Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/15/2004 11:14:31 AM EST
Anyone ever been? I've got a family member who just got a government contracted job there for a few weeks. We're curious as to what the situation is like / security. Any input is appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:44:26 PM EST
I've been there... Not a bad place considering it is wedged between Iran, Iraq, and Saudi Arabia. The people are normally dressed about 50/50 in complete Western attire and the others in traditional Arab dress. Not sure of the current security situation but it ain't Kansas... I know the Arab Heritage Center in donw-town was nice but not all that comfortable to be in... You can buy gold at really reasonable rates....

Not much else to say...
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:52:02 PM EST
I haven't been there in 5 years, but I'd hazard to guess that it's safer now than then - which is pretty safe. Most of the terrorist fucktards are focused on Iraq.

At least there is no more threat of an Iraqi invasion.

Great city, BTW - great food, weird in that nightlife is non-existent for the most part, and that instead of drinks at the local bar you have Hookah hits at the local smokeshop.

There are huge ghetto type areas to avoid, but most cities have that problem.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:54:10 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:19:11 PM EST
Was there in 98'. was at Ali-AL-Salem Air base. I went to CHILI'S a few times, but the food a Camp Doha was excellent.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 4:53:24 AM EST
Thanks for the input everyone. Appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:14:46 AM EST
The wife has a cousin who married a Kuawaiti, and they live there and here 50/50. She's blond/blue and sticks out obviously. Being a non-US-gov official, the networks were thrilled to find someone they could speak with prior to the Iraq war.

Thank goodness she's a repub.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 6:40:08 PM EST
I was in Kuwait earlier this year but not Kuwait city. Some of our officers went there and said it wasn't too bad. The embassy was the only place that US military could get a drink from what they said. Security is supposed to be pretty tight there but a lot of the Army I saw where pretty sorry. Sleeping on watch and talking on cell phones. There were a few small scale terrorist attcks in the end of '03 but that was up by Ash Swaiba. I've got a few contacts over there now but there not in Kuwait city. IM if you want to talk.
Top Top