Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/17/2019 12:49:24 PM EDT
I needed a new tile saw today, so I got online and found one at Lowes that looked good.  I bought it and specified in-store pickup.  About an hour later I got a call from the store telling me they didn't actually have any in stock.

This crap happens all the time with them.  I can't tell you how many times I've tried to buy something there and even though the website says it's in stock, and even specifies what aisle it's in, it doesn't actually exist anywhere in the black hole that is the Lowes building.  Even the employees are unable to find shit when I ask for help, if you can actually find anyone working there.  I don't know if it's just my local store or if all Lowes stores suck, but I'm done with that shitty place.

Weak rant, CSB, I know.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 12:57:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a similar issue with Home Depot. Needed ten tool kits to distribute to my students. Ordered for pickup. Then they notify me they don't actually have them all, despite the stock levels saying they did.
"Hey, but the store thirty miles from here has the other four you need"
Oh, the store thirty miles from here that uses the very same shitty inventory system?
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 1:00:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Varies from store to store.  The closest one to me is terrible at keeping things in stock.  The other three really good.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 1:00:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Never rely on what the website says. If its anything like where I work it doesn't update until after the store closes.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 1:04:38 PM EDT
[#4]
It all comes down to management.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 1:05:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Never rely on what the website says. If its anything like where I work it doesn't update ever.
View Quote
FIFY

Local Home Depot still shows tools in stock that I tried to buy two weeks ago. They don’t care.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 1:06:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Id actually call the store before buying. Just to be sure. Because I’ve been burned too many times.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 1:06:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I waited for a 20 minutes while the employees at Lowes looked for the washer I was trying to buy. They couldn't find it. I just bought a different one.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 1:09:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Hard to inventory what’s walking out the doors.

I think they only true up once a year
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 1:09:19 PM EDT
[#9]
The inventory system doesn't take into account the thieves.  If it says less than five it more than likely is out of stock.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 1:13:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I needed a new tile saw today, so I got online and found one at Lowes that looked good.  I bought it and specified in-store pickup.  About an hour later I got a call from the store telling me they didn't actually have any in stock.

This crap happens all the time with them.  I can't tell you how many times I've tried to buy something there and even though the website says it's in stock, and even specifies what aisle it's in, it doesn't actually exist anywhere in the black hole that is the Lowes building.  Even the employees are unable to find shit when I ask for help, if you can actually find anyone working there.  I don't know if it's just my local store or if all Lowes stores suck, but I'm done with that shitty place.

Weak rant, CSB, I know.
View Quote
What is wrong with you Boomer wannabes?  Go to the store.  See if it is there and buy it.

If not there, go to Chick Fil A.  Or if you get it go to Chick Fil A.

See how easy life can be.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 1:16:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I visit Lowes and Home Depots across about half the country every year.  As a general rule the Lowe's stores have far worse inventory control -- to the point that at some stores it is laughable -- and their store layouts are complete chaos from one location to the next.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 1:16:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I refuse to do business with Lowes.  The very few times I have gone in one it was always a shit show.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 1:16:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I live 110 miles from Lowes and Home Depot. I never trust their website and always get verification that they actually have the item I need.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 1:17:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The inventory system doesn't take into account the thieves.  If it says less than five it more than likely is out of stock.
View Quote
This exactly. I ran a department at Menards for a year and it was almost impossible to be 100% accurate on all 60,000 skus in my department. We counted 500 every day and still couldn't keep up
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 1:18:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hard to inventory what’s walking out the doors.

I think they only true up once a year
View Quote
Very true on both counts. My local Lowes had over $70k in tool loss this year. Doesn't help when the night stockers just throw pallets up in a random department because their shift is over and they need to get pallets off the floor before they leave.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 1:20:20 PM EDT
[#16]
I quite often have that same problem with Lowes also.
But so far I don't experience the same issue with Home Depot.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 1:24:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Every time I've ordered a clearance item for store pickup, they've always had it, even with 1 left showing in stock.

They did refund me in the silliest method recently and it backfired as well. I bought a TV antenna, picked it up, and noticed it dropped by about $18-19 a few days later. I stopped in with my receipt later in the evening for an adjustment. They did it via this thing called a customer appeasement invoice, which I was emailed, and had to sign and send back, which I did in store. The refund would've been less than $20 but she decided to make it an even $20. I was like, "Ok, whatever gets me the hell out of here the fastest."

A few days later I see an email from my Amex stating that I received a refund of only $3.20. I was like wtf, called corporate, they called the store, and corporate was confused on the store's notes as to why they changed the refund amount. I said just refund me the difference between the $3.20 and the $20, and why was it even handled hours way. They ended up crediting me back $20.

What a mess of a refund. That's the first time ever I've been told you'll get back so and so $, but it didn't happen. Always check subsequent activity on your CC statement after anything questionable.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 1:26:27 PM EDT
[#18]
I have never found this to be true at the Lowes I go to.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 1:26:59 PM EDT
[#19]
It's not just Lowe's. Most big retail stores don't check their freight in when they unload trucks. If the manifest is received in the system it puts everything on it in inventory. You'd be surprised at the amount of merchandise that get shorted or mislabeled as something else. It's as frustrating to employees as it is to customers.

