Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2006 1:08:07 PM EDT
I have never had a cell phone and have always been satisfied with a land line.  I don't really need the "convience" of a cellular telephone.

I'll soon be moving to a new apartment and someone said why not just get a cell phone and not even have a land line, because its probably cheaper.  Is that true, can you get a cell phone and a contract and all that BS and it be cheaper than an old fashioned land line?

So, does anyone here only have a cell?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:10:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Best to check the cellular coverage in the area where you are moving.  There are some places that no carriers cover very well.

Ask folks in the area who have different carriers.

Personally, I like having the landline, just in case, so to speak.  You never know.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:14:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't had a land line in 2 years and don't miss it at all.  My wife and I have our own cell phones through sprint which gives us 2000 anytime minutes and unlimited night and weekend and free long distance.  We pay 98 per month after all taxes.  I know you can get a land line for a lot cheaper than that but we have a ton of minutes and can take our phones with us.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:14:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Cell
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:15:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Get a cell and have the land line phone plugged in. You can still dial 911 if you have to, even with no service. It's federal law.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:17:06 PM EDT
[#5]
i havent had a landline in 5 years..

cellphone only
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:18:28 PM EDT
[#6]
It all depends on YOUR useage, it works out for me just using a cell phone
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:21:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I have both. For business purposes a LAND LINE IS THE ONLY WAY TO GO!!!
Cell phone service sucks. The voice quality is still bullshit. The only reason I have one is so people can reach me away from home/office.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:24:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:28:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't like cellphones, but thats all I have now. No home phone/land line for 3 years now.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:31:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I pay $55.00 mo for unlimited calls and long distance thru Sprint.  Their coverage isn't the best in this area, but I like the convience of having a phone all the time.  It turned out to be cheaper than having a landline for me in this area.  With the money I save,(I need a cell for job requirements) i got cable internet instead. $19.95 mo special promption.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:37:36 PM EDT
[#11]
My cell service works well enough for what I use it for. My out of state family members are with the same carrier, so LD is free.

The only reason I have a landline is because my TiVo needs one (you'd think they could put an ethernet port on the unit so it could use broadband ).

I just ordered landline service for my TiVo (the phone was in my wife's name and she's gone now). My package that was $25.99/mo suddenly ended up being $36.98/mo with all the taxes and BS added onto it. I think I'm going to call tomorrow and have them change it to the stripped-down barebones service.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:05:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:09:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
i havent had a landline in 5 years..

cellphone only

Almost 6 years for me. I dont miss the old land line.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:16:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I have not had a physical land line phone in almost 8 years.

One thing to consider is if most of the people you call or that call you call from cellular phones
If they do most of the time long distance phone to phone does not exist if the same cell company.
Also there is the conveinence of having my home phone number with me when traveling.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:20:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I have not had a land line since 1998, cell phones are the way to go.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:21:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:22:17 PM EDT
[#17]
cellphone only X 6 yrs......
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:11:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Cell phone, with a a landline you'll be paying $12 extra bullshit Gore taxes plus the 100 year old tax that was imposed to finance the Spanish American war.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:23:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I was you a week ago.

I don't talk on the phone to hardly anyone except maybe family.  Even then it is limited.  I moved into my apartment this past weekend.  My father and I decided to get some cell phones rather than a land line.

We did the cingular route, but other companies may be better in your AO.  We did the family plan which is free when talking to other cingular customers and costs only an extra ten bucks to add a phone.  We also did a push to talk feature which is twenty bucks a month.

We got the cheapest 500 minute a month plan, but it has roll over, and free to talk to cingular customers (even on push to talk), so each month it is only ~70 bucks for two phones.  We could add another phone for an extra ten bucks per phone, no extra charges for an additional phone on push to talk.

We got the samsung phones with the push to talk feature, nothing like text messaging etc.

I thing we got a good deal for what we need.  The push to talk is the shit IMO.  Maybe its old FTX days but I like the radio type comms rather than phone.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:27:00 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

The only reason I have a landline is because my TiVo needs one (you'd think they could put an ethernet port on the unit so it could use broadband ).

Yes they did, if you haver a series 2 Tivo, been around forever.  Tivo has a USB adapter so eithe rplug in something like a Linksys wireless adapter or an ethernet to USB adapter.

Works great -and the only way you can get the Yahoo video and audip podcasts.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:29:07 PM EDT
[#21]
C'mon, get Both!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:39:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
My cell phone is so old, teenagers look at me like I'm using a Morse Telegraph.  

