Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2011 7:51:20 AM EDT
I have heard and read about alot of different solutions to the same problem of gutter protection.  I have also read some were scams, some worked well, and some not so well.

Anyone have any experience getting something like this?  What did you get? Price? Install? Hows it working?

I am getting tired of climbing on the roof to take care of the leaves in the fall, and the pollen crap in the spring...

?
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 7:57:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Clean them regularly, keep the squirrels from building nests in them, and glue a rubber snake to your roof to keep the woodpeckers from waking you up at 5:30AM trying to make a booty call.

NONE of the "never clean gutters again!" products work.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 7:58:53 AM EDT
[#2]
There's a company around here named "Gutter Helmet."

I refer to condoms as gutter helmets.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 8:08:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Clean them regularly, keep the squirrels from building nests in them, and glue a rubber snake to your roof to keep the woodpeckers from waking you up at 5:30AM trying to make a booty call.

NONE of the "never clean gutters again!" products work.

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:06:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Bump for the night/early morning folks.

Anyone have any other experiences?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:15:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I had a perforated metal plate type product installed and it worked as advertised.  Don't remember the brand, as I sold house.  Satisfied customer.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:20:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I had a perforated metal plate type product installed and it worked as advertised.  Don't remember the brand, as I sold house.  Satisfied customer.

Leaf Guard and Gutter Helmet are the two best products on the market.  They are expensive, but work as advertised.  I am on roofs all day, 6 days a week and I see what works and what doesn't.  The cheap products work for the first year, but will fail.  The edges of leaves and stems get caught in the perforations causing a dam to form on top of the gutter guard.  Water can't get into the gutter and you have a bigger problem.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:27:36 AM EDT
[#7]
the plastic gutter guard Homer Depot sells have been working for me for +2 years; they're
a little work to install (have to pry up shigles to slide plastic guard under & they're 3' long)
but once you get them on, they usually don't require much work.

I have pine needles to deal with; they get caught in the slot that the rain goes in, so ocassionaly
you have to get a stick & knock them out, but other than that for a DIY project it was one of the
best investments i've made. They run around $3-4.oo each.

The only thing I've noticed that gets in the gutter is some of the fine aggergate from the roof
shingles, but that's not enough to cause problems. I also do rainwater collection, so yes I get alot of
capture from the roof with them installed. Good luck
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:28:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I use gutters only where necessary, i.e. entrance areas, over A/C units.....as I have over 50 large oak trees. I go onto the roof with a gas blower 4 - 5 times a year to clean them. I installed two different kinds over the years and wound up taking them down, as they would clog up. Waste of time and money IMO.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:37:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:46:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Leaf Guard and Gutter Helmet are the two best products on the market.  They are expensive, but work as advertised.  I am on roofs all day, 6 days a week and I see what works and what doesn't.  The cheap products work for the first year, but will fail.  The edges of leaves and stems get caught in the perforations causing a dam to form on top of the gutter guard.  Water can't get into the gutter and you have a bigger problem.
Dang... that's quite a career change.  

Yup  $$ is good though.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 3:52:31 AM EDT
[#11]
I had the gutter helmet system installed on the two story high gutters in the front of my house and some in the back of the house.  It works, PERIOD

http://www.gutterhelmet.com/

It was roughly $10 a feet installed
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:00:37 AM EDT
[#12]
I'll call bullshit on everyone who claims these amazing products work.  My family tried everything they offered, but it never failed, guess whose ass was up a ladder once a month cleaning em out

Link Posted: 5/1/2011 4:43:36 AM EDT
[#13]
I have no personal experience, but products like Gutter Helmet are what This Old House always recommend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top