Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2009 12:26:38 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:41:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Whenever I go to any sort of house warming, bridal shower, baby shower, wedding or what-not, I always look to see if they are registered somewhere. Then I buy what I can afford off the list. If they aren't registered somewhere, I ask them if there is anything they are in need of and I do what I can to get that for them. I am a stingy person when it comes to money, but I do like to give a gift that shows that person that I appreciate them. Another thing to think about is: does the couple want gifts? One of the new-fangled ideas I have heard of is the couples have started asking for donations to be given to charities or they prefer just getting the cash to help pay for their honeymoon. I personally think that is in bad taste, but if you would rather give them cash, anything more than $50-75 is too much IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:47:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Whenever I go to any sort of house warming, bridal shower, baby shower, wedding or what-not, I always look to see if they are registered somewhere. Then I buy what I can afford off the list. If they aren't registered somewhere, I ask them if there is anything they are in need of and I do what I can to get that for them. I am a stingy person when it comes to money, but I do like to give a gift that shows that person that I appreciate them. Another thing to think about is: does the couple want gifts? One of the new-fangled ideas I have heard of is the couples have started asking for donations to be given to charities or they prefer just getting the cash to help pay for their honeymoon. I personally think that is in bad taste, but if you would rather give them cash, anything more than $50-75 is too much IMHO.

-not a woman but saw the post and agree with the above. That or something dual, like small gym around there get a one month pass (20-30 bucks), or go in with another employee and get a gift cert to a nice place to eat. Just my $.02
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:50:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Also I want to add that most couples factor in that everyone can't afford everything so they make a range of items on their registry lists that allow for people with smaller budgets to be able to afford to get them something while those that can afford the pricier gifts have more expensive gifts to choose from.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:57:07 PM EDT
[#4]
How much we give has gone up as our income has gone up. It also depends if I am actually friends with the bride and groom involved and am not just being polite.

I would say $20 is the  starting point and could easily go up to $100+. Staying within my budget is as important to me as how much they are spending per person.

YMMV
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top