Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2015 12:16:09 AM EDT
2000 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Well seems like everything is going at once.

Just finished a new fuel pump and new belts because a year old AC belt crapped out and took out main belt with it.

Now I am getting message for Knock Sensor #2

How involved is it to replace. I know I have to pull or lift up the intake. So that does mean I have to disconnect fuel lines? Is the intake dry? I know the TB has coolant lines to it. I guess now would be a good time to clean TB and do the coolant bypass mod. Will I need new intake gaskets?

This is the first time I have been this deep into an LS motor. I have done the usual outside motor things like water pump replacement, I feel confident in replacing the sensor, just wondering about any tips or any possible OH CRAP.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 12:40:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Unbolt throttle body lay it over it will take a little nudge disconnect fuel lines need a plastic tool for them undo bolts undo vacum lines and sensors pull intake swap knock sensor which is probably going to be completly rusted I usually replace gaskets when I do them at work
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 1:11:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unbolt throttle body lay it over it will take a little nudge disconnect fuel lines need a plastic tool for them undo bolts undo vacum lines and sensors pull intake swap knock sensor which is probably going to be completly rusted I usually replace gaskets when I do them at work
View Quote

How many hours to do the job?
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 1:38:38 AM EDT
[#3]
2-3 hours if its your first time,its really a pretty straight forward job.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 2:07:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sounds great!
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 9:48:30 AM EDT
[#5]
i would also recommend replacing both knock sensors and a new harness
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 10:09:01 AM EDT
[#6]
It's not too bad.  Fuel line needs to come off, but you can bleed it out by using the schrader valve on the rail.

I replaced both sensors and the harnesses at the same time, and then literally smothered the new sensors in RTV... basically made a little valley around each of them to keep debris and water out.  That's the big reason they fail initially, is poor isolation from elements. fwiw I did that 100k miles ago and haven't had a problem since on it.

I'd be surprised if you spent more than a few hours doing it.  JUST DONT DROP ANYTHING INTO THE HEADS WITH THE MANIFOLD OFF.

Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 2:38:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's not too bad.  Fuel line needs to come off, but you can bleed it out by using the schrader valve on the rail.

I replaced both sensors and the harnesses at the same time, and then literally smothered the new sensors in RTV... basically made a little valley around each of them to keep debris and water out.  That's the big reason they fail initially, is poor isolation from elements. fwiw I did that 100k miles ago and haven't had a problem since on it.

I'd be surprised if you spent more than a few hours doing it.  JUST DONT DROP ANYTHING INTO THE HEADS WITH THE MANIFOLD OFF.

Ask me how I know.
View Quote

That is why I use painters tape to mask the ports as soon as I remove an intake.

Thanks for the tip on replacing the harness, I had already planned on replacing both sensors.  

Already over 200,000 miles I refuse to get rid of this truck it has been so good to me. I guess the body is going to have to fall off before I give up on it. The way the body looks that might be forever.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 3:52:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
i would also recommend replacing both knock sensors and a new harness
View Quote

This.

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 12:19:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Sounds great!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds great!

Yep easy peasy.
Get both sensors and a new harness, and build a 1/4" wall of RTV around the knock sensor holes to keep water out. You will lose a little cooland from the throttle body, and you will need new intake gaskets. That engine has a tendancy to develop vacuum leaks at the intake gaskets anyway so you are doing yourself a favor.

If it were my truck and the knock sensors wernt rusted to shit, I MIGHT only do one sensor and skip the harness, but the above is the only way we do them at the shop.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top