Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2017 1:17:38 PM EDT
Selling on craigslist - I know first come first serve - fine.

Lets say you have a couple interested buyers on an item (bicycle in this case)  In this case there is no 'I'll take it' offers - Just a couple I'd like to come look at it.

Contact them in order that the responses come in?

If first contact says they will come look at it at a specific time that I agree to

What's the next step - hold off on contacting interested party no 2 until party no. 1 meets at the specified time.

Contact interested party no. 2, and sell if they come over before buyer no. 1 comes over.

I prefer to be polite - not particularly ruthless though  I'd take a 'I'll take it offer' without a doubt.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:19:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I give them all the same time to check it out, first one to hand me cash gets it.

I don't care who shows up and when, if it sells it's gone and I'll contact the others and tell them it has been sold.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:23:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd probably contact the potential buyer that I'd least expect to waste my time, regardless of which one was first. If they're both equal in the aspect, I'd go with the first one to contact me.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:25:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I love the lowball texts without even seeing whatever I have for sale in person.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:25:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Application

Credit check

Best candidate wins
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:25:52 PM EDT
[#5]
First come first serve, in that scenario, means the person that gets there first and offers to buy it, not the person that emailed you first.

Offer them the same times and let them know other people are interested and may get there first.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:26:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd probably contact the potential buyer that I'd least expect to waste my time, regardless of which one was first. If they're both equal in the aspect, I'd go with the first one to contact me.
View Quote
It's always hard to gauge a motivated buyer. I've had people ask 100 questions and set a time, then not show up, then call again 4 days later. I've also had people send a basic text like "When can I come look at it" and later show up with cash ready to take it home.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:28:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
First come first serve, in that scenario, means the person that gets there first and offers to buy it, not the person that emailed you first.

Offer them the same times and let them know other people are interested and may get there first.
View Quote
I do the same, like give a time from 3-5pm and say "There are other people interested and coming to look at it between 3-5 today, I'll contact you if it sells before you get here"

I've had people say "Mind if I come over earlier" which I will tell them it's fine, because they almost always show up ready to buy if they want to beat everyone else there.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:31:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I scan the emails and respond to whoever can write clearly and sounds like they want it the most.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:31:18 PM EDT
[#9]
My response has been that whoever shows up first with the cash first gets it.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:34:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Money talks.
Bullshit walks.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:36:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I give them all the same time to check it out, first one to hand me cash gets it.

I don't care who shows up and when, if it sells it's gone and I'll contact the others and tell them it has been sold.
View Quote
FPNI.

I don't care who contacted me first. The first person to show up and hand me money gets it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:40:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
FPNI.

I don't care who contacted me first. The first person to show up and hand me money gets it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FPNI.

I was selling 4 used tires one time, I wanted $200 for the whole set. They were a set of 31's with about 50% tread left.

A guy called and asked if he could buy one tire per week for the next 4 weeks.

I asked him what happens when somebody wants to buy all 4 and I only have 3 left? Somehow he thought I was being unreasonable for not wanting to set him up on an installment plan for used tires.

I told him to call back in 4 weeks when he saved up the $200, if I still had them they were his. Some other guy bought them all 2 days later.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:41:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Craigslist selling etiquette:

Make sure photos don't show any major damage and then act surprised when buyer notices it.

Do not mention if any parts are missing.

Tell buyers that they can come by to look at what you're selling at a specific time and place, then schedule something else to do that day.

When buyer shows up, mention that someone offered you more money, so the price went up.

Craigslist buying etiquette:

Send crazy lowball offers - like $1k for a car listed at $15k.  

Do not read the description - ever.  Ask weird obvious questions.  Example: if the listing is for a Chevy Suburban, ask if it is a convertible and can a dog fit in the back seat.  Ask millions of questions, even if you have no interest in buying.

Set up firm meetings at specific times and places.  Preferably before 8am.  Do not show up - ever.

Do not bring cash.  If you do bring cash, make sure its at least $100 short . .  when the buyer counts the money and says you're short say something like "you sure?  ah man, that's all I have . . we gotta deal?" and stare dead-eyed at the seller.

If the ad says "cash only", see if they'll take weed instead . . or broken car parts.  Bring this up during the handshake, when you mention that you didn't bring any cash.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:42:37 PM EDT
[#14]
1 - Schedule all potential buyers to come look at it at the same time.
2 - Drop some assorted broken pool cues, machetes, sections of pipe in front of them.
3 - Tell them "Last man standing can buy it."
 3a. - Open recording ap on your phone.
 3b. - Point phone at action.
    3b.(1) - hold phone in vertical format, people like to see the sky conditions.
4 - ???
5 - Profit
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:44:22 PM EDT
[#15]
There are not many things worth selling on craigslist to deal with all the retards of society.  I'd sooner just throw everything away.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:48:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Craigslist selling etiquette:

Tell buyers that they can come by to look at what you're selling at a specific time and place, then schedule something else to do that day.
View Quote
I drove 90 minutes with a couple grand in my pocket one time to look at some equipment, I arrived exactly 3 minutes after the set meet up time. The fucker was MIA, no one home, no answering his phone, nothing. I look in the garage window and there is the item I came to check out and very likely tow home that day unless it was totally different than described.

So I wait in his driveway for like 30 minutes, no answer twice on his phone.

Said fuck it and started driving home.

This douchebag calls me 30 minutes later and says "Sorry about that, I forgot my kid had a game today, I'm home now if you want to head back over"

I told the guy to fuck off and hung up. Fucking people, here I am ready to hand you 3 grand, and you can't even send me a text or give a quick call saying you have to move the time.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:48:59 PM EDT
[#17]
take etiquette and throw it out of the window
first person there with cash in hand wins

no bs... no sob stories

you really want to piss yourself off
sell stuff on fb

no shows
people who want it and then later on say.... can you hold it for me I get paid next friday, when I get my tax refund, after the next moon of the rising tide etc. etc. etc.  

its ridiculous
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:49:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There are not many things worth selling on craigslist to deal with all the retards of society.  I'd sooner just throw everything away.
View Quote
I'm about to that point - not in this adventure but in some past adventures.

