Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 12:31:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Off topic but the Piper Cub was much loved by the GIs.  When one went aloft, the German artillery STFU lest they be spotted and receive counter-battery fire.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 12:33:26 AM EDT
[#2]
B-32 Dominator.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 12:38:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Potez 633 B2

Link Posted: 1/15/2023 12:40:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

The Tigercat was an interesting fighter, too big to effectively operate off of an Essex class carrier. She was built for the Midway class

As a traditional fighter she would've been a bruiser....four 20mm cannons with four .50cal in the nose

also with two of those wonderful R2800 engines too
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 12:52:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Off topic but the Piper Cub was much loved by the GIs.  When one went aloft, the German artillery STFU lest they be spotted and receive counter-battery fire.
View Quote

Bazooka Charlie - WW2s Strangest Tank Buster
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 12:59:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Of course not. Wireless fobs and push button start.
View Quote

To get the seat warmers going before ya got in...
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 1:00:46 AM EDT
[#7]
My grandfather was 36 when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor.  He was supremely pissed and joined the Army immediately.  Due to his age and expert marksmanship, the Air Corps wanted to make him a gunnery instructor, but he was determined to go kill the enemy and was eventually sent overseas as a Gunner on an A-20.  His unit, the VC 85th Bombardment Squadron received a Presidential Unit Citation for stopping the Germans at Kasserine Pass.

Their patch was a skeleton wearing a top hat, twirling a revolver and smoking a cigar, while riding a bomb. His missions went from North Africa, to Sicily, Italy, and the invasion of Southern France (which came after D-Day on 15 August 1944.). He was wounded in the ass by a piece of shrapnel that went through one cheek, across his ass crack, and through the other cheek.

The Air Force wanted to keep him on active duty after the war, but an injury from an auto accident led to his discharge.  

Link Posted: 1/15/2023 1:18:54 AM EDT
[#8]
The B-23 Dragon was advanced for its time, and a lovely aircraft but eclipsed by the newer designs. Extremely popular as a business aircraft after they were decommissioned.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 1:46:25 AM EDT
[#9]
One of my favorite. Not quite a bomber but oh well.
P-61 Black Widow Night Fighter

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 3:43:37 AM EDT
[#10]
My grandfather was a b26 pilot. He flew 1944-1945. He flew Christmas Eve 1944 during the battle of the bulge. He had some good stories.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 10:57:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My grandfather was a b26 pilot. He flew 1944-1945. He flew Christmas Eve 1944 during the battle of the bulge. He had some good stories.
View Quote

Same here, well dad was trained on B-25’s, then flew B-26’s in Europe. Decided he wanted to make a career so when he finished his last mission, he came home and signed up for B-29’s, which he flew in the Pacific. He said he always missed the B-26, ad loved the B-25. He said he got some time in the A/B26 and enjoyed them as well. His love of the twins was transferred to me.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 11:15:13 AM EDT
[#12]
My dad flew A26 during WWII they had their planes already painted black getting ready to run nighttime raids on Japan when they dropped the bomb!!!
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 11:40:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Same here, well dad was trained on B-25’s, then flew B-26’s in Europe. Decided he wanted to make a career so when he finished his last mission, he came home and signed up for B-29’s, which he flew in the Pacific. He said he always missed the B-26, ad loved the B-25. He said he got some time in the A/B26 and enjoyed them as well. His love of the twins was transferred to me.
View Quote

That's awesome. My grandpa hated the b17 because they got all the fame. He said my plane held the same payload capacity but just couldn't fly as far. And it was harder to land than b17s. He would comment at the TV when he was watching WW2 programs and they mentioned the B17.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 12:05:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

My grandmother's bother was a tail gunner on a B-26.  He was killed when his B-26 was shot down January 1945 over Belgium.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 12:20:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I thought the entire war was fought with P-51s, Spitfires, those Fockers flying Messerschmitts, and the Zero.  I mean, that is all that is ever discussed in WW2 air warfare.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 12:25:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Off topic, as it's neither a bomber nor does it count as WWII aircraft, but the VFW post that I used to live up by has a P2V-5, restored to its original colors.

