Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2004 9:51:40 AM EDT
I recently emailed Kroger customer service in reference to them posting no carry signs in some of ththeir OH stores.  I got an email today stating that while they respect my opionion, they wish to offer quality products and services in a safe enviroment and that while OH law allows for carry, it also allows businesses to exclude carry so they will.  Does not look like they care about my money nor that of my families and most of my friends'.  Maybe an all out boycott is in order.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:52:55 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

they wish to offer quality products and services in a safe enviroment and that while OH law allows for carry, it also allows businesses to exclude carry so they will.  

Ask them how banning CCW makes you safer.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:12:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a Kroger about 2 miles from me, they don't have any "No CCW" signs up.  Must be an Ohio thing.

The only place around here that I have seen any signs is at a few gun shops, gun shows you have to show empty and have a zip tie put through the action and at a local resturant (mom and pop place not a chain).
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:16:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Remind them of the bag boy that got blasted in Columbus, Ohio a couple of months ago when the whacko came in off the street with the intent to kill his mom who was shopping there at the time.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:20:47 AM EDT
[#4]
How would they know anyhow?

Don't ask, don't tell.

Tell em you cant read well, tell em you didn't see the sign.

Seems like a non-issue to me, if it isn't please explain.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:25:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have a Kroger about 2 miles from me, they don't have any "No CCW" signs up.  Must be an Ohio thing.

The only place around here that I have seen any signs is at a few gun shops, gun shows you have to show empty and have a zip tie put through the action and at a local resturant (mom and pop place not a chain).

For some reason, Kroger only discriminates in metro OH areas.  I'm an IN resident and used to carry at Kroger all the time, no sign, no problem.  I'm just trying to help out other law-abiding citizens by voting with my wallet.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:26:52 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Don't ask, don't tell.

I believe Ohio's CCW law puts in CRIMINAL provisions for CCW in an establishment that is posted.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:35:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

they wish to offer quality products and services in a safe enviroment and that while OH law allows for carry, it also allows businesses to exclude carry so they will.  

Ask them how banning CCW makes you safer.

Not only do you ask how banning CHL makles the customers safer, you THEN follow that up with facts and statistics pointing out that criminals are afraid of armed citizens, and Krogers should not be, because armed citizens do not pose a threat to the other customers.  Instead, the armed citizens are there to save lives.
Never stop at one good point when you can go all the way.  They want a safe shopping environment?  Give it to them in truckloads!
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:49:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't ask, don't tell.

I believe Ohio's CCW law puts in CRIMINAL provisions for CCW in an establishment that is posted.

Yes it does.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:40:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes it does, and Kroger has mail, again.

Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:46:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Krogers, will you:

1.  provide a secure locker for me to store my weapon

2.  provide armed security guards in the store

3.  take legal responsibility for my safety while in your store

#1 is needed so you aren't unarmed and unsafe while walking from the parking lot
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 11:54:00 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd stop shopping there and let them know why.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 12:14:00 PM EDT
[#12]
If you decide to take part in a boycott, I suggest, if feasible, to make a copy of all the receipts from their store and mail it to them.  Let them know exactly how much income they will be losing.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 12:14:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Stop shopping there, and arrange for protesting outside their stores.  Carry signs like, "Criminals!  There are NO ARMED CITIZENS INSIDE THIS STORE!  YOU CAN FEEL SAFE WHILE INSIDE!" or something to that effect.  

Damn, Ohio sucks.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 12:15:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I recently emailed Kroger customer service in reference to them posting no carry signs in some of ththeir OH stores.  I got an email today stating that while they respect my opionion, they wish to offer quality products and services in a safe enviroment and that while OH law allows for carry, it also allows businesses to exclude carry so they will.  Does not look like they care about my money nor that of my families and most of my friends'.  Maybe an all out boycott is in order.

what email address did you write to?  i'll send them email's from all of my accounts
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 12:35:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what email address did you write to?  i'll send them email's from all of my accounts

I got it from the link on the first page of GD couple of days ago.  Right now the original post is strayed way off topic with several posters debating with an Anti-gun female.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 12:36:54 PM EDT
[#16]
<Ask them how banning CCW makes you safer.>

In MI, our tactic has been to ask if their banning of CCW's means that they are willing to accept the liability of our protection while on their property. Seems to work well, there were a few signs up when the law passed, but I've never seen one since.

Dave
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 12:39:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Just do what I did in Michigan, go somewhere else, but tell the manager by email why you are going down the street and how much you spent, list the other place by name and location.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 12:46:21 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Just do what I did in Michigan, go somewhere else, but tell the manager by email why you are going down the street and how much you spent, list the other place by name and location.

Did it work?
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 12:48:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Or better yet. Go shopping at Kroger (unarmed) with your wife or buddy. Put a shitload of stuff in your cart. Go to the checkout and let them ring up the entire cart. Then have the person with you say

"I'm surprised you shop hear since they won't allow concealed carry".

