Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2014 1:13:24 PM EDT
I've had my tacoma for a while now and want to start throwing a little money at it to make it more off-road ready. I have the tires and wheels taken care of so I'd like to start getting recovery gear and stuff that will be a big help on the trails taken care of. Money isn't really an issue as I prefer top quality stuff and can take my time making larger purchases. My biggest problem is space. It's a regular cab so just about everything will be in the bed. I plan to get a shell of some kind to go on the bed so the stuff will be covered and somewhat secured.

I don't currently have a lift but will be getting one in the future. This isn't a major concern since I don't plan to go larger tire wise, but everything will weigh the truck down so it will get one eventually. I'm more concerned with gear that will help me if I get stuck by myself or with a passenger.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:26:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Gloves, flashlight, snatch straps, winch, D-rings, snatch blocks, tree savers, towels/blanket, shovel, high-lift jack, and wheel chocks.  Then check around your area for 4x4 club so you can learn how to properly use the stuff.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:27:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Gloves, flashlight, snatch straps, winch, D-rings, snatch blocks, tree savers, towels/blanket, shovel, high-lift jack, and wheel chocks.  Then check around your area for 4x4 club so you can learn how to properly use the stuff.

View Quote
Good list. I would add an air compressor and a full size spare to the list

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:38:21 PM EDT
[#3]
What has already been listed is what I was coming here to say.  Hi-lift jacks are amazing and can be used as a come-along in a pinch (Have done this multiple times).  Some type of on-board air wether is a compressor or CO2.  If you wanna go balls-out, on-board underhood welder is the shit too!  Jumper cables, or a jump-box when by yourself.  Dual batteries that are isolated from each other are nice too.  Don't forget emergency supplies like food, water, clothing suited fro the environment you are wheeling in in case none of the above can get you out.  Extra fluids of all sorts (gear, tranny, trasnfer case, tranny, and motor oils, coolant, etc.  Plenty of hand tools for repairs.  Know your vehcile inside and out and have spare parts available for common breakage issues (u-joints, axles, etc.) and know how to cahnge them with basic tools.

When I wheeled my 85 Chevy half ton hard I knew what would break and got damn good at replacing them in the mud, dirt, snow, ice, sand whatever.

Hope this helps
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:37:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
+ an axe or saw, maybe both.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:07:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Look into Maxtrax.  Also the TJM copy TRED.   Get a high lift and a lift-mate.  Shovel.  Hitch receiver shackle mount, some shackles, and a snatch strap.  Air compressor and tire repair kit.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:40:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Look into Maxtrax.  Also the TJM copy TRED.   Get a high lift and a lift-mate.  Shovel.  Hitch receiver shackle mount, some shackles, and a snatch strap.  Air compressor and tire repair kit.
View Quote

Maxtrax are one of the first things I'm getting. After that I'm getting the arb bag that comes with all the straps and other stuff. Are the Reese hi lift jacks any good? I have a gift card to tsc and they carry them but I don't want them if they're junk.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:58:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Can't go wrong with buying the name brand hi lift, the cost difference isn't much. You'll be spending more on hi lift accessories than the jack, anyway.

Do some research on how to safely use a hi lift, and practice in your driveway to get a feel for how it works. They are very unstable, and the bar can easily cause serious injury or death. Keep in mind you are going to need steel bumpers and rock sliders to use the hi lift on, you should also get the wheel lift adapters.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:03:06 PM EDT
[#8]
A quality Ground Anchor.

All the recovery gear in the world won't help you if there is nothing in range to attach to.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:29:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A quality Ground Anchor.
View Quote

Buried spare tire
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:34:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Learning how to drive off-road and knowing you and your  limitations would be the first step. Find a local 4x4 club and go on some rides with them. I have seen some skilled drivers get some old beat up 4x4's up/through some gnar and have seen others with  their new lifted and locked jeeps unable to make it though some pretty easy stuff considering what their vehicles were capable of.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:34:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Buried spare tire
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A quality Ground Anchor.

Buried spare tire

Ton of work to replace a good anchor that is self setting and even easier recovering. But yes a tire buried will work.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:40:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Ton of work to replace a good anchor that is self setting and even easier recovering. But yes a tire buried will work.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A quality Ground Anchor.

Buried spare tire

For sure, but I've never seen a dedicated anchor that was worth the space and weight it takes. Granted, in my AO, it is mostly rock crawling, any mud is in alpine areas where trees are abundant.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:51:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Good solid tow hooks, front and rear.

I have the stuff listed above, and I finally got around to getting one of these:

For times when I'm trying to recover a vehicle that doesn't have good, accessible tow hooks. It was $75 through AWDirect, a tow truck catalog.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:29:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

For sure, but I've never seen a dedicated anchor that was worth the space and weight it takes. Granted, in my AO, it is mostly rock crawling, any mud is in alpine areas where trees are abundant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A quality Ground Anchor.

Buried spare tire

Depending on the part of TX the OP is in he might have lots of mud/ruts and few trees with a deep root system.