And here it was in its gate guardian colors about a decade ago.

An article detailing some of this aircraft's service history.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 1:15:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That's awesome. My grandpa hated the b17 because they got all the fame. He said my plane held the same payload capacity but just couldn't fly as far. And it was harder to land than b17s. He would comment at the TV when he was watching WW2 programs and they mentioned the B17.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s kind of the e time not of all twin bomber pilots. Dad didn’t hate the 17 but he did say when he went to B29 school there were only a couple B-29’s and quite a few B-17’s.  They all thought they had been lied to and were going to end up in B-17’s. Then they found out due to the lack of B-29’s for training you learned in the B-17 most of your basic and transitioning fro, twins to quads. He also said they were all glad no B-24’s were there.

He used to tell me that their low level bombing was twice as hard as what the heavies went through, while flak was there, they were ge really under it on the bomb runs, but fighters and anti aircraft was insane. If you did have a problem you were most likely dead due to their lower altitudes and higher speeds.

Dad did say he and the guys he went over to the pacific with did a temporary stint flying B-25’s as they were already checked out, and they needed some to fill slots since they didn’t have enough available B-29’s when he first got there. He said he had the option to stay when more aircraft arrived but wanted to fly the 29 more.he has allot of 29 stories. It to me is one of the most inflated or allot of unknown facts about planes of WW2.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 5:57:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
They just finished her restoration, and on a test flight landing the left gear folded up.

She can be repaired.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/183309/Special_Kay1-2672548.jpg
View Quote

Here is a video of just after the crash. They are selling their T-33 in hopes of raising enough money to get Kay back in the air. They also have a go-fund-me for donations and a swag shop.

A26K Special Kay Never Seen video of Damages

How about a B-25 J with gun nose and a cannon?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 6:05:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
How about an AT-11?
Dirty Rons that I got to fly for a bit back from Sun n Fun.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/353455/img145a_jpg-2672536.JPG
View Quote

@hellbent_4

The hell you say!
I miss Dirty Ron!
I bought his O-2A!
You know where Ms Jo is today?

He and my dad hung out together.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 6:16:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Little known factoid.

The Douglas A-20 Havoc / Boston / P-70 had a set of rudimentary Flight controls (Stick, rudder pedals, throttle quadrant, altimeter & compass) in the rear gunners compartment for "emergency use only"

Since the A-20 was a single pilot aircraft, the thought was that the rear gunner could fly the plane back to base to land if the pilot were killed or incapacitated.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 6:18:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My dad flew A26 during WWII they had their planes already painted black getting ready to run nighttime raids on Japan when they dropped the bomb!!!
View Quote

Yep
My Dad’s group came home from Europe , had some time off , and were scheduled to start training to incendiary bomb Japan.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 6:35:25 PM EDT
[#22]
This light enough for ya?   IMO, if we had produced nothing but these and P47's, we would have easily still won the war.

de Havilland Mosquito

Link Posted: 1/15/2023 6:45:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Specifically the A-20 Havoc, B-26 Marauder, and A-26 Invader

Douglas A-20 Havoc...this little hot rod first saw service with the RAF
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/142208/150727-F-IO108-028_JPG-2672467.JPG

Martin B-26 Marauder...the Baltimore Whore because she was fast without a visible means of support (early ones had a short wing span and were viewed as a Widowmaker). Ironically they wound up having the best safety record of any USAAF aircraft in the war
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/142208/071030-F-1234S-025_jpeg-2672473.JPG

Douglas A-26 Invader.....these wound up seeing service in WWII, Korea, and even into Vietnam.....my museum has a A-26K Counter Invader from Vietnam in it. The Invader for its size was fast. She along with the B-26 Marauder used the damn near bulletproof Pratt and Whitney R-2800 Double Wasp radial engine
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/142208/B-26Bs_452BWL_Korea_May1951a_jpg-2672482.JPG

The B-26 was a true medium bomber which would've operated between 5-10,000 feet while the A-20 and A-26 were more light bombers/attack aircraft.

