Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2003 9:38:22 AM EDT
Hey Guys,

I'm heading down to Gonzales tonight to see my parents.  Traveling with the wife and baby and as usual i'll be carrying.  I know LA doesnt have reciprocity with Al, but according to packing.org there is no law that forbids me from carrying a loaded gun in the car.

So, do any of you know if this is accurate.  Can I keep the pistol handy so long as I'm not waking around with it?

Thanks

LWC
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:50:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Really depends on the LEO. You can have a loaded firearm in the vehicle for protection. If you get pulled over, I would not volunteer this info unless the officer makes a move to look in your vehicle or asks to search it. Then I would tell him in a courteous manner that you have a loaded firearm for protection of you and your family. Of course the fact that you have a CCW (assumed) will carry some weight. Unless you are being an ass, they will not mess with you. The State Police are a good bunch of professionals. It' the local deputy dogs in the small towns that you have to worry about. All in all, this is just my opinions.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 11:20:21 AM EDT
[#2]
In Louisiana "the Pearl River ruling" stated that "your automobile is an extension of your domicile."  You may have a loaded or unloaded firearm in the trunk, under the seat, on the seat, in the glovebox, console, whatever.  You have the same rights to a firearm for protection in your car, truck, camper or motorhome as you do in your main residence.

Plus, you can shoot carjackers, which would be difficult without a loaded accessable weapon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top