Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2003 5:40:25 PM EDT
I'm working on switching over to Linux, and I'd like to get a router that will handle DHCP for both Linux and Windoze.  Anybody got a recommendation?

Please feel free to recommend a Linux distro as well.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:56:59 PM EDT
[#1]
DHCP is a standardized protocol, so if it delivers DHCP to Windows, it will do so to Linux as well.  Personally I have the Linksys wireless router/switch and like it alot.

For ease of use, I'd pick Redhat 9.0.  It's the most widely used and most often updated distro.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:57:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Use an old 486 computer and [url=http://www.coyotelinux.com/modules.php?name=Products&op=coyote]www.coyotelinux.com[/url]

Its a "router" software solution on a single downloadable Linux floppy.  

I've had a box using it with constant uptime of over a year now.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 5:59:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

For ease of use, I'd pick Redhat 9.0.  It's the most widely used and most often updated distro.
View Quote

Also the most insecure, and biggest POS.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:13:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've been a fan of RedHat for years (I have a RH9 router and RH9 webserver), but they are ending support for RH9 in April.  RedHat Linux is going to be superceded by the community-supported Fedora Project: [url]http://www.redhat.com/solutions/migration/rhl/[/url]

Might as well start with a distro with a better life expectency...
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 7:01:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Dude! Simplify!

I have been running FreeSCO for 3 years now and it kicks ass like the Predator in a daycare center. Easy to set up, and free. Firewall is bulletproof and runs on the MATURE 2.0 kernel. No overflow troubles.

Fits on a FLOPPY, needs a 386 minimum to run. Screams on cable and DSL, and if you are in the boonies, will automatically dial up /via modem to most providers on demand! Hangs up when you don't need it. Set it and forget it.

[url]www.freesco.org[/url]

You will be glad you did..
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 7:03:47 PM EDT
[#6]
www.openbsd.org

Link Posted: 11/26/2003 3:26:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I've seen a couple of Linksys routers that say they aren't for linux, but no specification why?
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 3:32:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've seen a couple of Linksys routers that say they aren't for linux, but no specification why?
View Quote

most likely because they require an Internet Explorer browser to access the router configuration and as far as I know, IE is not available for linux. If this is the case, you would need at least one windows device to access the configuration.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:10:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

most likely because they require an Internet Explorer browser to access the router configuration and as far as I know, IE is not available for linux. If this is the case, you would need at least one windows device to access the configuration.
View Quote

I can attest to the Linksys routers configuring fine in mozilla.

It usually means that they refuse to answer tech support calls from people with linux or some other unix flavor.

Geoff
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:42:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Gander, that sounds very reasonable.  Is there a Linksys that you'd care to recommend in particular, or should I just grab the most reasonable one?

Thanks,

Michael
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:46:57 AM EDT
[#11]
And USR routers do fine with Opera.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 4:20:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Anybody got a specific recommendation before I grab one?

Thanks,

Michael
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 4:49:52 AM EDT
[#13]
I always just used two network cards in the linux box becuase I was to cheap to fork over the dough for the linksys. I have a wireless router now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top