Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/19/2016 5:19:37 AM EDT
So my wife and I are active duty military, and she is going tdy coming up on Tuesday. She is being told she is sharing a hotel room with an open lesbian in her shop. She expressed to me today that she doesn't feel comfortable about it. I'm normally a don't rock the boat type person but does she have any grounds to request a room by herself? I certainly wouldn't want to room with a gay guy but I don't know if there is any reg/grounds to deny a room with a homosexual active duty member.

FBHO for even having to ask this question!

I
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:38:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Is the lesbian hot?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:44:12 AM EDT
[#2]
....the fact that she's a lesbian doesn't mean she's attracted to your wife

What has the other woman done to make her uncomfortable?

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:46:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Of course it doesn't mean she isn't either. Need pics of both wife and lesbian to accurately assess potential.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:46:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Do you think every gay dude wants to stick his penis in your butt?

They don't anymore than every women wants to jump you...
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:49:40 AM EDT
[#5]
All bets are off once they have a few drinks, no means yes.
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:51:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Lame ass post .308 but my wife is somewhat traditional and she's not comfortable with it... I feel like she has a right to be, I would be uncomfortable with a gay guy rooming with me.

Not to mention the .mil doesn't let men and women room together unless they're married... and they may not be attracted to eachother.

As far as the things she's done to make her uncomfortable, she talks about scissor ing and other shit in open conversation. It's no big deal to us men lol but it makes her somewhat uncomfortable.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:52:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still takes 2 to tango. Does OP not trust his wife?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:52:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Ask the First Sergeant for a different room assignment.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:52:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Could you not say this about male/female rooms too?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:53:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely!

She could be Barsexual.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:54:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

The fact that someone is male doesn't mean they're attracted to all women. Does that mean it would be ok for a male to be lodged with her?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 5:57:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Lame ass post .308 but my wife is somewhat traditional and she's not comfortable with it... I feel like she has a right to be, I would be uncomfortable with a gay guy rooming with me.

Not to mention the .mil doesn't let men and women room together unless they're married... and they may not be attracted to eachother.

As far as the things she's done to make her uncomfortable, she talks about scissor ing and other shit in open conversation. It's no big deal to us men lol but it makes her somewhat uncomfortable.
View Quote

Why?

I'd be way more concerned with them being annoying (flaming) than them making a pass or anything. But to be fair plenty of straight people annoy me.

If they begin talking about sexual stuff politely ask them to stop.

Stupid shit like this is why we have stupid laws which just makes everything more fucked up.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:02:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd have zero interest in sharing a room with anyone, and as a matter of fact when presented with that option I chose to just go ahead and pay for my own room.  

If what I have bolded above is true, your wife has every right to request a different room.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:06:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I'd have zero interest in sharing a room with anyone, and as a matter of fact when presented with that option I chose to just go ahead and pay for my own room.  

If what I have bolded above is true, your wife has every right to request a different room.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes the bold text is true. And it's a 2.5 week tdy to Alaska. Coming out of pocket for a room would be pretty pricey :(
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:09:28 AM EDT
[#15]
I would pay for a separate room myself. fuckem.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:10:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Why are they staying in the same room?

Per the JFTR, each traveler is authorized up to the max lodging rate.  IE: if the lodging rate is $100/night, 2 travelers staying in the same room are authorized up to $200/night total, not $100/night divided by 2.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:11:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Per the JFTR, each traveler is authorized up to the max lodging rate.  IE: if the lodging rate is $100/night, 2 travelers staying in the same room are authorized up to $200/night total, not $100/night divided by 2.
View Quote

Excerpt from JFTR, page 219:

1. Occupancy. Each official traveler is authorized lodging up to the authorized lodging rate.
2. Official Travelers Share a Room
a. Each official traveler is responsible for their portion of the room rate. Example: Two official travelers
share a room –each is responsible for 50% of the room cost; three official travelers share a room–each is
responsible for 33% of the room cost).
b. Multiple occupancy of a single room DOES NOT LIMIT a traveler’s lodging per diem ceiling
eligibility. Official travelers who share lodging are each authorized lodging costs NTE the single room rate
for the TDY locality. Example: Two official travelers who share a room in a $100/night lodging area have
$200 total with which to pay for a room.
c. Examples of Room Charge Allocation:
(1) Locality per diem lodging ceiling is $100/night. Two official travelers share a $250/night room.
Each official traveler is responsible for $125/night (but without an AEA, each only receives $100
reimbursement since the locality maximum lodging ceiling is $100/night).
(2) Locality per diem lodging ceiling is $100/night. Two official travelers share a $170/night room.
Each official traveler is responsible for, and receives,
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:11:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yes the bold text is true. And it's a 2.5 week tdy to Alaska. Coming out of pocket for a room would be pretty pricey :(
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

