Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2012 3:38:34 PM EDT
I have a 2009 lariat F350 (cost me 52k). She has all the bells and whistles 27k miles diesel engine.

I WAS going to trade it for a F150 lariat or a FX4.  But god damn, there is no way in hell im going to trade my truck in for one of them (most prices were 50k - 55k for a truck with equal bells and whistles)  

Back in 2009 the highest priced F150 that I see was around 40k.

So should I be looking into the Costco car buying program?  Any tips?
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 3:39:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Toyota
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 3:41:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Keep the truck and buy a old Toyota/Honda/Nissan car for less than 5k
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 3:56:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Kinda depends on the 'Why' of it.

Why are you thinking about trading, and what are you trying to get thats an improvement on your current situation?

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 4:02:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Why are you thinking about trading, and what are you trying to get thats an improvement on your current situation?

paid off, looking for something newer.

I am just shocked that the prices went up 10k in 5 years.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 4:11:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Inflation.
The prices didn't "go up" your dollar became worth less.

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 4:49:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Inflation.

The prices didn't "go up" your dollar became worth less.

Well, they did get a little more complicated, and suchlike, but I've got to give the majority of the price hike to Madcap72's argument.

OTOH, my '97 Cummins powered Dirge Ram 4x with 360K on it is going to run for as long as I can squeeze miles out of 'er.

I paid for her once, she owes me everything she's got.

My '77 Powerwagon cost me $7700 off the lot, and I had to dealer prep half the stuff myself because it came off the truck in the dark and I was in a hurry.

Imagine my shock and horror when my '88 cost $14,800.

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 4:52:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a 2002 F-150 FX4 that I bought new - best vehicle I've ever owned!
Might be pricey - but worth it!

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 4:56:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I miss my F150
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:01:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I got no tips, other than buy at auctions. That way you might get ripped off, but only $100 more than the sucker bidding against you.

I know if you want to play (with a new truck) you've got to pay.  But dang–– $50K on a truck–– you could buy a small house for that.  I probably need to check house prices too, but I better get the anti-arrhythmia pills ready.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 5:05:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I say keep the F350. What does a newer truck have that you really need? Just detail the shit out of the one you have, and it will be great for another 10 years!
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 8:31:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I got no tips, other than buy at auctions. That way you might get ripped off, but only $100 more than the sucker bidding against you.

I know if you want to play (with a new truck) you've got to pay.  But dang–– $50K on a truck–– you could buy a small house for that.  I probably need to check house prices too, but I better get the anti-arrhythmia pills ready.

My F350 was brand spanking new.  But at the time it was worth it.  

I did need it for small construction projects.   Now days... not so much.  (I do 100% residential work now days.)
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 8:32:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I say keep the F350. What does a newer truck have that you really need? Just detail the shit out of the one you have, and it will be great for another 10 years!

I will probably end up doing just this.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 8:33:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I still have the original paperwork for my '02 Suburban. They paid $34k for it, with all the bells and whistles. Somehow a new one today costs well over $50k. I just don't understand truck and SUV prices these days, it's insane.

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 8:39:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I still have the original paperwork for my '02 Suburban. They paid $34k for it, with all the bells and whistles. Somehow a new one today costs well over $50k. I just don't understand truck and SUV prices these days, it's insane.  

haha...

Yea, for shit and giggles, I asked to see the prices of a 2013 F350 with the diesel / bells and whistles...   $65,000+
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 8:41:05 PM EDT
[#15]
I would keep it you have a great truck, better than the F-150 IMO, unless of course you want a Raptor then I could see it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 8:41:19 PM EDT
[#16]
If your current truck is paid off you're better off keeping it. The cost of a new truck will offset any "savings" you might see by downsizing.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 8:42:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have a 2009 lariat F350 (cost me 52k). She has all the bells and whistles 27k miles diesel engine.

