Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2003 12:09:54 PM EDT
What's the big deal?  Have these things gotten cheap enough to make it worthwile?  I've got a 19" CRT monitor at home and a 17" at work.  I can really tell a difference. Going back and forth, but I'm not sure I can afford a 19" LCD.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 12:12:47 PM EDT
[#1]
just go a lcd at work and its nice for space- but i think crt are sharper
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 12:16:33 PM EDT
[#2]
It really depends on what you are looking for. High brightness and contrast rates with a low pixel pitch will still run you a pretty penny. There are, of course, many other things you can look at to judge.

If you're not the type that would notice or utilize the differences, there are some deals to be had for reasonable prices.

Jonathan
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 12:25:21 PM EDT
[#3]
we use dell ultrasharp 18.1"- real nice
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 12:43:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 12:48:18 PM EDT
[#5]
CRT for gaming....
LCD for work Apps.... As long as its not video related.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 12:54:14 PM EDT
[#6]
So if I'm mostly cruising the internet at home, looking at pics & video, then the CRT that I've got is probably my best bet huh?  No reason to upgrade?
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 12:55:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 1:05:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Wish I could remember exactly, but I think the current king of LCD screens was a Planar 17"....decent contrast ration but a 16ms response time. There are a few others, but none are above 17, and it's looking to be about a year or so before any higher sizes come with below 25ms. Aside from that, the Dell 1800fp is considered one of the best deals on the market...especially if you catch it on sale. Which is why it's got a minimum 3 week ship time.

Also, IIRC, the LCD dimension is the actual dimension. So a 19" LCD would have a larger viewing area than a 19" monitor.

Bottom line is if you do a lot of gaming, specifically FPS type games, the CRT is still your best bet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top