Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/6/2022 2:30:23 PM EDT
I took my 7.62 Larue rifle (UU kit) shooting yesterday and had 3-4 light primer strikes on surplus Malaysian 7.62 ammo.

I have a Geissele SSA-E trigger in the rifle.  I'm going to put the Larue trigger in to see if it makes a difference.  Most of my 7.62 ammo is military surplus.  Has anyone else had a problem with light primer strikes on surplus ammo?  If so, has a heavier hammer spring helped?  

I assume the problem is due to the spring in the firing pin--I assume it reduces the force to the point that some primers don't go off.  I haven't had any issues with this ammo until yesterday.  I've used a 100-200 rounds--same batch of ammo--in another AR10 and a FAL (mostly in the DPMS style 7.62 AR).
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 2:36:49 PM EDT
[#1]
The firing pin spring isn't that heavy. Need a little more to go on, but that sounds like a hammer spring issue, not a FP spring issue.

edit: And I love the SSA-E trigger, not pointing fingers at the Geissele just to do it. Have Bill call me, we'll work it out.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 2:39:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Way back when I built up a couple of .308 uppers, mostly Aero parts.  Both have geissele triggers. (IIRC one is a G2S and one is an SSA-E). Both had light primer strikes for a few mags but both run perfectly now.  This was with M80 and high end hunting ammo.

I have a 7.62UU kit on a LaRue lower with an MBT, haven’t had any issues like you describe.

(I’m not bashing geissele triggers at all, just sharing my experience.  I really like the .308 guns I built, both are awesome and the triggers always get great reviews from other people who shoot them)

Link Posted: 3/6/2022 2:44:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The firing pin spring isn't that heavy. Need a little more to go on, but that sounds like a hammer spring issue, not a FP spring issue.

edit: And I love the SSA-E trigger, not pointing fingers at the Geissele just to do it. Have Bill call me, we'll work it out.
View Quote

I was just stumped as to why I am suddenly having problems with this ammo.  The only difference I can think of is the firing pin spring.  Now, maybe the FP depth is different, IDK.  I hadn't measured this on the Larue or the previous rifles.  Just from a standpoint of thinking about the difference between this and my previous AR10.  I had the current Geissele trigger in my former AR10 and had no issues with the Malaysian ammo
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 3:02:30 PM EDT
[#4]
3-4 out of how many total rounds were light strikes?

Did you put them back in the mag and give them a second try?

Have a photo of the light strike primers you can share?

Can you please post a few pictures of your trigger/hammer assembly installed from overhead and the side(hammer up)?
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 3:04:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Can you please post a few pictures of your trigger/hammer assembly installed from overhead and the side(hammer up)?
View Quote

3-4 out of about 12 rounds.  Went bang on second try.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 3:07:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 3:09:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Make sure your firing pin channel is good and clean.
View Quote
That primer sealer from some surplus ammo can clog it up pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 3:09:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Typically that has berden primers which can be harder than commercial boxer primed ammo. Try some state side for more accurate diagnosis before you sink a ton of money into more parts.

While it should fire just about anything I'm more likely to think Larue has better qc than Malaysia. Plus ammo is cheaper than a trigger for the time being. Plus you can get a heavy hammer spring that will work for most triggers for under $5 delivered.

Spring $4
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 3:14:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

To rule out user stupidity.  
Primers don't appear to be seated too far in.  I couldn't find a few of the cases, and, I did not separate the problem cases from the non problem cases when I gathered up the brass.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 3:17:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Typically that has berden primers which can be harder than commercial boxer primed ammo. Try some state side for more accurate diagnosis before you sink a ton of money into more parts.

While it should fire just about anything I'm more likely to think Larue has better qc than Malaysia. Plus ammo is cheaper than a trigger for the time being. Plus you can get a heavy hammer spring that will work for most triggers for under $5 delivered.

