Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/6/2006 12:39:11 PM EDT
Another lawmaker out to help the world. Can you believe this????

hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/W/WARM_BEER?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

Mo. Lawmaker Seeks to Ban Cold Beer Sales

By CHRIS BLANK
Associated Press Writer

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) -- A state senator wants to force Missouri stores to sell warm beer. Under a bill by Sen. Bill Alter, grocery and convenience stores would risk losing their liquor licenses if they sold beer colder than 60 degrees. The intent is to cut down on drunken driving by making it less tempting to pop open a beer after leaving the store.

"The only reason why beer would need to be cold is so that it can be consumed right away," Alter, who has been a police offer for more than 20 years, said Thursday.

He said the idea came from a fifth-grade student in Jefferson County who was participating in a program to teach elementary students about state government. He sought their suggestions for new laws and chose the cold beer ban from a list of the top three ideas.

"I thought it had the best chance at getting legislative attention," said Alter, R-High Ridge. "Plus, I think it's a good idea whether or not other people do."

Some lawmakers and lobbyists, however, are lukewarm about the idea.

Ron Leone, executive vice president for the Missouri Petroleum Marketers and Convenience Store Association, said the combination of Missouri's drinking and driving laws and designated driver programs already have curbed the number of people who drink and drive.

"It would be an inconvenience for law-abiding citizens who want to purchase cold beer for picnics, parties and social gatherings," he said. "People who want to drive drunk will drive drunk anyway."

Leone said he didn't know if there was a standard temperature at which beer is sold, but added that most refrigerators are set in the mid-to-low 40s.

Alter said the student who suggested the legislation would be a witness at the bill's hearing, which hasn't been scheduled.

Last year, a fourth-grade class from Kansas City submitted a proposal to make the American bullfrog the state amphibian. It passed in the final moments of the 2005 legislative session.

Alter said the jump from naming state animals to restricting how alcohol can be purchased didn't really surprise him.

"You never know what's on the mind of young kids - some of them are pretty smart," he said.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:41:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Oh, for Pete's sake...

I don't even know where to start. Fuck it. If the beer is warm, they'll switch to liquor. How do these people get elected? Ugh.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:41:57 PM EDT
[#2]
When they're called "Lawmakers"...........they make laws!.............STUPID laws!!!

And I'll bet that he'll feel better about himself if it passes.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:41:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow....someone wants to make "cold beer" illegal

What a jackass!!!!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:42:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:43:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Oh thank God we're all going to be safe now!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:43:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:44:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:46:54 PM EDT
[#8]

"He said the idea came from a fifth-grade student in Jefferson County who was participating in a program to teach elementary students about state government"

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:47:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Man...that guy's an idiot.  

Politicians shouldn't be permitted to get so bored they begin dreaming up off-the-wall garbage.

He didn't even come up with it himself.  He outsourced his stupid ideas to a bunch of grade school kids.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:47:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I feel safer already
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:47:44 PM EDT
[#11]
cold beer should come out of vending machines like soda!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:48:33 PM EDT
[#12]
does he not realize that some countries, they don't drink cold beer....?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:48:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:49:16 PM EDT
[#14]
God, that sounds like my least favorite city councilman in my town.

In Alaska, alcohol has to be sold in seperate stores, they dont have a booze section like grocery stores do in the states.  Anyway, a gas station chain started opening new stores with a booze section.  This council guy, newly elected, starts demanding that no single-serving beers be sold for the same reasons this Texas a-hole's giving.  He wants to make sure no one opens a beer right after leaving.  As if you'd be less likely to do that if you bought a six pack.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:50:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Brilliant!

Not. What a douchebag.

"Hey parents. Let me suck up to you by getting your kids to do my job for me. I'll let them write the laws, and then I'll take the pay and molest the interns. Thanks MO!"
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:50:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:51:36 PM EDT
[#17]
That Senator should be kicked in the dick.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 12:59:19 PM EDT
[#18]
cold beer is nice but i've been known to drink warm beer as well ya fucking prick.................
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:01:01 PM EDT
[#19]
It's about time.  I've been waiting for something like this for a long time.  Great idea.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:01:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Shit man, back when I lived in Houston they'd give you a little paper bag to act as a disposable coozie for your cold beer you bought as you paid for your gas.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:02:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Will existing cold beer be grandfathered?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:03:34 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Shit man, back when I lived in Houston they'd give you a little paper bag to act as a disposable coozie for your cold beer you bought as you paid for your gas.

and they still are
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:03:54 PM EDT
[#23]
My poor brother, he just moved to St. Louis.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:04:17 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

and they still are

Sweet.  Something never change (and never should).
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:04:26 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

It does in Europe.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:04:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Oklahoma has the same sort of law.

In Oklahoma, "strong beer" is anything with more than 3.2 percent alcohol by weight (4 percent by volume). Liquor stores can only sell it at room temperature, but bars and restaurants can sell it cold.
Brewpubs, gas stations, convenience stores and grocery stores sell cold beer, but it must be 3.2 ABW or less.
As a result, most of the beer sold in Oklahoma is 3.2, and many large breweries, including Anheuser-Busch and Miller, make 3.2 beer for Oklahoma (and Utah).