Different AO different tools.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:20:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 11:01:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Depending on the part of TX the OP is in he might have lots of mud/ruts and few trees with a deep root system.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
A quality Ground Anchor.

Buried spare tire

There's plenty of trees where I'm at, but I have yet to see any on the beaches.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:18:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I have the stuff listed above, and I finally got around to getting one of these:

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mXXHtG4Xtd5TtHx35Nwqyig.jpg

For times when I'm trying to recover a vehicle that doesn't have good, accessible tow hooks. It was $75 through AWDirect, a tow truck catalog.
View Quote

And what does AWDirect say about using those hooks for recovery?

Not for recovery tech tip  Their catalog page for hooks:  http://www.awdirect.com/icatalog/p.asp?page=287
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:34:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Others have it pretty well covered but I'd add a fire extinguisher.  I don't leave home without one and definitely wheel with one.

since you have a Toyota?, check out TTORA. Great club that I wheel with.

have fun
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:25:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Not for recovery tech tip  Their catalog page for hooks:  http://www.awdirect.com/icatalog/p.asp?page=287
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They can say it all they want. Tow truck drivers use them all day long.

And I've yet to find a better solution for recovering a vehicle that doesn't have good tow hooks. Wrapping chains around random stuff underneath the chassis is just a good way to break stuff.

I'd rather take my bets on whether I'll exceed some WLL on a quality piece of gear.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:56:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Rescue tape, jbweld, cable ties and duct tape.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:08:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

And I've yet to find a better solution for recovering a vehicle that doesn't have good tow hooks. Wrapping chains around random stuff underneath the chassis is just a good way to break stuff.

I'd rather take my bets on whether I'll exceed some WLL on a quality piece of gear.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We use the web Y slings and cut the center loop off and just use one leg in the wreckers.  Haven't broken one yet.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:16:51 AM EDT
[#22]
PSP makes a good deadman
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:23:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Web slings and wraps are much safer than chains any day. Straps are more elastic for a reason and are best for tugging.

Use the right item for the job and be much safer.

I carry a  40,000 lb 30 foot strap and several web slings.

I use the web slings for when there is no tow point.

One thing no one mentioned is a blanket or old coat. Lay it across the recovery line. It helps dampen the stored energy if something breaks.

It maybe be silly and not necessary to some but being safe is no joke. Get hit by a sling, strap, or chain and you probably won't live long enough to get to the hospital.

I speak from past experience from stupid mistakes. I was hauling logs out of the woods using a chain. My first mistake.  I was pulling using the front tow points. Second mistake. Log got stuck so I decided to tug it. Third mistake. Chain broke came flying back thru the windshield. It hit the seat back right beside me. Impossible to remove brown stain from seats. It was a constant reminder don't be stupid.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 11:11:40 AM EDT
[#24]
spare outer front axle shaft and spare locking hub to add to above listed recovery equip.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 11:26:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
spare outer front axle shaft and spare locking hub to add to above listed recovery equip.
View Quote

Go ahead and add U Joints for axle and driveshaft.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 12:07:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He doesn't have ujoints in the front axle. CV joints so he need extra of those and you are right he will need them....
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:03:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Web slings and wraps are much safer than chains any day. Straps are more elastic for a reason and are best for tugging.

Use the right item for the job and be much safer.

I carry a  40,000 lb 30 foot strap and several web slings.

I use the web slings for when there is no tow point.

One thing no one mentioned is a blanket or old coat. Lay it across the recovery line. It helps dampen the stored energy if something breaks.

It maybe be silly and not necessary to some but being safe is no joke. Get hit by a sling, strap, or chain and you probably won't live long enough to get to the hospital.

I speak from past experience from stupid mistakes. I was hauling logs out of the woods using a chain. My first mistake.  I was pulling using the front tow points. Second mistake. Log got stuck so I decided to tug it. Third mistake. Chain broke came flying back thru the windshield. It hit the seat back right beside me. Impossible to remove brown stain from seats. It was a constant reminder don't be stupid.
View Quote

This is good advice, and I'd add learn the proper way to use a Hi-Lift jack. They can and will kill you. I got inside the handle's arc one day and got popped in the side of the neck. I was literally stunned for a few minutes, I just laid on the ground blinking my eyes. A few inches higher and it could have cracked my skull.

There's some good YouTube vids, and Overland Journal did a good article on it too.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:16:56 PM EDT
[#28]
We all learn the hard way sometimes but we never forget it.

I learned about hi-lifts the same way. Got down on my hands and knees to look at something under the truck. Handle fell down and cracked me on the back of my head.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 11:10:17 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:28:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Didnt read the thread, so forgive me if it's been mentioned.
Just like a first aid kit is useless without knowledge, recovery gear is also. Dangerous even.

Learn how to properly use the gear, and when. Your 8K winch may be plenty, until you are frame deep in mud. thenis it enough?

There is an Army TM that is great for learning self recovery.

EDIT:
Deadsled's link. Learn it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top