Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2005 6:16:12 PM EDT
Monday September 12, 2005 10:03pm
HOUSTON (AP) - Six Flags Inc. was due to close its Six Flags AstroWorld theme park at the end of the year and had been looking for a buyer for the 109-acre site that sits near Reliant Park, Houston's entertainment district and Texas Medical Center. The theme park company said it expects the property will yield a good price and the money from the sale of the 37-year-old park would be used to reduce debt and for general corporate purposes. Though the sale must be approved by Six Flags' bank lenders, a last minute bidder has entered the fray and appears poised to save the park.

Kieran Burke, chairman and CEO of Six Flags, said the company decided the best way to enhance shareholder value was to sell the theme park because of the significant increase in real estate values in the Houston market.

"While we continually review our properties in order to determine the best allocation of resources, it is important to note that a unique set of circumstances applies to the AstroWorld property and this action should not be considered indicative of our intentions for any of our other parks," Burke said in a release.

No details are available about the new buyer or plans for the park after the sale.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:19:53 PM EDT
[#1]
... Is it you?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:56:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Nope!  It's Cartman!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:02:49 AM EDT
[#3]
It's....................

LOOTERWORLD!!

Brought to you by the fine folks at FEMA
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:04:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Why would anyone care about that dump?  Overpriced, hot as fu**, overpriced, in disrepair, overpriced...
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:18:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Let it close.  It's become nothing but a magnet for thugs and trash.  Fuck Six Flags.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:19:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I'll give you a plastic tub full of Heineken for it!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:21:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Whatever company it is that owns Worlds of ScumFun Will probably end up buying it.

IIRC, they're based in Ohio somewhere (Sandusky seems to stick in my head, but I'm probably wrong), and (at the time I worked for 'em, anyway) owned 6 other parks.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:27:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Let it close.  It's become nothing but a magnet for thugs and trash.  Fuck Six Flags.

Yeah its s shame that it ended up like that.  
I remember back when I was a youth it was nice and pretty fun to go to.  
That of course was before gang-signs and bathroom rapes.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:36:32 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I remember last Halloween when they had major gansta problems there.  Recently there have been news stories of massed thuggery leaving the park and bum rushing area service stations.  Stealing crap, starting fights and getting away with it because of the large number of people involved.  I hope Astroworld goes away just so long as another Wal Mart is not built there.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:42:05 AM EDT
[#10]
My last trip there was around 1984.

I remember it well. Approx. 2100 hrs., sweet little Karen and I decided to take the cable car back to the other side of the park instead of walkng. Imagine my surprise when she unbuttoned her tight red short shorts, smiled and said "you have until the car gets to the other side".  

You can figger' out the rest.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:55:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I remember last Halloween when they had major gansta problems there.  Recently there have been news stories of massed thuggery leaving the park and bum rushing area service stations.  Stealing crap, starting fights and getting away with it because of the large number of people involved.  I hope Astroworld goes away just so long as another Wal Mart is not built there.

Yep, the black and mexican kids are mobbing the area businesses that border Astrowold. They go to the park, then they loot and steal. Sounds like Astroworld management isn't taking action to get rid off the riff-raff so they deserve to go out of business.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:10:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I remember it well. Approx. 2100 hrs., sweet little Karen and I decided to take the cable car back to the other side of the park instead of walkng. Imagine my surprise when she unbuttoned her tight red short shorts, smiled and said "you have until the car gets to the other side".  

I think you should tell for the sake of those of us who aren't good at "figuring" stuff out
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:07:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:02:03 AM EDT
[#14]
HEY! It was my fondest memory of the place.

Give an old man trying to reclaim his youth a break.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top