Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2004 8:39:00 PM EDT
I am starting a conservative newspaper on my campus, was wondering what the rules were for copy/paste pics off the internet.  Is it ok to do that without permission as long as there is no copyright label on it?  As I understand it, it is ok to print pics that have been taken in a public place, like pictures of billboards.  

I have picked up quite a few pro military pics off this site, was wondering if it is ok to print them.  

We are a non-profit, registered school orginization.  TIA, legal eagles.  

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:41:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Also was wondering if any businesses on here would like to donate, I will run an ad for you if you like, almost any size.  We are just starting up, and we are trying to get the vote out on our campus.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:44:16 PM EDT
[#2]
As I recall, copyright attaches upon creation. The notice is evidence of copyright, not a sine qua non for a copyright claim. Be careful. Only swipe from individuals who are likely to be flattered by the attention. Better advice: find a conservative Intellectual Property lawyer in your town who'll give you a free half-hour tutorial. It can be dangerous business.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:44:40 PM EDT
[#3]
BTT, for getting out the college vote.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:45:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Not for profit activities such as college publications, or schoolwork should be covered under fair use act.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:46:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
As I recall, copyright attaches upon creation. The notice is evidence of copyright, not a sine qua non for a copyright claim. Be careful. Only swipe from individuals who are likely to be flattered by the attention. Better advice: find a conservative Intellectual Property lawyer in your town who'll give you a free half-hour tutorial. It can be dangerous business.

Thanks.

What about the pro-military pics that I have picked up off this site, used in pro-military articles?

Basically if I print something without permission and the original owner wants to sue me, they can?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:47:33 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Not for profit activities such as college publications, or schoolwork should be covered under fair use act.

Can you tell me more about the "fair use act", or tell me where to find info on it?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:50:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Once again, Fair use. The most you would ever get would be a cease and decist letter from someone claiming copyright. Next option for them if you don't stop would be for them to file a court injunction. It would never get past a cease and decist letter but you still should be protected by fair use since it is scholastic and not for profit.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:50:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Ask someone on your campus. Heck, ask one of the professors or one of the heads of other publications.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:51:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Once again, Fair use. The most you would ever get would be a cease and decist letter from someone claiming copyright. Next option for them if you don't stop would be for them to file a court injunction. It would never get past a cease and decist letter but you still should be protected by fair use since it is scholastic and not for profit.

Thanks bro.  Found it:  http://www.utsystem.edu/ogc/intellectualproperty/copypol2.htm#test

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 8:55:48 PM EDT
[#10]
It is true that a copyright attaches upon creation, but a copyright also must be enforced by the owner or a representative of such copyright. Some pictures may be in the public domain. Some may not be. Also someone may take a picture that is in the public domain and publish it and put a copyright notice on it but they in reality own no claim to copyright. You might try browsing around the US copyright website www.copyright.gov/heck, it may prove me wrong. But when I was doing graphic design in college they told us any images we used for school projects were covered against copyright infringement under fair use. So I would assume an internal school publication would be covered also.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:00:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks like you would be ok as long as you give credit where credit is due.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top