Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2014 11:10:29 AM EDT
I've been a LL for about 18 months.  Pretty smooth so far.  I have six apartments.  Just completed my first eviction after he failed to pay his rent two months in a row, and started avoiding me.

Anyway, I was awarded a judgement in court.  Tenant failed to show for any of the hearings (3 total).  He was evicted after the first.  The last hearing, the Sheriff was unable to serve him.  They tried by mail, but no forwarding address.  Now, apparently, the onus is on me to provide more information for them to serve him.

I'm technically savvy, but haven't been able to find anything online yet.  He was renting there before I purchased the building, so I don't have a ton of info on him.  (From the lease I have his Social)  He lost his job, so that's a dead end.

Any pointers appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 11:14:08 AM EDT
[#1]
facebook

make a fake account as a hot chick and friend him

get his address

not kidding I have had friends get success from this on collecting debts

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 11:15:32 AM EDT
[#2]
fpni
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 11:17:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Is he out and you can re-rent the apartment?
Might as well write it off and move on then.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 11:21:22 AM EDT
[#4]
He doesn't seem to have a FB account.  But I love the idea.

I use FB to help qualify or dis-qualify renters.  It's amazing what people are willing to post about themselves.  They also don't think to make sure the lies on their applications match up with their FB accounts.  Don't tell me you work at company X, and then post on FB that you work at company Y.  Don't put down you a name as your landlord, who happens to be your mother, and then have FB posts detailing all your moves.  Don't say you never do drugs and then have your favorite book be "Marijuana is Better".  Crazy.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 11:22:31 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, he's out, and it's already rented. But he owes me quite a bit. I'd like to collect.

Edit: Dang, wasted post 556 on this.  Was planning to use it differently.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 11:23:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Is his stuff still in the apartment or is it vacated?

If not, get a big dumpster, some beer and a couple of friends.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 11:32:58 AM EDT
[#7]
if he is out then the most you will get is a judgement against him correct? how does finding him make him pay if he refuses?
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 11:48:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

if he is out then the most you will get is a judgement against him correct? how does finding him make him pay if he refuses?
View Quote

"Defendant is ordered to appear in Superior Court on _________ and give testimoney regarding assests and to make arrangements to pay this judgement.  Failure to appear may result in contempt of court."

The judge told me if I needed to provide an address for the Sheriff to serve him, since they couldn't find him, otherwise I'm out of luck.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 11:50:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

"Defendant is ordered to appear in Superior Court on _________ and give testimoney regarding assests and to make arrangements to pay this judgement.  Failure to appear may result in contempt of court."

The judge told me if I needed to provide an address for the Sheriff to serve him, since they couldn't find him, otherwise I'm out of luck.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck. You should have asked the judge how often he hands down that contempt of court charge for renters not showing.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 11:58:18 AM EDT
[#10]
I wish you luck too as you spend tons of money and time looking for this DB! YOU do all the leg work. Have you ever heard the term, can't get blood from a turnip?

Why don't people check renters out BEFORE you rent to them? Get this information and check it out BEFORE??? Never have understood this with bitching landlords. Sorry dude not much for ya!

They provide information that is actually verified and a background check or 'you no renty!'

Heres a secret brother. YOU WILL NEVER SEE THAT MONEY EVER!
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 12:03:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. I assume your time is worth something and spending the time it will probably take to find him, you'll be out of even more money. Also, just because you find him doesn't mean you will ever see a dime. Unless he has some assets or you can get his pay garnished, assuming he has a job, you are probably throwing more money after bad trying to get this guy.

The one way you might get at least something is to sell the judgement to a collection agency. You will probably only get 10-20 cents on the dollar for it, but that's more than you have now.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 12:06:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I wish you luck too as you spend tons of money and time looking for this DB! YOU do all the leg work. Have you ever heard the term, can't get blood from a turnip?

Why don't people check renters out BEFORE you rent to them? Get this information and check it out BEFORE??? Never have understood this with bitching landlords. Sorry dude not much for ya!

They provide information that is actually verified and a background check or 'you no renty!'

View Quote

Reading is pretty fundamental, he stated the tenant was residing in the apartment before he became landlord.

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#13]
My lawyer that did evictions for me always wanted to pursue judgments and garnish wages.
I just paid  for evictions nothing more. Always thought the lawyer needed a new boat payment or golf dues.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 12:12:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

I guess you missed the part in the OP where he was already living there when I bought the building.  I run background checks and credit reports on new renters, as well as checking any other public information I can. (sex offender registry, Facebook)

I didn't have much expectation of collecting, but thought I might get some ideas here.  Not planning on spending any money though.

Thanks for you help.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 12:13:36 PM EDT
[#15]
As a general rule most folks who skip like that are going to be a 'getting blood from a stone' situation.

I feel your pain though.   The only person I have actually had to take all the way to court to get out was one I inherited with the building at the time of purchase.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 12:14:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Been in the business for 25 years now and carry multiple certifications from the National Apartment Association and the Institute of Real Estate Management

Turn the account over to a collection agency and move on with your business.  IF (and that's a big IF) they collect they get around 45% of what is collected.  If not they will ensure that the account is properly placed on your tenants credit report.  

Note, since you received a money judgement, that judgement is already on his credit.  IF any money is collected you need to make sure to report it to the courthouse where your Complaint in Summary Ejectment was filed.  

Sorry, wish I had better news for you.  Welcome to property management.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 12:22:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Try his family/friends...you'll have to come up with a cover story though (old friend trying to get in touch, etc.)

Also, depending on your state's law, at a certain point after you've made a diligent effort (say like 3 different methods/attempts) to serve the defendant, the judge may allow you to do service by publication (i.e. putting a notice in the paper).

Honestly, though, unless your rent is quite high, I don't see it as worthwhile for only 2 months of rent (isn't your security deposit covering one month?).

If you can get in touch with the guy and offer to compromise (he'll pay a lesser amount) that may be advantageous so that neither you nor he will have to go through the whole asset / wage garnishment thing.

Also, for the future, check if your state has provisions for "distress for rent", which would allow you seize the tenant's property on the premises and sell it for unpaid rent under court order.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 12:23:34 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Yes, he's out, and it's already rented. But he owes me quite a bit. I'd like to collect.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Move on.  You won't collect.  

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 12:30:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
facebook
get his address

View Quote

This.  My mom was a social worker and did this all the time to catch runaways.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 12:36:00 PM EDT
[#20]
I am a landlord for many apartments as well. The chance of you getting any money after a judgement is just about ZERO! Unless you want to make it a part time job, just add the experience to your life resume.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 12:45:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
facebook
get his address

Pics of Mom?

Eta . Or runaways.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 1:43:48 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Pics of Mom?

Eta . Or runaways.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

facebook

get his address

Pics of Mom?

Eta . Or runaways.

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 1:52:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Post his personal info in GD and we can ridicule him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top