Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2002 11:13:19 AM EDT
Is there a way to mount a FAT32(VFAT) partition in read/write? and have it automount at bootup. I tried editing the /etc/fstab file, but I can only get it to mount in mode 755. any Ideas?? After I finish my current project, I will be switching permanently to a new drive, but for now that second drive can't be converted because it is my old win98 installation. I also need to be able to access this drive in Win98..
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 11:15:13 AM EDT
[#1]
No clue, but I'm interested in the answer. I want to start playing with Linux, prolly on a duel boot system. BTW, linux gurus, preference on flavor when you answer his question?

-legrue
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 11:43:09 AM EDT
[#2]
why can't you do read/write with 755? Aren't you the user?
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 12:01:20 PM EDT
[#3]
???  I used to mount Windows drives on Linux all the time, and read and write to them.  Since the FAT-type filesystems don't have any user information, anyone should be able to write to them.

Hmm.  Then again, to mount the drives, I had to be logged in as root.  But I'm about 90% sure that I could get at them (both read and write) even when I went back to normal user mode.

As far as mounting automatically at bootup, that should just be a matter of what options you specify in the fstab and other related files.  The man pages should have the options listed.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 12:06:40 PM EDT
[#4]
on bootup it mounts is as root. Basically I want root, and a set of users to have access to it...Should I be making a seperate group for this? I've only been running linux for about a week and a half.. still have alot to learn. Surprised by hows much I can do already.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 12:09:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out this article and see if it helps at all
http://crossover.codeweavers.com/docs/plugin/html/wine-user/vfat.html
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 12:11:11 PM EDT
[#6]
here's a better one.

http://www.linux-mag.com/2001-03/tech_support_02.html
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 12:42:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Cman - Thank you! that first one was what I needed...seems I've seen that before in numerous other FAQ's, but that one finally explained it in a way that it clicked for me! Now my files are no longer safe from me! I gots a long way to go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top