Believe me, I have to deal with making inventory adjustments constantly.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 1:27:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep. This is the cause across all stores that use automated inventory tracking.  It keeps tabs on the inventory by counting the adds from shipments and the sales from the scanners. It has no way of accounting for theft, which is largely an unknown amount. There's also the issue of whether breakage is being properly accounted for as well.

Big companies will pay to have an outside firm come in and count everything on site, usually annually, to see just how bad the losses are. If you're ever in Walmart and see dozens of people wandering around with scanners pulling everything off the shelves, that's what's happening.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 1:31:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It's not just Lowe's. Most big retail stores don't check their freight in when they unload trucks. If the manifest is received in the system it puts everything on it in inventory. You'd be surprised at the amount of merchandise that get shorted or mislabeled as something else. It's as frustrating to employees as it is to customers.

Believe me, I have to deal with making inventory adjustments constantly.
View Quote
Yep, i've also seen items show a negative number for quantity in stock, all the while there are several of the items on the shelf.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 1:31:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.
Especially in states where shoplifting is basically legal.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 1:33:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Varies from store to store.  The closest one to me is terrible at keeping things in stock.  The other three really good.
View Quote
It actually takes a certain amount of skill and perseverance
to keep stock records matching stock on hand.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 1:35:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 1:36:51 PM EDT
[#25]
I've pretty much given up on Lowe's. I know exactly what I need and where it should be before I ever step foot in the store. Lowe's frequently has their stuff in a spot other than where it is shown on the web site. I go to HD instead and their stuff is usually in the right spot.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 1:37:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Stock depletion before reordering points have been dropped to much lower levels then they used to be in most businesses and companies. Even critical ''must have'' goods and parts have their reorder points cut to the bone to keep items off the shelf and cash in the coffers. The ''hopefully nothing bad happens'' mindset is set in concrete in upper managements heads.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 1:38:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
What is wrong with you Boomer wannabes?  Go to the store.  See if it is there and buy it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Weak rant, CSB, I know.

Really super plan and great advice, BUT, I believe OP is going to have a loooooong wait for his Chick Fil A today, or any other Sunday.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 1:43:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Went through this 3 ring circus in College Station and Bryan when I needed breakers.  Called them.. It's in stock.  Drive to store.  Oh.  It's in stock but at our Bryan store up the highway.

Drive to other store and none in stock.  Everyone I spoke to on the phone is now hiding.  Talk to one guy who said he'd look it up,and he was gone for good.

Manager asks if I need help and she looks it up.  She's former loss prevention for Lowe's and breaks it all down to me.  Wrong breakers get put into other size boxes on the shelf so they do inventory and scan one and mark 10 in stock.  That and shoplifters.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 1:45:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I visit Lowes and Home Depots across about half the country every year.  As a general rule the Lowe's stores have far worse inventory control -- to the point that at some stores it is laughable -- and their store layouts are complete chaos from one location to the next.
View Quote
There is a store in Gilbert AZ whos plumbing dept is hidden in the back corner of the store.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 1:46:39 PM EDT
[#30]
My wife works at Lowe's.  Her store is on top of their shit partly because of my wife. She watches ther inventory like a hawk and knows where everything is and how many of them they have. Maybe you should try shopping at a good Lowe's.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 1:48:02 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a Lowes a 1/4 mile from my house, so I'm in there a lot. It's easier than driving another 3 miles up the road to Ace Hardware.

What pisses me off most about Lowes is their in store sales never seem to apply to me. Happened just yesterday with paint. I stopped in, saw the paint I needed was marked from $37 to $29 per gallon. I was going to buy it anyway so I had the guy mix it but when I got to checkout it rang up as $37. I paid for it and took it and the receipt to customer service. And sure enough, The "Valspar Signature" paint I bought wasn't the same "Valspar Signature" paint that was on sale. That happens to me at least 9 out of 10 times I take a "sale" item to the checkout. And it's the only store it happens in. Not saying it's a scam, but it's damn close IMO. Most of the time I just don't buy it, but this time I did since I was expecting the normal price. Still, kind of pisses me off.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 1:48:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Thats why I call the store, any store, before I purchase anything I'm planning to pick up.

Odd concept I know....
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 1:50:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Thats why I call the store, any store, before I purchase anything I'm planningto pick up.

Odd concept I know....
View Quote
This guarantees nothing at all unless the employee physically grabs the items, more often than not they are going to just look it up and tell you what the computer says is on hand.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 1:53:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
My wife works at Lowe's.  Her store is on top of their shit partly because of my wife. She watches ther inventory like a hawk and knows where everything is and how many of them they have. Maybe you should try shopping at a good Lowe's.
View Quote
I'm not driving to fucking NJ to shop at a 'good' Lowes!
I'll stick with the many other decent stores in my area!
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 1:53:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Then fly, it's quicker!
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 1:55:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, then dont complain when your shit is fucked up. i
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 2:02:36 PM EDT
[#37]
I know for Home Depot the count issue could be one or a combination of several things.