If its a Nokia 5100 series, stick with it as long as you can.  I would give up my motorola in a heartbeat if I could for that phone.  It may be a brick, but its nearly indestructible.

I have never had a landline (parents did though).  I have had a cell since I was 17 (paid for by me) and currently have a 600min National plan.  All my family have cellphones, so we all get unlimited cell-to-cell.  I have had the plan for about 9 months, and have about 3600 rollover minutes.  No need for a landline.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:45:42 PM EDT
[#23]
I like having only a cell for the same reasons mentioned above -- having your home phone with you all the time and no solicitations. The only thing that concerns me is if the SHTF, the cells get clogged and you can't make or receive any calls. This happened on 9/11/01.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:59:40 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't care to have a phone with me all the time.

I don't travel a lot.

I don't make long distance calls.

I don't run or own a business.

But it sounds like I might still be better off/cheaper to get a cell phone.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:02:00 PM EDT
[#25]
I only have a cell phone and have been that way for 3 years....My network, phone, service plan is perfect for me.

operator out....
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:18:29 PM EDT
[#26]
How are you guys on the internet? cable?

In any case, landline is going to have a much better chance of being there in a SHTF scenario.  Not guaranteed but better than cell.  Landline can run with no power, cell sites are going to run out of generator.

Cells have to give 911 landlines don't.  You go to an unused phone line and plug a phone in, what happens?  no dial tone no 911.  In many areas they disconnect at central offices.  Leaving your phone line connected for 911 ties up mucho assets.

I happen to prefer landline because I use dsl, and when I'm away from the house, I don't want people calling me.  That may change, but I haven't found any great overiding need to have my phone follow me around.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:26:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Well during the last hurricane in October our landline went down too.  We got cell back (on one carrier) before we got landline.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:35:45 AM EDT
[#28]
I got rid of my land line two years ago and never looked back.  Three or four long distance calls a month to family makes it cheaper.

I will probably never have a land line again.  
-It's not as prevalent now that telemarketing laws are in place, but no sales calls.  
-I can turn it off.  How many of you will go around to all your home phones and turn the ringer off if you don't want to be disturbed?
-Most cell phones have tracers built into them.  It is not as fast as 911 tracing your call, granted.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:43:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Both
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:47:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Once you go cell, you won't go back to a land line. With the possible exception that you need a fax machine or to go online.

With a cell phone, most packages include long distance... which means you'll never pay another long distance phone bill again!!

Now, if I could get a cell phone cable that would work with a fax machine......
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:50:39 AM EDT
[#31]
Do you have cable or DSL internet?

Get Vonage VoIP... 25 bucks a month, unlimited calls to anywhere is the U.S., Canada, and Puerto Rico...

Here in South Korea, I have a NJ telephone number...

You cannot tell the difference in voice quality...

Had a cellphone exclusively back in the states....it was much cheaper than a landline...considering that voice messaging, caller ID and call waiting is all roled into the deal...
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:53:27 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes they did, if you haver a series 2 Tivo, been around forever.  Tivo has a USB adapter so eithe rplug in something like a Linksys wireless adapter or an ethernet to USB adapter.

Works great -and the only way you can get the Yahoo video and audip podcasts.

MOTHERFUCKER.

I'm cancelling the landline service I just ordered. My receiver is less than a year old so it should be series 2.

It's a DirecTiVo though, that won't make a difference, will it?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:01:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:54:57 PM EDT
[#34]
I got rid of my home phone service over a year ago.  I can only talk on one phone at a time, so I figured why have two phone lines.  I saved about $45/month doing it.  It's nice not to get any telemarketer calls.  The only people that call me now are people that I want to talk to.  I pay about $100/month for 800 minutes, mobile web, unlimted text and picture messaging, thousands of night and weekend minutes, and there are some other free features that I don't really use.  

I can't see me ever having a home phone again.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:30:26 PM EDT
[#35]

IBTP

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:37:50 PM EDT
[#36]
I have not had a land line in eight years and I don't see the need to ever get one again.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 3:55:01 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

MOTHERFUCKER.

I'm cancelling the landline service I just ordered. My receiver is less than a year old so it should be series 2.

It's a DirecTiVo though, that won't make a difference, will it?

Not sure, check out this

I already get RocketBoom to my Tivo over Broadband - obviously this isn't a one off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top