Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2008 8:27:14 AM EDT
Not intending on staying in New York, just landing there and getting out of that hellhole as fast as possible.

My understanding is that all pepper spray in NYC has to have some damn warning label on it by law. If I print and attach said label myself, could I then legally travel through the state with it? Am I otherwise GTG?
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 8:28:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd do it. TSA will probably just think it's hairspray.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 8:32:04 AM EDT
[#2]
You can't fly with OC spray even in a checked bag. NYS regulates the size of the canister and the mixtures that are legal ( straight OC only).
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 8:32:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'd do it. TSA will probably just think it's hairspray.

TSA claims it doesn't have a problem with it according to their website, so long as it's under 4oz and checked.

It's NYC and NYS I'm worried about... Zeus their laws are draconian.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 8:33:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You can't fly with OC spray even in a checked bag. NYS regulates the size of the canister and the mixtures that are legal ( straight OC only).

The TSA website disagrees. According to it you can check pepper spray up to 4ozs in size.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 8:33:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I would put it in a clear plastic ziplock with a couple other cans of hairspray. The worst that will happen is they will take it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 8:36:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Ok, I was going by the signs they have posted at the airport, not the TSA website.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 8:43:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The air carrier can/may prohibit it in checked baggage (but they aren't the ones screening the bags). Per TSA SOP pepper spray is permitted in checked baggage.  The canister cannot exceed 4oz (118ml) by volume and it must incorporate a positive means to prevent accidental discharge.  You can't carry it through the security checkpoint or in carry on luggage.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 9:15:07 AM EDT
[#8]
YOU GONNA GET RAPED.

ETA: Check NYS laws about possession of pepper spray.
Certain formulations can be purchased in Upstate NY, only from an FFL, after signing and certifying you're not a rapist, child molester, assaulterer, adulterer, lesbian, manhandler, baggage handler, etc...

But NYC might be very different.
And if you didn't obtain it from an FFL in the state....
And if the cops you run into don't give a shit either way....

Raped.
Link Posted: 12/24/2008 12:15:18 PM EDT
[#9]
pepper spray is legal in NY and NYC
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top