I didn't mention the B-25 Mitchell because that particular model is pretty damn famous.....kind of guaranteed with the whole Doolittle Raid
View Quote

The Havoc was known to the RAF as the Douglas Boston, and was very popular with it's crews, most of whom had been equipped with Fairey Battles (deathtraps) and Bristol Blenheims (not a lot better). My late father in law was a Navigator with 88 Squadron, 2nd Tactical Air Force. Among other notable raids they took part in the Eindhoven Raid against the Phillips Works. They were also the first aircraft over the D-Day beaches, laying smoke for the landings, apparently getting shot at by both sides. This picture was taken after they came back from their first run:

Another of their aircraft being bombed up, the rear gunner at his station. He's standing far right in the crew photo.

Link Posted: 1/15/2023 7:32:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
This light enough for ya?   IMO, if we had produced nothing but these and P47's, we would have easily still won the war.

de Havilland Mosquito

https://www.warbirds-eaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Mosquito_10_1000X1000-1000x675.jpg
View Quote

No way could we could have won, let alone easily.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 7:33:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Here is a video of just after the crash. They are selling their T-33 in hopes of raising enough money to get Kay back in the air. They also have a go-fund-me for donations and a swag shop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccljZ7SJ-Jk

Attachment Attached File
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They just finished her restoration, and on a test flight landing the left gear folded up.

She can be repaired.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/183309/Special_Kay1-2672548.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccljZ7SJ-Jk

Attachment Attached File

Actually this is not a J model but a H model.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 7:35:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

de Havilland Mosquito

https://www.warbirds-eaa.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/Mosquito_10_1000X1000-1000x675.jpg
View Quote

I got to crawl around and play in a Mosquito a few years ago.  Very cool little aircraft.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 7:48:37 PM EDT
[#27]
The Mosquito could carry the bomb load of the B-17 (a 4,000 lb bomb) and do so a much better speed than the B-17 or B-24.

The Mosquito could carry the larger & "oversized" bombs too - such as the RAF 4,000 lb High Capacity "Cookie" ...

The Mosquito Bomber model B Mk XVI had a maximum speed of 408 mph (657 km/h), an economical cruise speed of 295 mph (475 km/h) at 20,000 ft, and 350 mph (560 km/h) at 30,000 ft, ceiling of 37,000 ft (11,000 m), a range of 1,485 nmi (2,750 km), and a climb rate of 2,800 ft per minute (14 m/s). The type could carry 4,000 lb (1,800 kg) of bombs.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 7:50:59 PM EDT
[#28]
A Mosquito Bomber B Mk IX holds the record for the most combat operations flown by an Allied bomber in the Second World War. LR503, known as "F for Freddie" (from its squadron code letters, GB*F), first served with No. 109 and subsequently, No. 105 RAF squadrons. It flew 213 sorties during the war, only to crash at Calgary airport during the Eighth Victory Loan Bond Drive on 10 May 1945, two days after Victory in Europe Day.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 8:10:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The Mosquito could carry the bomb load of the B-17 (a 4,000 lb bomb) and do so a much better speed than the B-17 or B-24.

The Mosquito could carry the larger & "oversized" bombs too - such as the RAF 4,000 lb High Capacity "Cookie" ...

https://preview.redd.it/oo60em359qv51.jpg?auto=webp&s=0849bbf33fcefe21545493c777ccb29fa1e3b434

Bigger_Hammer
View Quote

See that’s where people are mislead, the Mosquito could carry the cookie cutter 4000 pound bomb but those were specially modified (27 to be exact, but later versions were built at the factory to be able to be modified to carry the cookie cutter) and they couldn’t carry it further.  The cookie cutter versions were extremely restricted in range, maneuverability and speed while carrying it. The B-17 could carry allot more then 4500 it was the load used for long range missions due to having to carry maximum fuel load as well as ammo for defensive guns. Short range was 8000 pounds, the B-17 could carry up 17000 pounds both internally and externally the loads I listed were all internal.Normal internal bomb loads for a mosquito were 2000 pounds. The bomber versions were also limited to between 250 and 290 loaded depending on version.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 8:10:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Post WW2 fire bomber A-26
Attachment Attached File

Early A-20 that beat the odds, surviving to the end of the war in Europe. Probably 2 1/2 years+ in combat.
Attachment Attached File

Early A-20, RAF paint scheme, US markings.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 8:13:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
A Mosquito Bomber B Mk IX holds the record for the most combat operations flown by an Allied bomber in the Second World War. LR503, known as "F for Freddie" (from its squadron code letters, GB*F), first served with No. 109 and subsequently, No. 105 RAF squadrons. It flew 213 sorties during the war, only to crash at Calgary airport during the Eighth Victory Loan Bond Drive on 10 May 1945, two days after Victory in Europe Day.

