Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2011 3:14:42 PM EDT
I found these a couple years ago when my Grandfather died.  
He was 12th Armored Div.  "Hellcats" in WWII

I think the first one is a paratrooper knife.  You flip the switch and flick your wrist
and the blade comes out.  It has SMF SOLINGEN ROSTFREI on the blade, no nazi symbols.
It also has a long spike that flips out one side.

The second one looks like some sort of dress dagger.  Has a swatstika on it near the handle
no other marks.  

Can anyone tell me anything about these.  

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:17:03 PM EDT
[#1]
The First is a German Paratrooper gravity knife

pics herehttp://www.101airborneww2.com/souvenirs.htmle

The second one is  German Officer Dress Dagger
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:18:22 PM EDT
[#2]
First one is a Luftwaffe Paratrooper Gravity Knife and is worth a bundle, give or take $700.  Second one is interesting and is probably also worth a bundle.  Nice edged weapons
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:22:00 PM EDT
[#3]
My uncle was in the Heltracks division of the Hellcats. I have his unit book with history and photos.
It was an major contributor to Germanys defeat.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:25:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice knives.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:42:29 PM EDT
[#5]
The second one is a Red Cross officers dress dagger and quite rare.

One just sold for $1150 http://www.millermilitaria.com/dagger1.htm

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:43:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Cool stabby pieces.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:53:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

WOW, thanks.  Had no idea it was rare.  I thought it was just a common dress dagger.  
I kinda thought the paratrooper knife might be worth something but not the dagger.

You can find out about anything here.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 3:57:37 PM EDT
[#8]
The only ones worth more are SS and Postal dress daggers. Think of how few Red Cross officers there were though. Your gravity knife looks to be in excellent condition and fallschirmjager stuff is always in big demand.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 5:41:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Cool toys.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 5:54:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

WOW, thanks.  Had no idea it was rare.  I thought it was just a common dress dagger.  
I kinda thought the paratrooper knife might be worth something but not the dagger.

You can find out about anything here.

Yeah that Red Cross dagger is pretty rare.

I have never even seen one (I collect WW2 German uniform stuff).

Don't sell that cheap.  If you want an appraisal, send it to Tom Wittmann - he's the leading expert on German edged weapons of World War II.

Having the original portapee (embroidered knot) adds value too.

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:02:47 PM EDT
[#11]
That's a first model AirCrew Kappmesser, issued to all flying personnel not just paratroopers.

First model has bright blade, non-take down.  They aren't easily repaired so they are somewhat rarer.

2nd model usually has a blued blade other metal.  There is a push button to allow the hilt to be removed for cleaning or maint of the knife.

That example looks rather nice, I would think $500 easy if it hasn't been messed with, no polishing, replaced grip scales or ground blade or reground blade tip.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:10:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Please whatever you do, leave them as is, maybe a little oil to prevent rusting, but don't try to polish them!
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:15:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, that Red Cross dagger also has the hanger and portepee, thats going to add some $$ to it's value.
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:17:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Very nice knives!
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 6:52:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
That's a first model AirCrew Kappmesser, issued to all flying personnel not just paratroopers.

First model has bright blade, non-take down.  They aren't easily repaired so they are somewhat rarer.

2nd model usually has a blued blade other metal.  There is a push button to allow the hilt to be removed for cleaning or maint of the knife.

That example looks rather nice, I would think $500 easy if it hasn't been messed with, no polishing, replaced grip scales or ground blade or reground blade tip.

The blade is slightly bent.  Looks like some one my have used to open a can or something.  You can also tell its been re sharpened several times.  
The grips appear to be original.  

I was bummed out that my uncle got Granddads P38 he brought back.  But these have turned out to be more special than I thought.
Thanks for all the info.  They will remain in my gun safe, where they've been for the past 3 years.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 11:02:51 AM EDT
[#16]
UPDATE

Thanks to Omega62 I was able to get in touch with Mr. Tom Whittman who gave me information on the dress dagger.  

The dress dagger is not a Red Cross Officers dagger.  It is a Social Welfare Officers Dagger.

The daggers look the same the diference is the scabbards.  The Red Cross one had rectangular

holes in the scabbard and the Social Welfare has the round holes in the scabbard for the hanger.  

I have recieved a very respectable offer for it.  I'm really on the fence about selling it.  

On one hand my Grandfather brought it back from WWII.  On the other hand its just gonna sit in

my gun safe doing nothing.  I have other things from my Grandfather that mean a lot more to me than this dagger.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 11:14:58 AM EDT
[#17]
With respect to selling the dagger, it will be doing something in your safe, appreciating in value. What was the offer? If I were you I'd keep it, money in the bank and all that stuff. Oh and they don't ever go down in value like other investments.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 11:46:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
With respect to selling the dagger, it will be doing something in your safe, appreciating in value. What was the offer? If I were you I'd keep it, money in the bank and all that stuff. Oh and they don't ever go down in value like other investments.

I understand it will appreciate while just sitting in my safe.  However, it's not something that is easy to sale.  It's not everyday

that I come across a nazi dagger collector willing to spend just a little over a grand for a dagger.

But I'll probably end up keeping it because it's family.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 11:55:03 AM EDT
[#19]
I would say keep the dagger, but if you dont keep the dagger and sell it. I would say purchase something you will use forever and pass down through the generations as a "tribute" to your gramps. A good hunting rifle if you hunt or maybe a great replacement knife that will last lifetimes.

What i would personally do is keep the knives and make a shadow box with your gramps patches, medals and other Army stuff associated with his unit and their achievements and proudly display it

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top