2.5 weeks

I'd want my own room regardless of gay or straight.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:19:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

1. Occupancy. Each official traveler is authorized lodging up to the authorized lodging rate.
a. Each official traveler is responsible for their portion of the room rate. Example: Two official travelers
share a room –each is responsible for 50% of the room cost; three official travelers share a room–each is
b. Multiple occupancy of a single room DOES NOT LIMIT a traveler’s lodging per diem ceiling

eligibility. Official travelers who share lodging are each authorized lodging costs NTE the single room rate
for the TDY locality. Example: Two official travelers who share a room in a $100/night lodging area have
(1) Locality per diem lodging ceiling is $100/night. Two official travelers share a $250/night room.
Each official traveler is responsible for $125/night (but without an AEA, each only receives $100
(2) Locality per diem lodging ceiling is $100/night. Two official travelers share a $170/night room.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent post! I will let her know. I wonder why they even double up on rooms? Maybe the people paying for the trip requested they double up?
I just don't want her to be labeled a bigot if she brings up the issue... Liberalism is a mental disorder.

ETA: thanks!!
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:22:38 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Many commands don't have the budget to pay for individual rooms and will not authorize it.  They're completely within their rights to do so.

OP, it's a shitty situation, but in this climate, I don't know what you'd have to do, because anything she does is going to turn out badly.  Has she addressed the previous issues she had with this person?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:25:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep/ the shirt would and should change the rooms.  I moved roommates all the time when I was a shirt for large TDYs.  If they are the only two there with XX chromosomes then things get a little tougher.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:34:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yep/ the shirt would and should change the rooms.  I moved roommates all the time when I was a shirt for large TDYs.  If they are the only two there with XX chromosomes then things get a little tougher.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course:( they are the only 2 women going.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:40:43 AM EDT
[#23]
We had a gay dude in our squadron that everyone hated to room with while TDY. No matter how many people complained, we were basically told "Tough shit".

BTW, he later became the first person in the military to be diagnosed with AIDS.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:43:41 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The fact that someone is male doesn't mean they're attracted to all women. Does that mean it would be ok for a male to be lodged with her?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why wouldn't it be? Are men just rape machines?

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:44:04 AM EDT
[#25]
Funny (!!??!!) isn't it, that some people can have their wishes stated and considered with no problems at all.  While others, with more traditional/religious/conservative views/beliefs are "bad" people if they express their concerns or beliefs.

Students at some university can be all upset if someone does/says something that makes them uncomfortable but others can't speak up for fear of it being held against them.

Where the hell are we going and who's going to survive it when we get there?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:44:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Just wear a skinhead, shirt with a rebel flag.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:45:55 AM EDT
[#27]
We're all just monkeys now in some social science experiment.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:49:36 AM EDT
[#28]
GD is being GD with one possible SJW among us
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:52:09 AM EDT
[#29]
unless your wife played softball she has nothing to worry about.

tell her to stay away from Long Island Ice Tea's.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:52:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Go with your wife. Lodge with lesbian. Have 3 way. Profit.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:54:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Do you think every gay dude wants to stick his penis in your butt?

They don't anymore than every women wants to jump you...
View Quote

But the chances are much higher. I love the tolerant attitude and all, but
she shouldn't be subject to it.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:55:04 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
We had a gay dude in our squadron that everyone hated to room with while TDY. No matter how many people complained, we were basically told "Tough shit".

BTW, he later became the first person in the military to be diagnosed with AIDS.
View Quote

I doubt that
Member of my unit in Korea contracted HIV in 1986. It was the very onset of understanding what it even was. The means of transmission weren't even fully know. As he was a cook, everyone was subjected to regular blood tests. I bet I had blood samples taken at least 25 time in about a six month span. Granted he was shipped out and I don't know whether it actually turned into full blown aids but the prognosis in those days were very grim.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:11:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:13:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:17:52 AM EDT
[#35]
This is an area where reality hasn't caught up to facts.

They wouldn't make a male and female share a room. By the same token they shouldn't let people who are sexually attracted to their own sex share a room with someone of the same sex.

