Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2004 8:56:42 AM EDT
I know it's small thing but it really gets to me after awhile when people don't know how to properly ride in an elevator. I know I'll get harrassed for saying this but I've noticed that up in PA where I went to school it was far worse than in Louisiana. The funny thing is, it seemed grown adults were even worse offenders than college kids. How hard is it to ask someone what floor they want when you're in a crowded elevator and you're the guy next to the buttons? I love it when people just let the door shut when it is obvious someone is trying to catch the elevator. My biggest problem is people who fail to let others off the elevator before they try to get on. I was taught and figured out on my own, the proper way. This post is kind of anal, i know.

PS: I also hate those assholes who let one rip in the elevator, wtf!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:59:46 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I know it's small thing but it really gets to me after awhile when people don't know how to properly ride in an elevator. I know I'll get harrassed for saying this but I've noticed that up in PA where I went to school it was far worse than in Louisiana. The funny thing is, it seemed grown adults were even worse offenders than college kids. How hard is it to ask someone what floor they want when you're in a crowded elevator and you're the guy next to the buttons? I love it when people just let the door shut when it is obvious someone is trying to catch the elevator. My biggest problem is people who fail to let others off the elevator before they try to get on. I was taught and figured out on my own, the proper way. This post is kind of anal, i know.

By the title I thought maybe someone broke wind on you while traveling between floors.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:01:07 AM EDT
[#2]
i gotta keep going. I mean for christ sake it is such a simple device that everyone uses countless times throughout their life. Another thing is when the door opens and a would be rider asks "going up?". That's what the f-ing arrow is for!
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:02:21 AM EDT
[#3]
The only thing that gets me is people who start coughing and sneezing without at least trying to cover the mouth.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:03:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Dont talk in elevators.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:03:52 AM EDT
[#5]
It's just common courtesy. If I'm not the guy by the buttons I say "5, please" or whatever.

The courtesy thing goes way past elevators though. I hate holding a door open for someone that just walks through without saying "thanks". It takes so little time and frankly, when you're dealing with strangers, it's your only contact with the person. Let it be a good one.

Let's not even get into driving or telephone etiquette.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:04:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I like the people who are going to get off on the next floor who go to the back of the elevator, and then everyone has to move for them 30 seconds later.

BTW, you always cut the cheese as you are leaving the elevator on your floor.  Not that I've ever done that.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:08:22 AM EDT
[#7]
people that use a crowded elevator to go up one floor have problems too.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:09:33 AM EDT
[#8]
What kills me is the people who have to enter the elevator the moment the door opens.  Fer kreis sakes let us get off before you try to enter.  Now I just stand in the middle of the doorway before the door open.  You aren't coming on until I get out.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:11:35 AM EDT
[#9]
My personal favorite is the morons trying to get on, who block the elevator so you cannot get off. So there is a stalemate until they figure out they need to move so you can get off, before they can get on.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:11:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
What kills me is the people who have to enter the elevator the moment the door opens.  Fer kreis sakes let us get off before you try to enter.  Now I just stand in the middle of the doorway before the door open.  You aren't coming on until I get out.

The same thing is true of public transport. I hate when I'm trying to get off a bus and the morons waiting at the stop are already up the stairs trying to hand the driver their fare.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:12:53 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

MMMMMM Taco Bell for lunch today, huh?
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:14:07 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
My personal favorite is the morons trying to get on, who block the elevator so you cannot get off. So there is a stalemate until they figure out they need to move so you can get off, before they can get on.

what's the consensus on where to move when walking in a hallway with someone else? I almost always go right, i think cuz I drive on the right side of the road, makes sense. I hate it when I go right and so does the other person and you know the rest. Makes for a weird situation. Maybe next time I'll just put a spin move the person.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:15:56 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

+1

I worked in a 31 story building and this happened all the damned time.  The other thing was that there was a company that had 6 consecutive floors.  This company even modified the floors so that they would connect with internal stairs.  Did they use them?  No fucking way!  They had to stop the elevator to get their fat asses on just to go up or down one lousy floor.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:16:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:19:19 AM EDT
[#15]
I grew up in a small town in Ohio and had only ridden elevators during occasional trips to the Big City of Wheeling, so I knew nothing of elevator etiquette.  It wasn't until I moved to Chicago and went to work in the Board of Options Exchange building downtown, riding very busy elevators everyday, that I understood and appreciated it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:21:33 AM EDT
[#16]
I hate elevators.  When I worked at a hospital we had to take an elevator safety course because what happened to this man.  It made me realize how much more I hated elevators.

HOUSTON, Texas (AP) -- A surgical resident was killed when an elevator malfunctioned and decapitated him, authorities said.

Hitoshi Nikaidoh, 35, was stepping into a second-floor elevator at Christus St. Joseph Hospital Saturday morning when the doors suddenly closed, pinning his shoulders. His head was severed when the elevator car moved upward.

