non-standard buttplate.  Since the price is lower, I suspect you’re looking at the second stock, so everything I listed above is meaningless. If my assumption is correct, make sure you can live with that buttplate.

Great gun – it, and the FAL, are the ultimate examples of the traditional battle rifle!!
Link Posted: 6/21/2001 5:01:51 AM EDT
[#28]
199... I agree... it was a tough decision.  I couldn't decide which rifle to get... the M1A or the FAL.  I've wanted the M1A for a long time though and I only recently started seriously looking into the FAL so I finally decided on the one that I have wanted for some time now.  I'm sure I'll own a FAL someday too!
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 4:04:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Get two synthetic stocks, one USGI brown color synthetic and then the synthetic camo of your choice from Fred's of Shotgun News.  I recommend the USGI nylon sling over the cotton web sling.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 4:14:51 PM EDT
[#30]
I recently got a deal I couldn't refuse on an unfired M1A with the wrinkle finished fiberglass stock. I always preferred the walnut stock because it looks so much nicer and more traditional. After shooting it a bit, however, that black stock turned out to be OK. It's more comfortable to shoot with that big rubber butt plate and should be indestructible, although the paint is not.
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 4:53:18 PM EDT
[#31]
I have the wood on mine currently.  Looks great, feels nice, but it is heavy.  Also, there is no sicker feeling than coming home from the range and finding out you "dinged" your stock, which I did.  I am saving my pennies for one of Fred's cammo'd synthetics.  If you have any questions to how they look, I will attest that the Desert scheme looks fabulous, and I am confident the others are of the same quality.

Zane
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 5:04:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Get the wood stock and then just buy a synthetic GI stock for a couple of bucks.  They're dirt cheap and you can use that as your beater stock.  I have both for mine, and I actually like the GI synthetic better for handling, but the look and feel of real wood is hard to beat.  

Ross
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 5:31:06 PM EDT
[#33]
[size=4]GET BOTH ! [/size=4]

If you're buying to the rifle new, save money and get the black synthetic stock.
You can get a walnut stock later for less money.
Boyds has nice new stocks[url]http://www.boydboys.com/[/url]
I got this Walnut stock from Fred's for $35, if I remember correctly...
[url]http://www.shotgunnews.com/members/fred/pages/Fredspagesindex.html[/url]
[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/027/MS/uZ/wE/v780970.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 5:57:33 PM EDT
[#34]
MiniZ, this rifle ain't no Weatherby, it's supposed to be a combat rifle.  Dings add character!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top