Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 12/27/2003 9:38:22 AM EDT
Hey Guys,

I'm heading down to Gonzales tonight to see my parents.  Traveling with the wife and baby and as usual i'll be carrying.  I know LA doesnt have reciprocity with Al, but according to packing.org there is no law that forbids me from carrying a loaded gun in the car.

So, do any of you know if this is accurate.  Can I keep the pistol handy so long as I'm not waking around with it?

Thanks

LWC
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 9:50:30 AM EDT
Really depends on the LEO. You can have a loaded firearm in the vehicle for protection. If you get pulled over, I would not volunteer this info unless the officer makes a move to look in your vehicle or asks to search it. Then I would tell him in a courteous manner that you have a loaded firearm for protection of you and your family. Of course the fact that you have a CCW (assumed) will carry some weight. Unless you are being an ass, they will not mess with you. The State Police are a good bunch of professionals. It' the local deputy dogs in the small towns that you have to worry about. All in all, this is just my opinions.
Link Posted: 12/27/2003 11:20:21 AM EDT
In Louisiana "the Pearl River ruling" stated that "your automobile is an extension of your domicile."  You may have a loaded or unloaded firearm in the trunk, under the seat, on the seat, in the glovebox, console, whatever.  You have the same rights to a firearm for protection in your car, truck, camper or motorhome as you do in your main residence.

Plus, you can shoot carjackers, which would be difficult without a loaded accessable weapon.
Top Top