Air Force Atlantic.

The Checkmates briefly flew the F-14Bs from 1989 to 1992, but then went back
the As, Maus said.

According to Maus, the Checkmates made their last deployment with the F-14As
in September 2002 aboard the carrier Enterprise in support of operations
Enduring and Iraqi Freedom.

Once the venerable Tomcats are retired, the squadron will transition to the
F/A-18F, Maus said.

The Navy plans to retire all Tomcats from the fleet by 2006.

http://www.navytimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-340802.php
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:03:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey KA3B,

I got selected for strike, I'll be flying the T-45C in a few months (pipeline is all backed up)
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:03:29 PM EDT
[#2]
She sure is beautiful, ain't she?

It must have been nice to be king.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:11:29 PM EDT
[#3]
So are you going F-18's or F-18's...
Staying in Florida?

Quoted:
Hey KA3B,

I got selected for strike, I'll be flying the T-45C in a few months (pipeline is all backed up)

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:22:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Well sorry to see it go, but fighter aircraft are like computers, they do become obsolete over time. This plane is unique in my mind because it was the star of the 1986 movie Top Gun. It put Tom Cruise, Anthony Edward, Tom Skerritt, Val Kilmer, & Kelly McGillis on the acting map.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:24:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Well sorry to see it go, but fighter aircraft are like computers, they do become obsolete over time. This plane is unique in my mind because it was the star of the 1986 movie Top Gun. It put Tom Cruise, Anthony Edward, Tom Skerritt, Val Kilmer, & Kelly McGillis on the acting map.

Didn't Tom Cruise get on the acting map by dancing in his underwear in Risky Business?

No wait, I didn't say that !!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:25:47 PM EDT
[#6]
"Reach out and TOUCH someone"

Amazing how long they've served. think of ALL the actions these a/c have seen.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:27:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Staying in Florida?

Haha I know, our only choices now are Hornet, Super Hornet, or Prowler.

Nope, I'll be going to NAS Meridian in Mississippi.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:31:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Staying in Florida?

Haha I know, our only choices now are Hornet, Super Hornet, or Prowler.

Nope, I'll be going to NAS Meridian in Mississippi.

Welcome to MS !

I hate to see those birds go ....
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:39:17 PM EDT
[#9]
So, about how long are the F-14C/D "Bombcats" going to be around for? I would presume that the F-18E/F will eventuall take over their role as well. What will the JSF replace or augment?
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:42:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I grew up with those things roaring overhead from Oceana.  <sniff>  I will miss them.  Other than the F-4 Phantom, those were my favorite.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 1:44:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
So, about how long are the F-14C/D "Bombcats" going to be around for? I would presume that the F-18E/F will eventuall take over their role as well. What will the JSF replace or augment?

F/A-18E/F are replaceing the Tomcats, all Tomcats. The JSF will replace the F/A-18C.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:44:43 PM EDT
[#12]
My great uncle worked for Grumman as an engineer and worked on the Tomcat. My grandmother has his F-14 mug, and I've got the patch. We consider the plane family.

It's gonna be sad to watch them go. I need to win the lottery to buy a Senator, push a bill, and get one sold to me (somebody did this with an F-4).

Or they need to scrap that stupid "no planes for civilians" rule. My nephew can see a B-17 fly, but soon won't be able to see the plane his great-great uncle helped build.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:47:16 PM EDT
[#13]
2006, as stated in the article....

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:50:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
2006, as stated in the article....

KA3B ---> <-- dzlbenz

I must have read that about 6 times, and never saw it until now. Derrrrrrr...
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 2:51:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I got an update from a friend....

I was informed their F-14As will be handed over to SARDIP, at Oceana.  
They are not being flown to DM.  
That would be a waste of $$$.  
Yet, that is nothing new to the DOD.  
The Sunday, 12 September flight is just a ceremonial flight.
Upon landing, the keys to the Tomcat are to be turned over to SARDIP.  
They will probably languish at the SARDIP hangar for months just like the VF-154 Turkeys did.  
Tomcats Forever...Bugs Never,
Dave

SARDIP - Stricken Aircraft Reclamation and Disposal Program

The   SARDIP   is   the   reclamation   of   required components   from   excess/obsolete   aircraft.   The SARDIP  applies  to  the  following  specific  aircraft conditions:

1.  Operable aircraft stricken from the operating inventory and designated by the CNO for reclamation.
These aircraft are generally stored and reclaimed at AMARC.  
Other   reclamation   activities   may   be designated by Naval Air Systems Command.

2.  Crash/battle  damaged  aircraft  that  are  not operable and which are stricken by CNO and reclaimed on  site.

The  NAVAIRSYSCOM  assigns  the  SARDIP designators to both types of aircraft mentioned above.

Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:05:59 PM EDT
[#16]
I worked on a bunch of the block 125's maybe even that one. To old to remember all the BuNo's.
Only one I remember is 161613. I signed the "A" sheet, certifying safe of flight, the pilot put it on the round down of the Connie. Long couple of hours at Miramar til word was passed that crew was safe.
Sad to see them go. F18 = Toy Fighters!
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 3:11:28 PM EDT
[#17]
could someone tell me what is going to replace the long range missile capability of the Tomcat?

Or is that not as big a worry in this day and age.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top