I WAS going to trade it for a F150 lariat or a FX4.  But god damn, there is no way in hell im going to trade my truck in for one of them (most prices were 50k - 55k for a truck with equal bells and whistles)  

Anything wrong with it? No? Drive it till the wheels fall off.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 8:43:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Take a look at the F150 ecoboost. They are quite nice.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 8:44:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Can you say UAW.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 8:48:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have a 2002 F-150 FX4 that I bought new - best vehicle I've ever owned!
Might be pricey - but worth it!

http://www.pbase.com/terry_56/image/83277822.jpg

My 02 was the main reason why I will never buy another Ford again. My 94 had similar issues, my 96 F250 (7.3) was worthless...I haven't seen anything better out of a 2011 6.7 or any of the F150's (the only benefit of the EB is that its fast, I have a 06 5.9 Dodge Megacab that smokes it in the fuel econ department though).

I stopped really looking at buying Fords after the 6.0...good truck to buy cheap, put $5k into in modifications to make it reilable but it's more work than I'd rather do since I've never had a problem with that 5.9 nor have I ever had an issue with a 6.6 that isn't predictable or transmission related.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 8:49:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you say UAW.

It has more to do with inflation, but they're a big part of it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 8:51:23 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can you say UAW.

Ten years really doesn't seem all that long for the world to change such that a $34k vehicle now costs $54k. They don't even sell them with the 8.1L anymore. Fuck, they should cost less for the little pussy engines they try to pawn off in them.

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 8:57:39 PM EDT
[#23]
If you're considering trading-in a perfectly good 3-year-old truck with 27K miles on it for another brand-new vehicle, then U R A Boob.

Seriously.

Any time you buy or sell a vehicle, it is a money-losing proposition.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 9:13:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will probably end up doing just this.

On top of that, the diesel engine will probably be more reliable for more miles.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 9:17:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you say UAW.

Ten years really doesn't seem all that long for the world to change such that a $34k vehicle now costs $54k. They don't even sell them with the 8.1L anymore. Fuck, they should cost less for the little pussy engines they try to pawn off in them.

Look at what our debt has done in the past ten years. And all of the dollar weakening (QE1, 2, 3, 87...).

It's believable. I think we're sitting on something like 1300-2200% inflation in the 100 years that the Fed has existed right now. 100 years is really not a long time all things considered.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 9:18:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you say UAW.

LOL, cause every American made truck since the 60's has not had the UAW involved.  Try looking at a 88 Cummings compared to todays Cummings

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 9:22:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you say UAW.

When my father bough his 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Megacab Laramie w/5.9 Cummins it cost him $42,000. Today, the 2012 model will go for $55,000 or more. The 2012 gets 17mpg, the broke in, emission-less 5.9 is making 27 on the highway...stock (it hit 21 new). Either way, that's still less money than an EB Ford for a truck that weighs 3000lb more than the closest matching EB equipped F150 and now that truck is mine...

When I bought my 02 F150, I paied $4k for a truck with 67k miles on it. I sold that truck with 142k 3 years later for $3700 (mostly in part to the inflation price), however I did put $6000 in repairs (3 slave cylinders, 2 clutches, 2 lower intake manifolds...).

When my father purchased my mother's 04 Trailblazer, he paid $29000 for a EXT, LT (nicest package Chevy made until 2007) with a 4.2 I6. That thing makes 21 mpg and has run for 150k miles needing only $2000 of unwarrantied repairs. That Trailblazer was replaced by a 2012 Ford Edge which makes 23 mpg but cost $39000. That one has 20k miles on it and has had the computer and radio replaced already...nowhere near the same quality vehicle.

Link Posted: 11/17/2012 9:25:09 PM EDT
[#28]
No rebates deals or discounts?