Look at them incredulously and say "They don't ? Well I guess I'll just have to take my business elsewhere" and walk out.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 12:50:27 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Or better yet. Go shopping at Kroger (unarmed) with your wife or buddy. Put a shitload of stuff in your cart. Go to the checkout and let them ring up the entire cart. Then have the person with you say

Look at them incredulously and say "They don't ? Well I guess I'll just have to take my business elsewhere" and walk out.

That's GOLDEN!

Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:01:26 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:31:03 PM EDT
[#22]
The only thig a "Are you gonna protect me in the lot?" letter does is brand you as a world class whipped whiner.

The best thing is to send them your Club Card cut in half, with a note why you won't be using it again.  If they don't use cards, just tell them you are through.

I'm not sure they pay any attention to an Ohio issue sent from Texas or other equally distant state.  You might sent it to your local Kroger outlets though.  Hitting them for Ohio will get some attention.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 3:41:02 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Don't ask, don't tell.

Beleive it or not, this thread is not about how to carry concealed in a Kroger's store.    

It's about making sure a business who discriminates against law abiding and armed citizens are going to pay for their decision by us not patronizing their establishments.

Why is this so hard to understand?  

Merlin

Link Posted: 5/7/2004 3:44:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Well I'll start avoiding Kroger, they normally only got a visit once ever 2 or 3 months but I'll skip them and go the other direction to the Food Loin.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 3:49:25 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
The only thig a "Are you gonna protect me in the lot?" letter does is brand you as a world class whipped whiner.

The best thing is to send them your Club Card cut in half, with a note why you won't be using it again.  If they don't use cards, just tell them you are through.

I'm not sure they pay any attention to an Ohio issue sent from Texas or other equally distant state.  You might sent it to your local Kroger outlets though.  Hitting them for Ohio will get some attention.

It looks that way to US.  It does not look that way to them!
Kroger's management is genuinely concerned about providing a safe shopping environment.  RECOGNIZE THIS PRIORITY.  Then use it to your advantage.
I explained how farther up this thread.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 3:58:44 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

They will know RKBA is serious. They have a lot of companies they bought. Hit the link and see if you are near one. We have Fred Meyer here in WA, so I can put a crimp in their wallet as well as any Buckeye.

Edited to add:

# Supermarkets - Kroger, Ralphs, Dillons, Smith's, King Soopers, Fry's, QFC, City Market, Hilander, Owen's, Jay C, Cala Foods/Bell Markets, Kessel Food Markets, Pay Less, Baker's, Gerbes
# Multi-department stores - Fred Meyer, Fry's Marketplace
# Price-impact warehouse stores - Food 4 Less, Foods Co.

The Kroger Co. currently operates 802 convenience stores in 16 states, under six banners.

Kwik Shop, Inc.   Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska

Loaf N' Jug Mini Mart  Colorado, New Mexico, Nebraska, Montana, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Wyoming

Quik Stop Markets, Inc.   California, Nevada

Tom Thumb Food Stores Florida, Alabama

Turkey Hill Minit Markets Pennsylvania

With 440 fine jewelry stores in 38 states, The Kroger Co. ranks as the fourth-largest jewelry retailer in the nation

* Barclay Jewelers
   * Fred Meyer Jewelers
   * Fox's Jewelers
   * Littman Jewelers

Oh yes, they do have something near you.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 4:00:04 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I simply do not go in a store that doesn't allow CCW or go in and take a chance. It depends on my mood and where the store is located.
As for Kroger or any business banning CCW, I would say that is their business as long as it isn't against the local laws. Most on this board will happily rant and rave about "free enterprise" and government staying out of business but when a business does something they don't like (which IS within the law) they want boycotts or worse. In short, you are free to rant, rave and boycott and Kroger is free to keep you out when you are packing. It seems to me that the State of Ohio decided to give business a choice and not impose something on them. Isn't that what we all want ? After all, it's a free country ! (Isn't it ?)
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 5:42:07 AM EDT
[#28]
This is strange Kroger stores in Tennessee are not posted against CCW. I guess in Ohio they will put up with more sh*t.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:32:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Living in Ohio may suck a little less:

www.ohioccw.org/article2021.html

It appears you Buskeyes may have actually done something worthwhile! Emphasis on MAY, the fight isn't over yet!
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:40:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Krogers in Houston, TX does not post 30.06 signs so I carry in them everytime I shop.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 7:10:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Does anyone know if Kroger stores are corporate owned or independently owned and operated?
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 8:35:50 AM EDT
[#32]

Does anyone know if Kroger stores are corporate owned or independently owned and operated?

Corporate owned.

That is why this is weird, TN has had CCW for years and not a peep out of Kroger. I suspect the Ohio decision was made at the regional level and the Corporate HQ is now catching heat and catching up.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 8:50:04 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Did it work?

We have darn few signs left up, they were common right after reform went though and non-connected people could get CCWs, but a few months of getting hammered later most of the businesses took the signs down.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:12:22 AM EDT
[#35]
I just went to the Kroger site and let them know I won't be shopping at King Soopers (Colorado's Kroger subsidiary) until this policy is revoked.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top