Bigger_Hammer
View Quote

Most aircraft were capable of carrying out more missions but due to the US production many were retired to be used as hacks, formation aircraft or parts. The USA had the unique ability to be wasteful where other countries use could not replace equipment like we could.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 8:24:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

See that’s where people are mislead, the Mosquito could carry the cookie cutter 4000 pound bomb but those were specially modified (27 to be exact, but later versions were built at the factory to be able to be modified to carry the cookie cutter) and they couldn’t carry it further.  The cookie cutter versions were extremely restricted in range, maneuverability and speed while carrying it. The B-17 could carry allot more then 4500 it was the load used for long range missions due to having to carry maximum fuel load as well as ammo for defensive guns. Short range was 8000 pounds, the B-17 could carry up 17000 pounds both internally and externally the loads I listed were all internal.Normal internal bomb loads for a mosquito were 2000 pounds. The bomber versions were also limited to between 250 and 290 loaded depending on version.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://preview.redd.it/oo60em359qv51.jpg?auto=webp&s=0849bbf33fcefe21545493c777ccb29fa1e3b434

Bigger_Hammer

The B-17 was state of the early 30's technology.   True it had turrets & turbochargers (not to mention the first aircraft "check list" after a early test model accident when they took off with the elevator gust locks still on).

The B-17 flew it's missions at just 200mph - typically with a 4,000 lb bomb load for most E.T.O. "strategic deep" missions.  The Consolidated B-24 could carry a heavier bomb load further & a little faster, but didn't have the reputation for durability and surviving combat damage of the B-17.

The Mosquito could carry 4000 lbs of bombs to Berlin & back at a cruise speed of 300 to 350 mph depending on altitude.   It could because it dispensed the enormous load of 8 extra crewmen (mainly gunners & machine guns & armor and the structure to carry them all - along with the extra fuel to carry all that weight all that distance.

If you gave the choice to fly combat missions in a B-17, B-24 or Mosquito...  I know which aircraft I'd much rather be flying or flying in.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 8:46:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Wait a minute... I'm pretty sure they didn't have ignition keys...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a piece of an A-20

https://i.imgur.com/yJLiZqy.jpeg

Wait a minute... I'm pretty sure they didn't have ignition keys...

Those are house keys.  This is the reason we can't have nice things.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 9:00:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

@hellbent_4

The hell you say!
I miss Dirty Ron!
I bought his O-2A!
You know where Ms Jo is today?

He and my dad hung out together.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/307202/99D4FF93-BA90-40C6-9ABE-65905CC49947_jpe-2673364.JP
View Quote
No idea, lost track of them a few years later.
That O-2 is a fun plane.
@oscardeuce

Link Posted: 1/15/2023 9:01:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Specifically the A-20 Havoc, B-26 Marauder, and A-26 Invader

Douglas A-20 Havoc...this little hot rod first saw service with the RAF
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/142208/150727-F-IO108-028_JPG-2672467.JPG

Martin B-26 Marauder...the Baltimore Whore because she was fast without a visible means of support (early ones had a short wing span and were viewed as a Widowmaker). Ironically they wound up having the best safety record of any USAAF aircraft in the war
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/142208/071030-F-1234S-025_jpeg-2672473.JPG

Douglas A-26 Invader.....these wound up seeing service in WWII, Korea, and even into Vietnam.....my museum has a A-26K Counter Invader from Vietnam in it. The Invader for its size was fast. She along with the B-26 Marauder used the damn near bulletproof Pratt and Whitney R-2800 Double Wasp radial engine
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/142208/B-26Bs_452BWL_Korea_May1951a_jpg-2672482.JPG

The B-26 was a true medium bomber which would've operated between 5-10,000 feet while the A-20 and A-26 were more light bombers/attack aircraft.