CAR, the ordering system, is a temperamental beast. People do not order anymore, all ordering done CAR, which looks at several factors and then decides when and how much to order.

Items then go to a DC, to be sorted and shipped to stores, now the DCs ship in whats called a floor load now, meaning a semi trailer is filled by hand, so each item is placed into the trailer by hand, then the trailer is given a code, the store then receives the trailer but scans the code not each item, so if there was supposed to be an item or items on that trailer that never made it onto the trailer you now have on hands for items you actually never received, thus throwing off the on line order since it shows in stock but in reality is not.

Speaking of on hands, there could be several reasons why the counts are off. The freight team not stocking item in the correct bays or overheads, associates not working their bays and packing down or just being sloppy about it, or the DS not working smart list correctly and just pencil whipping the list..

Then there is theft, crack heads gotta crack head yo. Theft is nuts, its insane and here with the law being changed that raised the minimum dollar amount to $1000 for a felony from $500 its not worth the time to prosecute and the cops don't even arrest for it anymore. And HDs policy about shoplifters you end up with tons of theft.

Add to it sale items that are in inactive status due to them being special buys, and you might only get 5 of a item and cannot order more, and they cant be placed out on the sales floor until a specific date but the website says they are instock and people want them now, then come the sales date you are already sold out LOL it happens.

So there is a lot that goes into counts being correct, does not take much to derail the system.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 2:09:26 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yep, i've also seen items show a negative number for quantity in stock, all the while there are several of the items on the shelf.
View Quote
I worked at AutoZone about 10 years ago and this would happen.  I'd have the item in hand and the computer would say store stock of 0 or -2, but since the item wasn't "in stock"  at the store it wouldn't let you scan the item to complete the transaction.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 2:11:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yup.. Shink and min-max stock levels can really jack up a stores inventory.. especially in a high theft area.  With the lack of employees, loss prevention, and the ability for employees and management to do more than tell someone to stop at big stores like these, im pretty sure it aint hard to walk out with stuff.

Oh and something like 80% of all retail theft is internal.

ETA: Inventory method company(RGIS and the likes) and frequency also can play into factor.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 2:13:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Yep,

I can’t tell you how many times I look something up on their website, it shows in stock.
Drive to store, nothing. WTF?
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 2:18:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 2:20:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

This guarantees nothing at all unless the employee physically grabs the items, more often than not they are going to just look it up and tell you what the computer says is on hand.
View Quote
Yeah.  Again, thats what I do.  Odd concept....
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 2:24:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Odd concept is trusting the employees to actually do it.
There are some departments at my local Lowes, that I swear to god they see a customer and must hide in a box on the shelf. Other departments have some knowledgeable and helpful employees.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 2:28:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Lowes gives a military discount on EVERYTHING.
Home Depot excludes building materials and other items (at least they did the last time I shopped there).

The Lowes around here is fairly well run...they are fine fore generic hardware.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 2:30:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Oh no, tech doesn’t live up to the promise?
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 2:32:45 PM EDT
[#46]
The issue is theft.

Lowe’s attempts to stay on top of their inventory. Each week every department manager is required to do an inventory of a list of 2 dozen or so SKUs. They correct the inventory and order more as needed.

But it’s just not enough when their policies around loss prevention are so strict because corporate is terrified of a law suit.

So rather than lose money to a law suit, they lose it to theft and lost customers who wanted to buy something today but their inventory is so fucked up that it’s impossible.

Home Depot isn’t perfect, but they are generally better at this part of the business.  No matter what store you are shopping at, if they website says there is 1 in stock it’s going to be a gamble.

Signed,
Former Lowe’s LP dude
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 2:35:40 PM EDT
[#47]
My Lowe’s isn’t terrible and it’s the only thing in town. But it’s annoying when you are looking for tool chests and they are in the fucking plumbing section on the other side of the store. And that’s not an exaggeration.

Those that complain about the inventory system have never worked retail. It’s extremely tough/impossible to be accurate with that amount of inventory with employees that fuck up constantly and constant theft.

I had an old boss that was a GM at a Home Depot. They came up $1 million short in inventory one year.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 2:38:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The issue is theft.

Lowe’s attempts to stay on top of their inventory. Each week every department manager is required to do an inventory of a list of 2 dozen or so SKUs. They correct the inventory and order more as needed.

But it’s just not enough when their policies around loss prevention are so strict because corporate is terrified of a law suit.

So rather than lose money to a law suit, they lose it to theft and lost customers who wanted to buy something today but their inventory is so fucked up that it’s impossible.

Home Depot isn’t perfect, but they are generally better at this part of the business.  No matter what store you are shopping at, if they website says there is 1 in stock it’s going to be a gamble.

Signed,
Former Lowe’s LP dude
View Quote
The fact that there is no longer an LP person in each store doesn't help either.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 3:43:09 PM EDT
[#49]
We ain’t got no time for inventory control for $12.33/hr.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 3:54:26 PM EDT
[#50]
People don’t think stealing be like it is butbit do
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top