Spring $4
View Quote

I already have the MBT trigger that came with the rifle.  And, I have about 1,000 rounds of various surplus ammo--definitely not cheaper than a trigger

I wasn't going to buy a new trigger anyway--just was going to try a heavier hammer spring (roughly $7).

I have a mix of surplus on belt links, some German MEN ammo, Malaysian, and some Hirtenberger surplus ammo.  I don't think I have any regular commercial ammo.

Link Posted: 3/6/2022 3:24:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I already have the MBT trigger that came with the rifle.  And, I have about 1,000 rounds of various surplus ammo--definitely not cheaper than a trigger

I wasn't going to buy a new trigger anyway--just was going to try a heavier hammer spring (roughly $7).

I have a mix of surplus on belt links, some German MEN ammo, Malaysian, and some Hirtenberger surplus ammo.  I don't think I have any regular commercial ammo.

View Quote
My Dpms and rra trigger have never had an issue with radway, the Malaysian, men, or hirt stuff. I de-linked some 4:1 back when you could get 200rnd cans for $50 each. But my x39 guns have had the same issues.  The hammer spring solved it. Having too much 308 is a good problem in today's climate
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 3:49:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Hard primers
Match grade triggers are made for modern ammo.
Try a factory box
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 4:04:11 PM EDT
[#13]
An abnormally high percentage of lite primer strikes come back to the hammer spring being improperly placed.  Usually the legs under the pin.  

Take a picture inside the lower, a bit further back this time maybe that’s it.

-Mike
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 4:49:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm going to go with hard primers as well.

My Armalite AR10 with a match trigger has the same issue with Berdan primers.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 5:07:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 5:10:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 5:13:53 PM EDT
[#17]
I’m running Armalites, one has a Geissele SSA and the other  Franklin Armory, both see their fair share of surplus with no problems. The Armalites have a firing pin spring too. It could be the Malaysian just has hard primers…
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 5:19:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 5:22:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Light primer strikes can be:

Dirty firing pin channel.
Firing pin protrusion.
Hammer spring power/ placement.
Failure to fully return to battery.

Edit: and ammo.

I do believe everyone who asked wants to see a picture of the light strikes before the second firing.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 5:25:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
An abnormally high percentage of lite primer strikes come back to the hammer spring being improperly placed.  Usually the legs under the pin.  

Take a picture inside the lower, a bit further back this time maybe that’s it.

-Mike
View Quote

This was my first thought as well, as I've seen a very similar report in the past and that turned out to be the problem.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 6:24:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Have you checked firing pin protrusion?
On an AR10, it needs to be a lot more than an AR15, up to the .055" to .060" range.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 6:29:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 11:27:49 PM EDT
[#23]
I was out for a while (not shooting, just doing other stuff).  I can say a few things:

1.  The Larue hammer spring will not work on the Geissele SSA-E hammer.  I thought I could save some time by swapping springs.  Larue spring is coiled smaller towards the end, and the Larue hammer is built to accommodate this.
2.  I shouldn't think I know so much that I wouldn't put the hammer spring on backwards.  When I went to install the Larue trigger, I put the spring in backwards.  I noticed this because the hammer was unusually too easy to install.  As far as I know, the Geissele hammer spring was installed correctly. I do know the the spring legs were not under the trigger pin.

I'm going to go to the range tomorrow after work to see if the Larue trigger gives better results.  I only have surplus ammo.  Might take some German MEN along to see if it fares better.  I don't want to waste too much ammo as I plan on getting a different scope some day (when I figure out what I want).
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 11:33:25 PM EDT
[#24]
I will say, too, that the rounds that didn't fire had decent indentations in the primers.  It was late when I shot, and I wanted to do a few other things.  Had I been thinking, I should have photo'd the rounds that didn't go off on the first try.  