I had an old couch I advertised for free.   It was a rodeo - one person had to have it, kept breaking the time she picked to come get it.  I think it took her almost a week to get her act together and come get it.

I've always loved the canned - is this your best price on the item (literally using the words 'the item' not naming the actual item)

Or, I'm working offshore, and - a paragraph of blabber about how they will make the arrangements to pick up the item.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:51:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm going through that this week.

I'm cleaning out my barn and finding stuff like tool boxes, corded power tools, and various other odd and ends, all of which are worth between about $50-$100 used. I don't even want to list anything because I'll be getting slammed with offers for $25 all week, and then people not showing up to buy stuff.

It's a fucking truck tool box from Lowes, here is the model number, look it up online and notice that the one I'm selling is the same exact item, just in used condition and for 50% of retail price.

Either show up and hand me the money for it and take it away, or don't bother me.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:54:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
1 - Schedule all potential buyers to come look at it at the same time.
2 - Drop some assorted broken pool cues, machetes, sections of pipe in front of them.
3 - Tell them "Last man standing can buy it."
 3a. - Open recording ap on your phone.
 3b. - Point phone at action.
    3b.(1) - hold phone in vertical format, people like to see the sky conditions.
4 - ???
5 - Profit
View Quote
4- "Whirlstar!"
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:54:57 PM EDT
[#21]
I just make sure that I don't have two people traveling to come see an item at the same time.  I expect the same from a seller, especially if traveling far.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:07:21 PM EDT
[#22]
1st one with cash takes it IMHO.  I've tried to sell so much stuff before & I get people that say ok I'll call you to arrange & then never heard anything again....You want to see it, meet me & buy it.  You don't buy it fine I'm not following your azz like your mom when you were 5, you snooze you loose.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:10:18 PM EDT
[#23]
First rule of Craigslist is that there are no rules
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:12:53 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't respond to anybody that doesn't type in at least a moderately proper format.

No punctuation, grammer etc? No reply.

Unless they're just saying, "Ill take it".
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:24:30 PM EDT
[#25]
First come, first serve. As long as you tell people that up front there is no problem from me. You don't have any duty to let people know that, but since we're talking etiquette..

If I can't make it until tomorrow and some other person can make it today, I don't see why the seller owes me anything other than a courtesy text or email letting me know it's sold.

Also, be sure to leave the ad up after it's sold and don't respond to any emails or texts inquiring about it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:30:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I don't respond to anybody that doesn't type in at least a moderately proper format.

No punctuation, grammer etc? No reply.

Unless they're just saying, "Ill take it".
View Quote
But spelling errors are okay?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:36:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
First come, first serve. As long as you tell people that up front there is no problem from me. You don't have any duty to let people know that, but since we're talking etiquette..

If I can't make it until tomorrow and some other person can make it today, I don't see why the seller owes me anything other than a courtesy text or email letting me know it's sold.

Also, be sure to leave the ad up after it's sold and don't respond to any emails or texts inquiring about it.
View Quote
Good idea - why didn't I think of that!

Jokes on me.  

Second responder wants to buy it for his girlfriend.

Turns out the first responder is his girlfriend.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:41:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Selling and buying on Craigslist/facebook/let go/close5/ ect really give you a good grasp of how shitty people really are.

I wanted a decent Jeep CJ in the 10k range and found one a few hours away that looked perfect. I set up a meeting time, rented a car hauler, pulled 10k cash out, borrowed a diesel truck and drove 4 hours to pick it up. Upon arriving and looking at the Jeep I was furious. The seller had posted pictures that were at least 10 years old. The jeep was totally clapped out leaking fluid and undriveable. The guy just looked at me and said well make an offer. You couldn't have paid me to take that POS and I wasted 9 hours and $200 in the trip.

As a seller I have too many stories to list but typically people are just stupid

Example:
Giving away a free TV and I got this request 4 times from 4 different people.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:42:26 PM EDT
[#29]
When you list something actually have time to show it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 2:48:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Went through the Free TV thing too.   Selling is hard, giving stuff away is almost harder.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 3:27:02 PM EDT
[#31]
I saved this from when I sold our car a couple years ago.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 3:39:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 4:23:11 PM EDT
[#33]
first person with money wins.

thems the rules
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 5:29:35 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Selling and buying on Craigslist/facebook/let go/close5/ ect really give you a good grasp of how shitty people really are.

I wanted a decent Jeep CJ in the 10k range and found one a few hours away that looked perfect. I set up a meeting time, rented a car hauler, pulled 10k cash out, borrowed a diesel truck and drove 4 hours to pick it up. Upon arriving and looking at the Jeep I was furious. The seller had posted pictures that were at least 10 years old. The jeep was totally clapped out leaking fluid and undriveable. The guy just looked at me and said well make an offer. You couldn't have paid me to take that POS and I wasted 9 hours and $200 in the trip.

As a seller I have too many stories to list but typically people are just stupid

Example:
Giving away a free TV and I got this request 4 times from 4 different people.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/195843/tv-192218.JPG
View Quote
Thine exchange with yon RenFaire reject was most amusing!
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 5:49:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I love the lowball texts without even seeing whatever I have for sale in person.
View Quote
We do that with cars all the time. Specifically when something is way over priced and/or we want it to do something like gut for a race car build.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:02:06 PM EDT
[#36]
First come first serve. I am shrewd like that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top