Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2004 4:35:58 PM EDT
Need a Laptop with wireless networking/ internet.

Do all Centrinos have that ability? Or??

Who makes a decent unit.

What else do I need??

Got $2500.00 budget.

Thanks.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:31:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Help, Please!?!

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:40:36 PM EDT
[#2]
What exactly is that you want to know?

Centrino is just Intel's brand name for the laptop-type processors.  Nothing to do with wireless networking.

Most laptops I've looked at over the last few months have come with an integrated 802.11g wireless card.  That's all you really need.  Well that and a wireless access point.

If you're connecting to a pre-existing network, check on the operating systems for compatibility.  We've had a lot of problems at work going between a machine running XP Pro and a machine running XP Home.

I'm no expert and this shouldn't be taken as rock-hard advice.  Just stuff I've picked up working with the infernal machines on an informal basis over the last few months.

For $2500, you can get a pretty fucking sweet setup.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:42:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a Vaio with built in networking.  it cost about 1800.  the internal card isnt supported by my school though, so I had to buy an external anyway.  I have personally had a lot of problems with wireless technology, I assume because it is still relatively new, and we are still getting the kinks out.  It is nice when it works (campus is kinda iffy on service).  

IM me if ya got any specific ?s, i have seen all the problems (yeah, right).  

Edit:  I got a linksys wireless router at home, works pretty well all througout the house and outside.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:44:40 PM EDT
[#4]
All Centrino notebooks have built in wireless it's part of the Intel marketing.

Assuming you have high speed internet, you will also need a wireless router. I'd reommend a Linksys WRT54G. You can get it just about anywhere.

As for brands of laptops, I'd recommend a Dell with a 3 year full replacement warranty.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:53:32 PM EDT
[#5]
It's gonna be used at a School that does everything wireless.

So should I check to see about compatability?  Software?

What questions should I ask?

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:55:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Semper Fi

What type of wireless network are they operating.  What type of cards are compatible with the network.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 7:58:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Semper Fi

What type of wireless network are they operating.  What type of cards are compatible with the network.

Thanks!

Semper Fi
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top