I didn't mention the B-25 Mitchell because that particular model is pretty damn famous.....kind of guaranteed with the whole Doolittle Raid
View Quote

My dad flew the A-26(B-26) while with the 17th bomb group in Korea.

He was awarded the DFC for one of his missions with that aircraft.

Second from left in the shot below:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 9:05:17 PM EDT
[#36]
A couple other overlooked fighters: the Macchi C202 and C205
Performance on par to the P-40
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 10:22:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Actually this is not a J model but a H model.
View Quote

Fat fingers on the keyboard. You are correct.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 10:36:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The B-17 was state of the early 30's technology.   True it had turrets & turbochargers (not to mention the first aircraft "check list" after a early test model accident when they took off with the elevator gust locks still on).

The B-17 flew it's missions at just 200mph - typically with a 4,000 lb bomb load for most E.T.O. "strategic deep" missions.  The Consolidated B-24 could carry a heavier bomb load further & a little faster, but didn't have the reputation for durability and surviving combat damage of the B-17.

The Mosquito could carry 4000 lbs of bombs to Berlin & back at a cruise speed of 300 to 350 mph depending on altitude.   It could because it dispensed the enormous load of 8 extra crewmen (mainly gunners & machine guns & armor and the structure to carry them all - along with the extra fuel to carry all that weight all that distance.

If you gave the choice to fly combat missions in a B-17, B-24 or Mosquito...  I know which aircraft I'd much rather be flying or flying in.

Bigger_Hammer
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bigger_Hammer

Bigger_Hammer

Sorry but that is simply not true, the Mosquito could not carry 4000 pound bomb loads deep into Germany. It could only carry one cookie cutter 4000 pound bomb it was also a specially modified Mosquito that could not carry 500 pound bombs while configured to carry the cookie cutter. When it carried 500 pound bombs it only carried four. It also could not cruise above 250 miles a hour when carrying the cookie cutter, it could cruise just shy of 300 with a normal 2000 pound bomb load. The bomber versions were also severely limited in maneuverability when loaded with its bomb load. It also could only carpet bomb.

The B-17 could carry far more and the standard load was anywhere from 4000 to 8000 pounds internally based on destination, which dictated fuel load. Deep into Germany such as Berlin and beyond was a light load but closer targets were loaded heavier. I would not want to fly in any of them honestly as your odds of surviving flak, anti aircraft and German fighters was not great even towards the end of the war.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 10:51:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Fat fingers on the keyboard. You are correct.
View Quote

Lol I kinda wondered that as I do it all the time as well. My uncle flew B-25’s then A-26’s in the Pacific while dad didn’t fly the B-25’s long before he was sent back to B-29’s he did say they were allot of fun. My uncle said they we assigned a bunch of B-25H’s and found that in theory it was great, but in reality it was not accurate as you had to keep the plane semi stable which is easier said then done while in combat being shot at. It also caused cracking on the frames and bulkheads. Most had the cannon removed and replaced with machine guns which brought about the 8 gun nose from North American.  He did say the did keep quite a few glass nose and would install two more 50’s on the starboard side along with the four blister mounts introduced on the H model.

My uncle really liked the B-25, but said the A-26 was a hot rod and fun as hell to fly. Dad flew them after the war and prior to Korea as B-29 pilots were needed and said truth be told he would have rather stayed in the B-26 as it was known then.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 11:01:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Cool thread.

One fun fact I didn't see mentioned about the mosquito is that is made of wood. Apparently Hitler wasn't pleased and a bit jealous the Brits were using their woodworkers  to produce a pretty capable aircraft.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 11:20:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Cool thread.

One fun fact I didn't see mentioned about the mosquito is that is made of wood. Apparently Hitler wasn't pleased and a bit jealous the Brits were using their woodworkers  to produce a pretty capable aircraft.
View Quote

The wood came from Canada and the USA. Britain had allot of wood workers so really it was a natural progression.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 12:26:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Cool thread.

