Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2005 11:34:52 PM EDT
Ok guys help me out here.  Looking for a raid vest for special assignments.  looking for a lightweight outer shell with pockets for handcuffs, light, radio, etc etc.

Some of the guys at the department have some already but they are bulky and aren't very streamlined.

What are you guys wearing these days?

Be safe out there!

- Go
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:37:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Eagle CIRAS atm.  Just got rid of our Safariland Shit Sixes.

Eagle CIRAS

Sheep
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:52:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I was looking at that vest.  How practical is it for assignments where I'm not doing entry work or kicking in doors.  

I have a Point Blank Entry vest from my SWAT days for entry work.  Looking for a vest for plain clothes patrol, gang work etc.

Also for the 600.00 they want on the sire its a little more than I want to dump out of pocket.

Looks great though.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:02:36 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I was looking at that vest.  How practical is it for assignments where I'm not doing entry work or kicking in doors.  

I have a Point Blank Entry vest from my SWAT days for entry work.  Looking for a vest for plain clothes patrol, gang work etc.

Also for the 600.00 they want on the sire its a little more than I want to dump out of pocket.

Looks great though.

Yeah...it's tall coin for a vest.  For street work, it works great.  There's a ton of outer carriers out there.

Stand-by for IM.

Oh..and ETA: Tax-write off.  

Sheep
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:34:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:09:34 AM EDT
[#5]
+1 for Blackhawk.  I love my Omega.  

I had a couple of considerations when I was in the market for a vest.  I wanted something that I could use as a "deployment" rig when I needed it.  Basically, a grab-and-go vest to use when I jumped out of the car at a SHTF call that would have ammo, a first aid kit, powerbars and other crap that was not already on my duty belt.

The other consideration was for use off duty or in emergencies where I was not wearing a duty belt.  The Omega crossdraw fit nicely for both.  I carry it in my trunk for duty use set up with rifle mags and small binos and other rifle specific gizmos.  For off duty, I just throw in a pair of cuffs and put my Sig or Glock in the cross draw holster.  It fits well over my uniform and vest and cinches to my duty belt quickly.  Add some velcro patches for the front and back and you are golden.  

The only slight drawback is the far right mag pouch (when full) does interfere with a smooth draw from a hip holster.  Empty, it works great.

The Omega comes in many configurations.

NorCal
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:13:54 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
+1 for Blackhawk.  I love my Omega.  

I had a couple of considerations when I was in the market for a vest.  I wanted something that I could use as a "deployment" rig when I needed it.  Basically, a grab-and-go vest to use when I jumped out of the car at a SHTF call that would have ammo, a first aid kit, powerbars and other crap that was not already on my duty belt.

The other consideration was for use off duty or in emergencies where I was not wearing a duty belt.  The Omega crossdraw fit nicely for both.  I carry it in my trunk for duty use set up with rifle mags and small binos and other rifle specific gizmos.  For off duty, I just throw in a pair of cuffs and put my Sig or Glock in the cross draw holster.  It fits well over my uniform and vest and cinches to my duty belt quickly.  Add some velcro patches for the front and back and you are golden.  

The only slight drawback is the far right mag pouch (when full) does interfere with a smooth draw from a hip holster.  Empty, it works great.

www.blackhawk.com/uploads/product_images/30VT09BK.jpg

The Omega comes in many configurations.

NorCal

I'm thinking of getting another Omega vest.  When I was on a full time SWAT team we were issued a BH Omega along with our entry vests.  

Anyone use the Phalanx vest yet?? Looks like a good vest.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:48:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Haven't you guys read the GD?  It's this military attire worn by police that's causing the erosion of Western Democracy!  Don't take my word for it, ask the BDU/Boonie Hat/German militaria wearing "freedom fighting" cop haters on the General Discussion forum!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:50:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Hey SheepDog:

Does that come with ballistic panels?  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:52:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:14:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:34:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Haven't you guys read the GD?  It's this military attire worn by police that's causing the erosion of Western Democracy!  Don't take my word for it, ask the BDU/Boonie Hat/German militaria wearing "freedom fighting" cop haters on the General Discussion forum!

Quit reading my mind!!    Hey where's that reynolds wrap when you need it.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:38:50 PM EDT
[#12]
The LASD and LAPD use these....you can set it up anyway you like......

www.thevestman.com

http://thevestman.com/img/index_image.jpg
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:54:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Goback,

Do your want the carrier to carry your ballistic panels or, are you wearing your regular vest and want something to carry cuffs, baton, spray, taser, etc.?  I used both a Blackhawk, and a Galls Tactical.  

The Galls Tactical held my vest panels in it and was quick and easy to go from no vest, plain cloths, to vested and marked police quickly.  However I found that the sides of this type vest carrier rode over my thunb break on the handgun and blocked my gun from being drawn quickly.  Felt very bulcky and slow speed.  I went to a drop leg holster for a fix for this but did not like the vest.  Also, my vest only had an area for the ballistic panels, and no place for a trauma plate.  So, your whole interior vest carrier all go into this outer carrier then try to velcro your shoulder straps so the vest will not ride low.  Not very user friendly to switch it out as ofeten as I had to.

I then switched to a Blackhawk.  The Blackhawk did not carry the ballistic panels.  I would have my ballistic vest on and then put the blackhawk vest on over the ballistic vest.  I bought the one were you could mix and match any pouch, holster, etc onto the vest.  I liked this more than the Omega because it allowed me to custom place what I wanted on the vest, where I wanted it.  It also let me place better products on the vest like the talon flex magazine pouchs.  The sides are like, well......a girdle.  I still used a drop leg, but could go to the belt holster with this set up.

I would go with the Blackawk again as I have no complaints.  A very good product.  I purchassed it from Botach Tactical because they gave me a very good police price, but Botach is always back ordered every time I want something so plan on waiting a while if you order from them.  

Hope this helps.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top