Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/15/2002 8:53:16 AM EDT
Hi all - I see below that this issue has been touched on, but a read through of the post below entitled "Flash Suppressor Question on POST BAN" didn't reveal the exact answer I was looking for.

In many supposedly legal post-ban models (the new Colt 6400c) and other after-market add ons (Wilson Combat AR-15 compensator), it appears that there are loopholes around getting a compensator/flash hider on an AR-15.

I was just curious as to what exactly makes it ok to put a comp/FH on these guns.  Is it the fact they they are not "flash hiders" and do not mask the flash signature?  That seems pretty loosey-goosey.  Is it only those that are "permanently attached".  Is it because it has a "non-standard" threading?

Any enlightenment would be appreciated :-)

TIA,

- Snacko
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 8:55:31 AM EDT
[#1]
It's not a flash hider if it's BATF-approved.  That's all it really comes down to.  If a device isn't BATF-approved, you stand the chance of going to court.  Hell, even if it is BATF-approved, they've already demonstrated that they reserve the right to change their minds at any time.
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 8:57:46 AM EDT
[#2]
So what you are saying that any after-market device or manufacturer installed device should have a BATF approved label on it somewhere?  Something tells me its not that clear...

- Snacko
Link Posted: 7/15/2002 11:18:37 AM EDT
[#3]
The devices that currently grace the muzzles of many AR-15 clones are called muzzle brakes or compensators.  Their purpose is to reduce muzzle climb and recoil by redirecting the gasses that are expelled from the barrel during firing.  They also tend to be "cosmetic".  Some present a pre-ban look while being post-ban legal.  They are generally attached to the barrel with silver solder and blind pins so as to be permanently attached.  

They are generally oversized, to preclude the launching of an obscure 1960's and 70's rifle grenade.  And they DO NOT reduce muzzle flash according to the BATF.  

So, you can get a post-ban AR-15 with a pre-ban looking muzzle brake.  However, you cannot mount a pre-ban flash suppressor on a post-ban rifle.

Complicated isn't it?
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 11:06:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I was thinking of using a Volquartsen Muzzle brake on an SPR project just because it is a very good break but want to be able to remove it for cleaning and such. On that note, let me get all this straight. If one has a post ban gun and wants to install an off the wall muzzle break that is bigger in diameter than a flash hider (like the Volquartsen) with a completely non standard thread, that no flash hider has ever been made for. Can you legally leave it un pinned?

IPSC_GUY sends
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 11:45:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/18/2002 4:09:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Can we assume that most LEO's are trained to know the difference between a compensator and a flash hider?  If you had one of these new muzzle breaks, (non-flash hider), do you think you would have to explain yourself every time you took it to the range?  The reason for my questions is that I'd like to build a post ban AR-15 A2, but have the look of the pre-ban.  I'd like to weigh my options first.  Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 7/19/2002 7:10:25 PM EDT
[#7]
NO most LEO don't have clue about what the Crime bill says or the fact that there is even a Ban. Some do but they are the extreme exception to the rule. Build your rifle legally and go to the range and enjoy

IPSC_GUY sends
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top