A hospital employee witnessed the accident and spent about 20 minutes trapped inside the elevator before firefighters rescued her. She was treated for shock in the hospital's emergency room, hospital spokeswoman India Chumney Hancock said.

Harris County medical examiners were conducting an inquiry into the accident. Police said earlier that maintenance crews had worked on the elevators during the week.

The entire elevator bank was pulled from operation until the investigation is complete.

Nikaidoh graduated in 2003 from the University of Texas-Houston Medical School.

Elevators and escalators kill about 30 and injure about 17,100 people each year in the United States, according to data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics and the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:24:51 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I hate elevators.  When I worked at a hospital we had to take an elevator safety course because what happened to this man.  It made me realize how much more I hated elevators.

HOUSTON, Texas (AP) -- A surgical resident was killed when an elevator malfunctioned and decapitated him, authorities said.

Hitoshi Nikaidoh, 35, was stepping into a second-floor elevator at Christus St. Joseph Hospital Saturday morning when the doors suddenly closed, pinning his shoulders. His head was severed when the elevator car moved upward.

A hospital employee witnessed the accident and spent about 20 minutes trapped inside the elevator before firefighters rescued her. She was treated for shock in the hospital's emergency room, hospital spokeswoman India Chumney Hancock said.

Harris County medical examiners were conducting an inquiry into the accident. Police said earlier that maintenance crews had worked on the elevators during the week.

The entire elevator bank was pulled from operation until the investigation is complete.

Nikaidoh graduated in 2003 from the University of Texas-Houston Medical School.

Elevators and escalators kill about 30 and injure about 17,100 people each year in the United States, according to data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics and the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

HOLY SHIT! Could you imagine being in the elevator watching that happen! A similar thing happened to a guy on that show Six Feet Under on HBO. The elevator got stuck between floors. With the door open a guy climbed out. He then layed down on his stomach and stuck his torso back in the elevator to help someone out. The elevator dropped cutting him in half.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:26:41 AM EDT
[#18]
besides everyone knows you are supposed to drop the floating air biscuts constantly while riding.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:26:43 AM EDT
[#19]
My pet peeve is people who wait for the elevator at a landing by standing directly in front of the doors, as if nobody is getting off the elevator.

Also, in my building, I live on the 39th floor.  When the elevators are slow, people on the lower floors invariably push the up and the down button, thinking the elevator will come faster, which is annoying if you are trying to go up to my floor.  I have stopped saying to them "going up" when the elevator stops.  Instead, I let them get on and discover on their own that the elevator is in fact going up, which is what happens when you push both buttons.  So they get a free ride to 39 before going back down again.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:29:19 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
HOLY SHIT! Could you imagine being in the elevator watching that happen! A similar thing happened to a guy on that show Six Feet Under on HBO. The elevator got stuck between floors. With the door open a guy climbed out. He then layed down on his stomach and stuck his torso back in the elevator to help someone out. The elevator dropped cutting him in half.

I couldn't imagine.  The thought creeps me out.  His head was in there with her i'm sure.  I feel so sorry for that poor woman.  I would have to be committed.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:31:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:38:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Let 'em off first.

Such a simple rule that applies to both subways and elevators, but too few people seem to be able to grasp the concept.  I usually say 'Excuse me' and hope they move.  If they don't I put my head down and plow my way through.  Rude?  Maybe, but had they used a little common sense or moved their fat ass when I asked nicely, they wouldn't find themselves on the floor.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:39:28 AM EDT
[#23]
I began to dislike elevators after
getting stuck on them several times.
Once, it was with the
governor of a certain state and a bunch
of media and p.r. people. The governor
was inspecting a public hospital in
a large southern city. Sho 'nuff, the jam
packed elevator got stuck between floors.
The hospital p.r. lady freaked and begged
the tv folks not to tape the situation..yeah,
right.  It used to be, you could find a trap door
in the ceiling. Now, it's like riding in an oversized
coffin......No escaped....doomed. Aaaargh!!
Uh, could someone direct me to the stairs, please.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:55:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 9:57:15 AM EDT
[#25]
i'll let one rip in an elevator, i dont give a fuck...
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 2:13:19 PM EDT
[#26]
I always try to squeeze one out in a crowded elevator.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:26:47 PM EDT
[#27]
I worked as a courier for many years when I was younger, rode elevators many dozens of times every damn day.

Lack of etiquette irked me as well. Lots of lazy people riding up one floor.

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:44:35 PM EDT
[#28]
I get so irratated when two hot blondes start making out in the elevator your in and when you look and start to get a permanent stare, then they look over and smile at you and ask you which room your going ot because theres plenty of room in theirs ----and oh yeah I really hate it when i wake up
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 4:44:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Not to hijack, but one of the best pieces of advice I ever got came from an Elevator Mechanic.  What he said was "Never trust someone who isn't a bit of a fuck-off.  It's those ones who have grand visions of themselves that'll get you into trouble."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top