Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2002 5:44:12 PM EDT
I am looking to create a www.MYNAME.com type of site. I am looking for something low cost and on a reliable company. Anyone have ideas? I want to post pics, Bio's things like that. What does OS mean?
Thanks ahead of time!
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 5:55:21 PM EDT
[#1]
OS=operating system. Look for somthing unix based, preferable freeBSD or linux. Solaris or other unix OS's may mean it's on proprietary hardware, translating into higher costs (usually). Look for a host running apache, it's the most common web server out there by far. It will also have more free features available, too.

Link Posted: 11/11/2002 6:07:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I know the feeling. I'm evaluating web hosts for my start-up company, and it's a nightmare. One real cheap company I found is [url]www.ipowerweb.com[/url] and another is [url]www.hostway.com[/url].

The cheap guys give you really crappy support, but some of them make up for it by giving you an idiotproof "control panel" to help manage your site.

I've just about decided on Hurricane Electric, as they are local and some of my business contacts say good things about them.

If you have a pretty simple site in mind, you can probably get by with minimal support and technical help. All you need to do is develop your HTML and FTP the files up to your web space.

Link Posted: 11/11/2002 6:12:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I run a web host - take a look at [url]www.ihost.biz[/url]. You can register your domain name with us as well.  Email me (Greg) through the support link on the site if you need any more info!
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 6:23:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I use [url]http://www.kytec.com[/url]

They run on Sun Cobalt Unix and their prices are reasonable. Apparently, they upped their prices slightly this month. But, they are still reasonable.

[url]http://www.noreno.org/cgi-bin/file.pl[/url]
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 6:47:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

giving you an idiotproof "control panel" to help manage your site.

View Quote

That's what I need. I am totally HTML and FTP illiterate, so I need something that does all the code work for me.
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 2:57:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I would recommend Apollo Hosting.  They have excellent support, great rates, and all sorts tools for you.

Their website is at:

http://www.apollohosting.com

Quoted:
I am looking to create a www.MYNAME.com type of site. I am looking for something low cost and on a reliable company. Anyone have ideas? I want to post pics, Bio's things like that. What does OS mean?
Thanks ahead of time!
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/12/2002 3:10:51 AM EDT
[#7]
How much are you looking to spend?
Have you tried your ISP to se what they offer?
My ISP hosts my web address and provides email service to me for less than $40.00 (dial up Internet access). I have 150 MB of storage space for my URL and I pay $21.00 a month.

If you are HTML illiterate (like me) then I suggest you get a copy (legal or otherwise) of Front Page 98. Don't bother with FP2000 or XP, FP 98 is perfect for you.
And you don't need to get on a server that has FP extensions. You just won't be able to use any of the gay Microsuck "flashy graphics".
It's easy to use and easy to learn.
If you really want to learn get the FP98 for Dummies. Don't bother with HTML for Dummies though unless you want to type code.
As far as an uploading program I use WS_FTP. I like it and it's free. Most ISP will recommend it anyways.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top