Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/14/2006 3:25:53 PM EDT
I have a dell Inspiron 8100 laptop.  The screen is showing signs of imminent doom (confirmed by Dell tech support).  It's not real bad now, but I expect it to get worse.  I found a replacement screen on Ebay for $200.  The screen is just that:  a screen.  No housing, no power supply.  Just the screen with a power connector (judging by the picture).    I don't need, or want a new computer and buying one would cut into the gun stuff fund.

How difficult is it to replace one of these?

If anyone cares:  The symptoms of imminent doom are that the screen has a pink tint when powering on which goes away after about 30 seconds except for a slight pink tint right around the start button that never goes away, and a small shadow at the bottom right below the left end of the taskbar.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:29:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Might stay that way for a long time. If portability is not an issue do you have VGA out. Just hook up a monitor if it does go. Then dcide if its worth replacing.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:33:29 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Might stay that way for a long time. If portability is not an issue do you have VGA out. Just hook up a monitor if it does go. Then dcide if its worth replacing.

That's what I was planning.  Use it until I can't stand it any longer, then think about replacing the screen.  

Really my question concerns the difficulty of actually replacing the screen.  PITA factor, tools needed, ie. Special funny looking proprietary screwdrivers, soldering iron, etc...
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:42:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Most likely it's just connectors( more than 1 connector). Probably need small screw drivers. It's been awhile since I've dug into a laptop.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:42:42 PM EDT
[#4]
It's fairly simple, I think Dell uses phillips screws and there's no soldering required, the monitor has a small plug or ribbon connector that you just  plug in.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 4:23:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It's fairly simple, I think Dell uses phillips screws and there's no soldering required, the monitor has a small plug or ribbon connector that you just  plug in.

That's what I've heard to. That's the cool thing about Dell's. They are made for fast screen replacements.

Do a Google search. I'm sure someone already has step by step on some website.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top