Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/11/2005 7:48:12 AM EDT
Motorola cellphone with usb cable and software. Can a cellphone be used to dialup an ISP and work as a modem? I can accept dialup speeds and wish to surf w/o using either business phone lines or company broadband. Random people claim this can be done but don't have details.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:52:38 AM EDT
Don't know about USB, but I used to hook my Startac up with a serial cable. Now I can get dial up with Bluetooth compatible computer and cell phone.

You just have to set up the dialing properties in IE or whatever your using.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:56:30 AM EDT
yes, it can be done, but its slow. In most cases, its slower than regular dial-up. If your phone has GPRS, you can just hook your laptop to your phone and surf through your phones internet connection. Its a little faster than the other, but still slow.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:02:57 PM EDT
I used my old Sprint phone via USB to connect to their Vision "ISP" and it worked pretty well, and fairly fast.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:05:53 PM EDT
Cellphone data plan..... bluetooth cellphone...... bluetooth laptop..... 115-130K download speeds. Not great for multimedia but fine for surfing and checking email and what not. Just no streaming anything.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:45:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By RichardCranium033:
yes, it can be done, but its slow. In most cases, its slower than regular dial-up. If your phone has GPRS, you can just hook your laptop to your phone and surf through your phones internet connection. Its a little faster than the other, but still slow.

+1
Top Top