Also, I will say the rifle shoots pretty good with the Malaysian ammo.  I've only taken this rifle out twice--so it may not be a large enough sample.  But, it was getting 1 MOA consistently with a Burris Mtac 1-6 and a shitty shooting position.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 11:40:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Have you checked firing pin protrusion?
On an AR10, it needs to be a lot more than an AR15, up to the .055" to .060" range.
View Quote

I don't have a gauge to check the protrusion.  I have a micrometer that measures depth, but I don't think the one end is small enough to fit in the bolt properly.  The end of the micrometer would stop at the bolt lugs.  Perhaps measure the FP depth on the spent cases?
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 9:14:16 AM EDT
[#26]
See if this helps:

He shows multiple ways to measure protrusion.

Checking AR-15 Firing Pin Protrusion
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 9:25:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I will say, too, that the rounds that didn't fire had decent indentations in the primers.  It was late when I shot, and I wanted to do a few other things.  Had I been thinking, I should have photo'd the rounds that didn't go off on the first try.  

Also, I will say the rifle shoots pretty good with the Malaysian ammo.  I've only taken this rifle out twice--so it may not be a large enough sample.  But, it was getting 1 MOA consistently with a Burris Mtac 1-6 and a shitty shooting position.
View Quote

When you are comparing “indentation” on a fired vs unfired primer the looks can be misleading.

This is because for an unfired primer, you see only what the pin did to the metal, purely mechanical.

For the fired examples, you are seeing explosive forming of the primer cup around the protruding pin.

Looks a lot deeper but it wasnt mainspring energy that did the work.
Link Posted: 3/7/2022 9:39:53 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm gonna bet on the ammo being the culprit.

IIRC, Larue's hammer spring is fairly beefy (when compared to the mil-spec'd counterpart).

Link Posted: 3/7/2022 10:09:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Both my AR-10s have a Geissele triggers in them. (One SSA, one SSA-E)

Both have shot surplus with very little issues (What I'm saying here is I do not REMEMBER any light strikes, but I might have had a few.) I was shooting mostly Hirt and SA, though. No Malaysian.

I'd agree with your assessment, though, the stronger hammer spring will probably do it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 12:59:35 AM EDT
[#30]
I finally got back to the range to see if the Larue trigger was better as far as the light primer strikes.  I think I shot about 12 more rounds...somewhere in that range.  I shot several rounds with no problems.  Was about to call it good, and had one that didn't go bang.  I did take a photo of it. It looked like the primer may have been seated too far in, I'm not sure.  I looked at the other rounds--primer depth seemed to be a little inconsistent.  I tried to find one that was seated further in to see if that was the problem.  Expecting it not to go off, it scared the shit out of me when it did (yes, barrel was pointed in safe direction at the target down range).

On a side note, I also tested a few small pistol primers I bought at a local auction.  I think I paid around $35/1000.  Boxes looked like they had gotten damp--so I wasn't sure if the primers were good.  Only tested three--no problems.  Local auction has some good deals at times.

Two photos show the round that didn't go bang the first time.  This was the primer after not going off.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 1:10:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I finally got back to the range to see if the Larue trigger was better as far as the light primer strikes.  I think I shot about 12 more rounds...somewhere in that range.  I shot several rounds with no problems.  Was about to call it good, and had one that didn't go bang.  I did take a photo of it. It looked like the primer may have been seated too far in, I'm not sure.  I looked at the other rounds--primer depth seemed to be a little inconsistent.  I tried to find one that was seated further in to see if that was the problem.  Expecting it not to go off, it scared the shit out of me when it did (yes, barrel was pointed in safe direction at the target down range).

On a side note, I also tested a few small pistol primers I bought at a local auction.  I think I paid around $35/1000.  Boxes looked like they had gotten damp--so I wasn't sure if the primers were good.  Only tested three--no problems.  Local auction has some good deals at times.

Two photos show the round that didn't go bang the first time.  This was the primer after not going off.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/495786/20220310_163917_jpg-2309222.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/495786/20220310_163904_jpg-2309223.JPG
View Quote

did you pick that brass off the highway?
Top Top