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:05:45 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

gotta love the drive through liquor stores too, but heres a scenario for everybody to ponder:

beer is stored on the floor of some grocery store, the grocery store is located in one of those far off yankee lands where it actually gets cold.  the heater breaks..................do they have to start a fire in the paper towel aisle to keep the beer above 60 degrees?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:06:10 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Boy that's great.  Beer over 60 deg, gee, that will be great on unpasteurized beers.  Ummmmm.... quality standards going in the toilet.

It's going to be hard to sell Coors in MO.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:08:02 PM EDT
[#29]

said Alter, R-High Ridge. "Plus, I think it's a good idea whether or not other people do."

Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:38:10 PM EDT
[#30]
I heard this last night.

I wonder if Alter owns a foam cooler fab shop and crushed ice concessions.

Yep, warm beer is an enormous obstacle.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:40:14 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

It does in Mexico

ETA after looking back looks like it does in Europe as well
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:42:38 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Oklahoma has the same sort of law.

In Oklahoma, "strong beer" is anything with more than 3.2 percent alcohol by weight (4 percent by volume). Liquor stores can only sell it at room temperature, but bars and restaurants can sell it cold.
Brewpubs, gas stations, convenience stores and grocery stores sell cold beer, but it must be 3.2 ABW or less.
As a result, most of the beer sold in Oklahoma is 3.2, and many large breweries, including Anheuser-Busch and Miller, make 3.2 beer for Oklahoma (and Utah).

Thats why God made TEXAS.....
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:42:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:48:16 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Thats why God made TEXAS.....

You mean Baja, Oklahoma....
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:53:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Better stock up on preban beer now !!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 1:59:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Hey, you can just buy your beer before you get to work and let it sit all day on ice.  That would be a really cool one for the trip home.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:10:22 PM EDT
[#37]
I am sure more people drive drunks from bars and restraunts than convenience stores.  What a prick!  Every two years they pass literally thousands of new laws here in Texas.  With that many new ones every two years they have to be just sitting there dreaming up shit.  Bastards.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:18:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:24:11 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
BAN COLD BEER!!!!

gentelmen the balloon has just gone up.

it's time for an insurection

John has a yellow thermos.

The koozie is against the door.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:31:12 PM EDT
[#40]
That may be ok in Germany but not in America
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:37:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Cold, warm, no problem here.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:39:55 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Will existing cold beer be grandfathered?

lmfao preban high capacity full case of cold beer $1500 plus S&H all federal laws apply
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:42:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:44:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Being from Missouri and thinking this was a waste of my tax dollars I decided to write him.  Here it is.   Slight editing to take out my personal info.

Hello Senator Alter,
My name is AMK,  I live at xxxxxx. I am new to Missouri and not fully up to date on the laws so please forgive any missinterpretations I might make of Missouri Law.  I would also like to state that I drink maybe two beers a week.
I recently read that you were introducing a bill that would rescind a stores liquor license if they were to sell beer colder than 60 degrees.  I understand your thinking is that it will reduce the chances of someone popping one open immediatelly upon purchase and therefore would reduce drunk driving.  
I applaud your effort but I feel that it will do very little do reduce drunk driving.  Someone who is going to purchase a beer and drink it in the car is not going to care too much if it is 40 degrees or 60 degrees.  Also, as I hope you know, someone does not become immediatelly drunk upon drinking a beer.  It takes time for the alcohol to enter the blood stream and even more time for enough alcohol to enter the system to become LEGALLY intoxicated.  In fact I can have three shots of liquor in a row and still not be legally intoxicated for up to 30 minutes after the drinks!  So someone popping a roadie for the ride home will probably not be drunk by the time you get there.  I think your efforts, your time, and the tax payers money, would be better spent finding ways to increase the penalty on open container and drunk driving laws, finding a way to prevent people who are already intoxicated from purchasing alcohol at grocery and convenience stores (I feel these are the people who would most likely have a "roadie"), and helping find funds for more police officers.
I would also like to point out that SEVERE costs would be put on your voters some of whom I am sure are store owners to reconfigure the fridge/freezer in their store.  Many convenience stores have one large open fridge for soft drinks, alcohol, juice, and sport drinks and having to divide that would be a significant cost.

Once again I support your desire to help reduce drunk driving, I just think you can go about it in more effective ways.

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me.  I have included my phone number and email address.

Thank you,
AMK
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 2:55:06 PM EDT
[#45]
When we were stationed in Berlin we had beer vending machines right next to our soda machines.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:00:36 PM EDT
[#46]
Here it comes guys!  The Revolution!  The RKBA couldn't unite enough of us to make a stand, but now, now the bastards are going after our cold beer!  If there is anytime to "vote frfom the rooftops", that time is NOW!
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:08:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Who says we need to keep inventing new laws? oh the people paid to do so.

How about they pass a law making it illegal to pass any new laws.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:11:21 PM EDT
[#48]
and spend more time repealing the bullshit that they have been coming up with for the past 230 years.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:14:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Probably ownes stock in an ice company or is on their payroll. What a dipshit.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 3:16:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Makes just as much sense as CA's 10-day waiting period.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top