View Quote

Honestly, it never occurs to me to mention that the Mosquito was wood.
I assume everyone knows it.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 1:14:16 AM EDT
[#43]
It's ugly, but I've always liked the Bristol Beaufighter

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/16/2023 6:05:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

RAF or USAAF Beaufighter?

People forget that we also used the Beaufighter, Spitfire, and Mosquito

We used the Beaufighter as a night fighter until we got P-61s

we used the Spit up to and even a little after the Mustang came into the ETO and the Med

We used the Mosquito as a recce bird
View Quote
Indeed, they did!

https://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/G-PBIX.html

Link Posted: 1/16/2023 9:44:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Skyrocket enters the chat.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 9:47:49 AM EDT
[#46]
I always thought the a-26 was cool as hell
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 10:38:32 AM EDT
[#47]

....Westland Whirland

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 10:48:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Technically I don't think the B-26 had the best safety record in USAAF. I think it had the best overall loss record.

It had very small wings for its type, so low lift, low drag.  Put big huge honking engines, and with low drag, it was very fast.  So fast that they put some weight back on, into the frame; it had a very solid superstructure and was hard to take down.

It had a much lower combat loss rate then the B-25. Problem was, especially in the Pacific, you landed fast or you stalled and spun in, and if one engine failed it was easy to screw up.

B-26 would have had a much better record if there was more time to train pilots. IIRC they were pulled from the Pacific as it was just easier and safer to fly from big English tarmacs.

It was interesting that when four B-26s at Midway attacked the Japanese fleet at Midway, I think 1-2 closed to zero over one of the Japanese carriers.  Would have been an interesting "what if" if they had loaded bombs, not crap torpedoes.

link

One of the things in WWII is there were so many pilots being trained so fast that planes that were technically lesser might be more popular if they had a safer accident record.  B-25 vs B-26, F6F vs F4U.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 10:52:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

IIRC, the A-26 was involved in the little dust-up known as the Bay of Pigs.
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 1:33:00 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Technically I don't think the B-26 had the best safety record in USAAF. I think it had the best overall loss record.

It had very small wings for its type, so low lift, low drag.  Put big huge honking engines, and with low drag, it was very fast.  So fast that they put some weight back on, into the frame; it had a very solid superstructure and was hard to take down.

It had a much lower combat loss rate then the B-25. Problem was, especially in the Pacific, you landed fast or you stalled and spun in, and if one engine failed it was easy to screw up.

B-26 would have had a much better record if there was more time to train pilots. IIRC they were pulled from the Pacific as it was just easier and safer to fly from big English tarmacs.

It was interesting that when four B-26s at Midway attacked the Japanese fleet at Midway, I think 1-2 closed to zero over one of the Japanese carriers.  Would have been an interesting "what if" if they had loaded bombs, not crap torpedoes.

link

https://www.pacificwar.org.au/webgraphics/Midway/Midway_B26.jpg

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/a-shot-across-the-bow.jpg

One of the things in WWII is there were so many pilots being trained so fast that planes that were technically lesser might be more popular if they had a safer accident record.  B-25 vs B-26, F6F vs F4U.
View Quote

My dad told me that over 50 years ago, that allot of crashes were brought about by rapid pilot training. While we trained the best pilots there simply was not enough focus for specific multi engine aircraft, and he said it was not limited to just multi engine, but through out the military. He said allot of early B-26 crashes could have been eliminated had pilots had more training, this also held true to crashes in P-38’s. Remember your turning loose freshly minted pilots who had up until the had flown AT-10’s, AT-17’s, AT-9’s planes not known for their power or speed. Now let’s put them in a P-38, a high performance twin engined liquid cooled fighter, or a B-26 while engine management was easier with both aircraft allot of what you learned had to be forgotten, and new high performance aircraft specific techniques learned. Certain single engine aircraft were the same, take the Corsair, if you gave it to much throttle to soon it would flip, yet with what you had been learning in this was standard procedure. Come in slow with a B-26 it will stall, try to push it into the air to quick it will stall. P-38 was in a whole different class because of speed, liquid cooled engines, to name a few.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top