Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2011 3:23:42 PM EDT
Is it possible for a regular civvie to obtain a license (if need be) to purchase and administer vaccines and meds for a personal pet?
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 3:34:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont think you would be able to buy an RX meds unless you go through a vet.. BUT the vet can probably sell you want you need in quantity so you can keep it on hand..

it also depends on what meds you are thinking of..

Brian
Link Posted: 3/5/2011 3:55:17 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I dont think you would be able to buy an RX meds unless you go through a vet.. BUT the vet can probably sell you want you need in quantity so you can keep it on hand..

it also depends on what meds you are thinking of..

Brian

Regular vaccinations would be my primary goal.  Nothing against veterinarians but the cost of giving just one of my dogs a Bordetala  (sp) shot is $60.  A recent visit to the Vet cost $120 for a once over and a script for reggit(sp) that turns out to be a regular NSAID.  Just curious if I can be more prepared for my dogs and obviously save money.

Link Posted: 3/6/2011 8:45:29 PM EDT
[#3]
You can buy some vaccines and everything you need at ranch supply stores. However you will run into the problem of getting a rabies certificates or health certificates as only a DVM can sign it.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:23:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:47:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:24:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Firebird,

You can purchase and administer all vaccines except for rabies in the state of Texas. You absolutely will want to learn how to correctly store and give subcutaneous injectable first. I think you are up north in the state, but I would be more than happy to show you how when I am up that way next. In fact, I'll be in McKinney this coming weekend for an ASCA dog show.

I recommend purchasing vaccinations online through reputable suppliers rather than going to a feed store. Also there are some brands of vaccines that are better than others, Intervet Progard for example, offers a warranty on their vaccine's effectiveness.

Most general antibiotics are available OTC, but use caution in administering these because if you don't know what you are treating or why, you can actually cause more harm. I keep them on hand for minor cuts and such incurred during dog fights or accidents that occur during times when my regular vet isn't available. It seems that fights always happen on Saturday afternoon and the vet isn't open until Monday. You will want to know what antibiotic to give in what situation and the proper dosage.

I also keep liquid fenbendazole and metronidazole on hand for worming and giardia outbreaks.

I still go to my vet for annual check-ups, rabies and heartworm medications.

Extremely kind of you to offer.  

We treat our dogs to yearly exams and whatever shots at (6mos) the state of TX tells us we have to get for them.  We did have to push to get some lower pricing on the Advantix and HeartGuard.  Our guys get the occasional bump and bruise from playing or running.  For years I have used old school methods before running off to the Vet.  This last time around my Lab had a sore elbow joint (playing ) that didn't get better a few days so I took him in.  Had I known a simple med would have helped heal him I would have given it too him.

We are not too far from McKinney and it sounds like an interesting event.

FB

ETA;  IM sent

Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top