Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2006 3:29:56 AM EDT
Do these products work, and which one is the best?

My toilet is clogged and plunging isn't helping
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:32:27 AM EDT
[#1]
My wife used to work at a plumbing place and she says no and they have the potential to damage seals and gaskets if they are present.

I would say a snake of some type would be your best bet, either yourself or hiring someone to do it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:01:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't use that stuff in your stool, the heat it generates can break the proceline.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:08:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Man, stay away from that stuff.  It's all bad news!  It all depends where the clog is at.  Take the trap apart and if it's there, go buy a new one for around $.99.  If it's downstream, you should snake it out.  Home Depot and Lowes both have little snakes that work on a drill motor.  If it's anything more than that (ie tree roots in the main sewer) you're gonna have to call in someone with some better equipment.

It pays to make friends with Plumbers, you just have to ignore the smell! (shot on some un-named member)
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:17:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I recently had that problem.  The hardware store around here rents a motorized snake for 35 bucks.  Pulled out a half of bucket of roots.  If you don't mind messing around with nasty jobs, it is not that hard to do.  Saved me a hundred bucks.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:54:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Liquid Plumber has failed in every attempt I have ever made with it.  Absolutely useless waste of money.  

Are all of your other drains working?  Did a child flush your remote control?  

Have you tried a high volume plunger?
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:57:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:00:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I have heard that it damages PVC pipes.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:01:37 AM EDT
[#8]
If you use it in your toilet you will really be calling a plumber.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:04:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Liquid Plumr, Drano, and the like have worked fine for me on sink and bathtub clogs -- mostly soapscum and hair.  I've never had to try them on a plugged-up toilet.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:15:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Get a toilet snake.  Don't use liquid plumber on a toilet.  Toilet snakes (or augers) look like this: LINK

They're available at almost any hardware store.  Watch out not to scratch the toilet when you use it.

For other drains, I keep a jar of Red Devil lye and put a spoonful down the drain.  It's a lot cheaper than liquid plumber.  (Keep the jar of lye in a ziploc bag.  It's hydroscopic and will absorb moisture from the air and harden if you don't).

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top