Maybe call a Chaplain if the chain of command is resistant to make a decision.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:20:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I doubt that
Member of my unit in Korea contracted HIV in 1986. It was the very onset of understanding what it even was. The means of transmission weren't even fully know. As he was a cook, everyone was subjected to regular blood tests. I bet I had blood samples taken at least 25 time in about a six month span. Granted he was shipped out and I don't know whether it actually turned into full blown aids but the prognosis in those days were very grim.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I doubt that

1986?  Old news by then.  Ray had been dead two years in 86.

Raymond Orsini

From 1983
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:24:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Red flag Alaska?  I'm on that trip.  Wait till she finds out how they are fucking us on per diem, the carpet muncher will be the least of her concerns.  Nothing like paying out of pocket for a tdy...
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:27:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Red flag Alaska?  I'm on that trip.  Wait till she finds out how they are fucking us on per diem, the carpet muncher will be the least of her concerns.  Nothing like paying out of pocket for a tdy...
View Quote

I haven't looked at what her per diem is yet. She's always wanted to go to Alaska so I wouldn't mind if she splurged a little bit. I always get to go and she normally stays home with the kiddos.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:31:19 AM EDT
[#39]
I don't think it's accept to have your wife share a room with a lesbian anymore than it would be have her share a room with a random man. The point of same sex rooming is so both feel comfortable that there is no chance of being "attacked" in their sleep. She should voice her concerns to command.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:39:03 AM EDT
[#40]
What base you on OP?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:41:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
What base you on OP?
View Quote

Kadena AFB
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:47:00 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

We're all just monkeys now in some social science experiment.
View Quote
That about sums it up.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:47:41 AM EDT
[#43]
One of the standards in the US military is that a person will never be put in the position where they can (not will, CAN) be the object of sexual interest of a member of the opposite sex.  Regardless of the intentions of the people involved.

In other words, a man will never be roomed with a woman not his wife.  That's codified in law and regulation.  And a commander who places women (or men) in that position--or ignores when that happens--is subject to some serious penalties.

But then we ignore all that when it comes to billeting gays with members of their same sex, that they by their own declaration find sexually interesting.  

Which highlights one of the major failures of repealing DADT--using the standard that no one should be put in the position where they can be the object of sexual interest of another military member....

- Can't put a man in a room with a woman.  
- Can't put a gay man in a room with another gay man.
- Can't put a gay man in a room with a straight man.
- Repeat these three for the lesbians.

So where do I billet the gays?  

Can't put all the gays together.  Can't put them in their own room (isolating them for their choices).  Can't billet gay men and lesbians together (an obvious solution, but that's men and women sharing a room).

Which is why DADT was good policy-it made this entire issue moot.

You can't preach the need to reduce sexual assault, harassment and discrimination in the military on one hand, and then  tell straights they HAVE to put up with being the potential object of sexual interest of a gay military member on the other.  That's hypocrisy of the highest order.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:54:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I haven't looked at what her per diem is yet. She's always wanted to go to Alaska so I wouldn't mind if she splurged a little bit. I always get to go and she normally stays home with the kiddos.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$3.50 a day, plus $11 for incidentals.  Meals at the chow hall are $10 each, so welcome to costing you money to go tdy.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 7:57:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:08:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.   Most corporate policies dont allow this.   Not sure why the military should be any different...   Why should his wife have to shack up with a homosexual?

No way in hell I would want to share a room with a gay dude/transsexual.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:14:26 AM EDT
[#47]
I'd allow it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:20:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where at in AK? Your wife can stay at my house, but on a serious note if she is coming to Fairbanks( Ft.Wainwright, Eielson AFB or Ft. Greely) there are reasons for doubling up.

1) there aren't that many hotels and in the summer (tourist time) they get PACKED well in advance,

2) the military lodging on post is even smaller than the hotels in town and they get PACKED very early because of NWTC and other mountain schools that put on classes in the summer time.

3) depending on the forest fire situation ( happens every year) the military lodging is cleared out for smoke jumpers and fire crews.

The problem is a lack of lodging for all of the activity that goes on in the warm months its not that they are being cheap it just isn't there. If she is going to Anchorage then yeah they are being cheap. If she is going anywhere else like Kodiak , Juneau or somewhere else then the above about the lack of lodging applies.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:21:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Of course it doesn't mean she isn't either. Need pics of both wife and lesbian to accurately assess potential.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This
Personally I would not have a problem sharing a room with a gay guy, or a chick either.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:22:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Was assigned a gay roommate in college.  I did not convert.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top