Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2004 2:12:26 PM EDT
Wife was browsing the LL Bean website the other day and left the browser open for me to look at some things.

Liked what I saw, so I figured I'd request a couple of their catalogs.

Got them today and I can't belive the prices they charge.  Damned if those yuppies aren't paying out the ass for some of that stuff.

The cover on our futon is by LL Bean and it is pretty darn nice.  That said, it isn't worth what they're charging.

I guess there is one born every day...
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:17:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe in you get what you pay for.Everything I have bought from them has lasted for years.

But I agree some of their stuff is over the top $$$.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:20:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I got two winter jackets from them 15 years ago. Both still look near new after 12 years of heavy use in IL.

I don't know if their current stuff is that good, I haven't shopped there in years.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:23:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I have LL Bean shirts that are 15 years old and still look fine. Yeah, pricey but I do like the quality of their items. Plus I returned a light beige coat that developed a green cast for some reason and they took it back and replaced it; no questions asked.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 2:24:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:38:06 PM EDT
[#5]
My wife still has some shirts, a jacket and a day pack from 15 years ago that she still uses.  Some of the newer stuff seems like it might not be as durable, and they are also carrying some other lines like Columbia that I don't think so highly of.   Most of my coats and jackets are from there and they are holding up well.

Take a look at some of the comparable quality stuff like jackets from North Face and compare the prices.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:43:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 5:43:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Everything I've gotten from them has lasted way longer than I expected.  I carried one of their bookbags/backpacks everyday of high school and college and still have it.  If you're ever in Maine, stop by their store in Freeport, it is very impressive.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:07:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I have gotten great deals there--Coleman lantern for $15 and Coleman gas stove for $20.  Mesh shirts for $7.  Shop the sales.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 7:14:54 AM EDT
[#9]
It's the guarentee.
If you are EVER not happy, return it for a refund.

Name one other merchant that does that?

I will alwasy pay more for quality and a company that will stand behind it.

Take your 10 year old jacket from WallMart back after the sleve riped off and ask for a full refund and see what happens.

WIth LL you get your money, or a new jakcet. Your choice.

Hard to beat that.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:03:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I had a pair of ten year old LL Bean boots that needed a new sole...after they were re-soled, they lasted another two years or so and the stitched seams started tearing. I called LL Bean's service department, and asked if they could be re-stitched. They told me to send the boots up to Freeport, Maine.

Well, they called me back and told me that they were replacing the boots -AFTER THIRTEEN YEARS!
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:08:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have sent a pair of blucher mocs back after 5 years of heavy wear... new pair sent no qestions asked... 100% unconditional lifetime satisfaction guarantee.

Same thing here.  IIRC they even sent a check to reimburse me for my shipping cost.  That guarnatee rocks!

My second pair has also started to fall apart - but I've just been mending them myself, becausee I feel bad about sending things back.

I knew a guy (an economist I think), who literally bought all of his clothes from L.L. Bean, and whenever he wore something out, he woudl jsut send it back for a new replacament.  He never planned on buying clothes again in his life
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 8:33:38 AM EDT
[#12]
LL Bean is a good company that stands behind what they sell-with them you do get what you pay for.
Their store is cool, too.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 9:17:43 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
<snip>

I knew a guy (an economist I think), who literally bought all of his clothes from L.L. Bean, and whenever he wore something out, he woudl jsut send it back for a new replacament.  He never planned on buying clothes again in his life

That certainly sounds like an economist.

My wife has some LL Bean shirts from when she was in High School. They still look new. My Bean travel dress pants are the only pants I will take on business trips. Their stuff is first rate and you really will get your money's worth.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top