Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 6:08:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

A past like his is disgraceful.

He only worked his way through the ranks, fought as an infantryman in Korea, became an officer, led companies and battalions of infantry in Vietnam. I'd hide my head in shame with a past like that. He definitely didn't earn a right to speak.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never called Col. Hackworth a POS, but were I him (if he were still alive), I wouldn't have been questioning Lt Col. North's character with a past like his.

He only worked his way through the ranks, fought as an infantryman in Korea, became an officer, led companies and battalions of infantry in Vietnam. I'd hide my head in shame with a past like that. He definitely didn't earn a right to speak.

He retired under a cloud of controversy over character issues for the reasons cited above, then had to admit that he hadn't earned the Ranger tab he claimed to have been awarded during his time in the Army.  Of course, this is after he questioned CNO Adm. Boorda and the awards he wore (before he committed suicide).

"It is simply unthinkable an experienced officer would wear decorations he is not entitled to, awards that others bled for. There is no greater disgrace"-his words.

The irony is thick.

I don't Oliver recall North attempting to smear anyone, but Hackworth made a habit of it because his ego was too big to handle anyone else being in the spotlight.  He was a leftist anti-nuclear activist, and I have ZERO respect for leftists, regardless of their service.

You can have him.
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 6:10:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I like him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He did his duty, then was the scape goat.

I like him.

He hates communists.

I like him too.
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 6:16:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
About every officer of his generation I know hates him for being self serving and a publicity hound.  

But several Marines who worked for him in the past have nothing but good to say for him.
View Quote

Well, "publicity" is part of being a war correspondent, so I don't know what they have their panties in a twist over.

He wasn't able to retire in order to receive the pension he earned, so he had to make a living somehow.  

I've witnessed first-hand the petty jealousy that you describe, and I always shake my head and wonder WTF is so wrong with people that they despise others for being successful?
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 6:28:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 6:34:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

He retired under a cloud of controversy over character issues for the reasons cited above, then had to admit that he hadn't earned the Ranger tab he claimed to have been awarded during his time in the Army.  Of course, this is after he questioned CNO Adm. Boorda and the awards he wore (before he committed suicide).

"It is simply unthinkable an experienced officer would wear decorations he is not entitled to, awards that others bled for. There is no greater disgrace"-his words.

The irony is thick.

I don't Oliver recall North attempting to smear anyone, but Hackworth made a habit of it because his ego was too big to handle anyone else being in the spotlight.  He was a leftist anti-nuclear activist, and I have ZERO respect for leftists, regardless of their service.

You can have him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never called Col. Hackworth a POS, but were I him (if he were still alive), I wouldn't have been questioning Lt Col. North's character with a past like his.

The irony is thick.

You can have him.

This is news to me. Earning that tab means a lot to a lot of people. If he lied about having earned it, and got caught, he'd be blackballed by his peers.
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 6:55:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 7:09:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This is news to me. Earning that tab means a lot to a lot of people. If he lied about having earned it, and got caught, he'd be blackballed by his peers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The irony is thick.

You can have him.

He removed the tab he claimed he was awarded from his website after he was called out on it publicly.  Hmmmm...  His story as to how he "thought" he rated that tab seems rather shaky to me.  As an officer, I would think he would have been diligent in maintaining and updating his personal records in regards to awards and decorations.  I would think being awarded the Ranger tab should be easy enough to prove, regardless of what the standards were during the Korean War, or whether he was awarded the tab in the field or not.    

Whatever.  The point is, that he sat on a high horse calling others out, and didn't have his shit wired tight enough to withstand personal scrutiny himself.

In the context that his past was full of flawed judgement, who gives a fuck what he had to say about Lt Col. North?
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 7:11:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

hackworth made a career out of smearing people and blowing his own horn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The irony is thick.

You can have him.

Seems like it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 7:12:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I bumped into him in the airport in Doha in the mid 2000's and we chatted for a while. Seemed like a nice guy.
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 7:16:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The irony is thick.

You can have him.

and getting his soldiers killed so he could put himself in for more medals.
fuck hackworth.
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 7:18:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

He hates communists.

I like him too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
He did his duty, then was the scape goat.

I like him.

He hates communists.

I like him too.

His willingness to do what was needed in South America lead to the defeat of ussr backed commie sand the eventual halt of communism in the 80s down south.  This was despite some communist congressmen actively aiding the communist forces.

That alone is heroic...no to mention the commies he smoked with a 12 gauge in Vietnam.  

Link Posted: 11/17/2013 7:23:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Well, "publicity" is part of being a war correspondent, so I don't know what they have their panties in a twist over.

He wasn't able to retire in order to receive the pension he earned, so he had to make a living somehow.  

I've witnessed first-hand the petty jealousy that you describe, and I always shake my head and wonder WTF is so wrong with people that they despise others for being successful?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
About every officer of his generation I know hates him for being self serving and a publicity hound.  

But several Marines who worked for him in the past have nothing but good to say for him.

They were referring about his time on Active Duty; to get a flavor of some what they alleged you can read "The Nightingale's Song"
Link Posted: 11/17/2013 7:58:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

My old man retired from the AF as a full bird and strongly dislikes him.  I always guessed it was due to the belief that he tarnished his oak leaves.

I took my Grandfather (NCO with Marine Raider Bn in the Pacific) to some local book signings.  North always took extra time to jaw with him about their service.  My Grandfather really liked him for his service and always thought he did the right thing.  When my Grandfather died, I was given all his autographed books.

He lives local to me and I have run into him at the grocery store a few times over the years.  He was a quiet guy when doing regular people stuff.  Ran into him a couple of times when helping my Grandfather do some shopping and he recalled their conversations and took a few minutes out of his day.  For putting a smile on my Grandfather's face, he will get a thumbs up for me.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top