My wife bought me a 2010 fx2 as a surprise right before I got back from Afghanistan last year,
She got or 13k taken off of the sticker price somehow

I do kind of wish it was a 4wd, but god damn I love that truck

After being raised in a gm family, and 15 years of driving Chevy trucks of one kind or another I will never go back.
Link Posted: 11/17/2012 9:28:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Just remember that the Lariat trim was not the top of the line trim in 2009 so its hard to compare that to a new 2013 F150, as it is not really apples to apples. The Lariat trim on the F150 is 4th from the top nowadays and 3rd from top on the Super Duties especially if you are comparing it to a new Platinum or Limited. You should be able to get a pretty penny for a well maintained 6.4, especially if its a crew 4x4. Try selling it outright.

You might be able to find a loaded up 2012 for a good discount right now too if you really look hard.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:57:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Thanks everyone.  

Link Posted: 11/18/2012 7:19:38 AM EDT
[#31]
By my estimates and car buying philosophy, at 9000 miles being driven per year, you have a bare minimum of 33.3 years until you wear that one out.

I'll speak to you about this again at the beginning of year 2046 good sir.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 6:31:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
By my estimates and car buying philosophy, at 9000 miles being driven per year, you have a bare minimum of 33.3 years until you wear that one out.

A 12-vavle would last him 90 years with that mentality...I agree though. Why trade in a 3 year old truck that isn't even broke in yet? Fuel mileage? If your that concerned with it gut the emissions, re-tune (one of the best 6.4 tuning companies just shut down production though) and you can get a decently cost effective HD truck to drive when compared to a half-ton.

I think 300,000 miles is pushing it for a stock 08 and up diesel without some modification. 250,000 is probably the upper limit for most late model diesels.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:27:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A 12-vavle would last him 90 years with that mentality...I agree though. Why trade in a 3 year old truck that isn't even broke in yet? Fuel mileage? If your that concerned with it gut the emissions, re-tune (one of the best 6.4 tuning companies just shut down production though) and you can get a decently cost effective HD truck to drive when compared to a half-ton.

I think 300,000 miles is pushing it for a stock 08 and up diesel without some modification. 250,000 is probably the upper limit for most late model diesels.

We used to run diesels and gas pickups and now have changed to gas pickups recently for work. We sell them at anywhere from 275k to 340k and have never had a problem with it. We just change the oil and everything else we wait till it breaks. When our company was younger we ran everything until the engine went out of it and we could usually get about 425k on a diesel or 330k on gas pickups. That is all highway miles though, but with some extra weight in tools.

In my experience about any vehicle should last 300k minimum, might lose a tranny or two by then but the engine should be fine.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 4:34:52 AM EDT
[#34]
I'd hang on to a pre tier 4 diesel!  Fuck DEF and super hot exhaust systems and the EPA that created them.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:39:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'd hang on to a pre tier 4 diesel!  Fuck DEF and super hot exhaust systems and the EPA that created them.

Or you could just do what most Texans do...remove the equipment after your warranty is gone.
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:45:34 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We used to run diesels and gas pickups and now have changed to gas pickups recently for work. We sell them at anywhere from 275k to 340k and have never had a problem with it. We just change the oil and everything else we wait till it breaks. When our company was younger we ran everything until the engine went out of it and we could usually get about 425k on a diesel or 330k on gas pickups. That is all highway miles though, but with some extra weight in tools.

In my experience about any vehicle should last 300k minimum, might lose a tranny or two by then but the engine should be fine.

The emissions significantly reduce the life of the engines. ULSD doesn't help either. You don't see this with tractors (agricultural and OTR) because they have different emissions processes. (i.e. Urea is only injected when the engine is idling unlike pickups which pump it all of the time)
Link Posted: 11/20/2012 8:56:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A $34k vehicle inflating to a $54k vehicle is an increase of about 50%. Over a decade, that averages out to about a 5% price increase annually. Given the additional technology, safety, and features that a 2012 model offers vs a 2002, it sounds like the real price of the truck hasn't really increased much at all. If inflation is running 3-4% on average, then the real price of the truck has only risen by 1-2% annually.

The fact is, car prices aren't rising much faster than inflation. We just happen to take notice more when a $40k vehicle jumps by 50% over a decade, compared to a jar of peanut butter or a loaf of bread jumping by the same amount.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top