Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2004 6:10:35 PM EDT
I thought I would give the Ar15.com cadre a try at this.  I have been searching for any information on my uncles military records, and have come up with a big "nada".  All I can tell you up front is what my family has told me, and that is limited at this time as we don't talk to that side of the family often.  I was told he was in WW2, but not sure, might have been Korea.  I have his dog tags, a christmas gift to welcome me to the family(I'm the geneologist in traing of the family), a picture is posted below. Any information would be great, or any places I can check online,(would like to goto D.C. someday to get copy of actual records, but that will have to wait.).

Thank you in advance for any info you can give me.

Cody Dengler
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:18:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Well as a preliminary.

He was definitly drafted, and definitly had a tetnus shot in 1958.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:29:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Given the serial number sequence he was drafted in 1958 also.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:34:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I was wondering what T58 was, Tetnus. Makes sense now.

1958 makes it Korea then, not WW2. that helps too.

Thank you, anything anyone else can add, please do.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:41:13 PM EDT
[#4]
actually 58 is well past Korea, but he may have stayed in long enough to catch the early parts of Vietnam.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:49:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
actually 58 is well past Korea, but he may have stayed in long enough to catch the early parts of Vietnam.

Your right, sorry about that, Korea was late 40's.  I guess the family info is way off.  Thanks again for all your help.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:39:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:43:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 12:53:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Also - I have the Point of Contact info for retrieving military records of family members.  But the person requesting the info must be within the veteran's immediate family.

Let me know if you can swing that and I will forward the POC to you.

I will see what my family can offer, I may have to rummage some attics, if all else fails I will get that POC from you.
I can swing that, My mother and her cousins would be the next of kin at this point, he never married and never had children, so that leaves his neices and nephews(ie my mother),.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:07:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Hmmm, not trying to throw any cold water here but I was drafted in 1969 and was issued one of the last serial numbers before they started using the social security number, and I was US 51908***.  Did they recycle numbers?  I honestly don't know.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:46:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 9:17:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Hmmm, not trying to throw any cold water here but I was drafted in 1969 and was issued one of the last serial numbers before they started using the social security number, and I was US 51908***.  Did they recycle numbers?  I honestly don't know.

Serial numbers went in a series.

First digit started as blocks for various catagories, at f1rst 1-3. As the # of draftees rose they started using numbers starting with 4, then with 5.

However, the second digit was assigned based upon the region you were inducted from, your number is from region 1, the one on the tag is from region 5. I compared it to a few #'s I knew from that region and it seems about right for a 1958 enlistment, but you could only use other #'s from the same region to compare.

So it is quite possible for 519xxxxx to be issued long after 556xxxxx, in fact you get a better idea of the time period by simply using the first and third digits, but even that will be a little off because not all regions issued numbers at the same rate.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 1:03:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Serial numbers went in a series.

First digit started as blocks for various catagories, at f1rst 1-3. As the # of draftees rose they started using numbers starting with 4, then with 5.

However, the second digit was assigned based upon the region you were inducted from, your number is from region 1, the one on the tag is from region 5. I compared it to a few #'s I knew from that region and it seems about right for a 1958 enlistment, but you could only use other #'s from the same region to compare.

So it is quite possible for 519xxxxx to be issued long after 556xxxxx, in fact you get a better idea of the time period by simply using the first and third digits, but even that will be a little off because not all regions issued numbers at the same rate.

Thanks Garand, you are truely a wealth of information.

Hopefully with the holidays coming up I can pick everyones brains about him.  
Thakns again for all the help.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:57:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks.  Can't say I was always curious but it is interesting to know.

Good luck on the search....
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:51:04 PM EDT
[#14]
As long as you have your uncle's date of birth, all the other info you need is right on the dog tag. Contact the Army records center in St. Louis and request a copy of your uncle's 201 file.

http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/reference/records.htm
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 12:18:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I found the website yesterday for the records, and downloaded the form.  I will send it out this week I hope.  I also found his grave, the head stone is marker: "3 medical Tank BN".  Thanks for the heads up on the Records center.
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 1:53:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top