Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2014 11:59:27 AM EDT
Never done tile before but handy enough to try. Any suggestions? Ive got hand tools but what do I need for the cuts? Recommend any guides? We have selected a subway tile mosaic type tile of natural stone. Looks a little like granite/marble, etc.  Somewhat porous face. Any suggestions for the glue or grout? How about sealer?

I want to also install some undercabinet strip lighting, preferably led with warm lights with a central switch that will be powered by an outlet on the wall.  The cabinets are in an "L" shape with interuptions for a window/sink and the wall mounted microwave.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 2:13:30 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have a grinder get a diamond blade continuous rim, use customs mastic you can get this from HD, use sanded grout,(more than 1/8 grout joint) wet tile before grouting, or seal tile before grouting use a good sealer around 32.00 a quart it will out perform the cheap stuff. I use 511 sealer. Get 8/32 by 1 1/2 screws for your outlets put those in first. Start plumb and go.

Braxton Bragg has great led lights use the 3000k strips. Www.braxtonbragg.com
They under installation tab use them all the time you love them.

If you need any more advice ask.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 2:38:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks! I'll check that out and the lights. I have an angle grinder. You think I ca make all my cuts with that and the proper wheel? Or do i need a wet saw or nippers? I'm definitely going with a good sealer and pre made mastic and grout.

Another question...Does the tile sheet rest on the countertop, or do I put a spacer there for grout and future run of caulk?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#3]
The grinder will work just cut slow. A wet saw is ideal. Is the tile small thin sheet stack product? If so bitters or nippers will work
For cuts around outlets. You said subway witch usually is 3x6 so you need to make L cuts. Also run all the field tile the the cuts.
I don't care for premixed grout. Grout is easy to mix just add water. Mix like a peanut butter consistent.

Set the tile on the deck I would only space it for full tile if needed. If its a sheet product cut out around outlets
With a utility knife then go back and cut it in it's easier then cutting in as you go. I would grout the bottom tile to deck
And if it cracks later then caulk it. If you just got new tops it's going to settle let it move t he caulking will crack anyway.

Use a type 1or 2 mastic  and use a 1/4 V notch trowel.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 4:47:42 AM EDT
[#4]
You can get a wet saw for less than $100.00 at any box store. Mine has done over a dozen kitchens and bathrooms between me and various friends and neighbors.
If you're going to use caulk around the edges, mask it off with blue painter's tape. Caulk to your heart's desire. Then pull the masking tape for a clean, crisp, line.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 4:51:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Can anyone here tell me if travertine tile (backsplash) is a PITA to clean?  I know it needs to be sealed but I honestly do this thinking about cleaning if it's as much trouble as I've heard some claim it is.

The solution I heard was Water + Dawn + Baking Soda to clean it with.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:20:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The grinder will work just cut slow. A wet saw is ideal. Is the tile small thin sheet stack product? If so bitters or nippers will work
For cuts around outlets. You said subway witch usually is 3x6 so you need to make L cuts. Also run all the field tile the the cuts.
I don't care for premixed grout. Grout is easy to mix just add water. Mix like a peanut butter consistent.

Set the tile on the deck I would only space it for full tile if needed. If its a sheet product cut out around outlets
With a utility knife then go back and cut it in it's easier then cutting in as you go. I would grout the bottom tile to deck
And if it cracks later then caulk it. If you just got new tops it's going to settle let it move t he caulking will crack anyway.

View Quote

I'm going to get  cheap wet saw from a box store. Hopefully one that will cut thin pavers for a later project. The "subway" tiles the wife wants are 4x2 natural stone. 7/16 in thick and on a sheet. Tops have been in for year and half.

Questions to clarify...
Does the smaller tile size warrant a 3/16" v trowel?
Run the field first before cuts, right? Wont the mastic/mortar dry out before I can get back to make the small cuts? Just wipe it away?
Just looked at the outlets. Most of the boxes are within 1/8 " of drywall face but a couple are  closer to 1/4". Can that Gap be overcome by those 1 1/2 inch 8/32 screws and a spacer? Or do I need the box extenders? The tiles ares 7/16 plus mastic/mortar
Kitchen is an L 9 x 13. How long should this take a newb?

Thanks again for everyones help
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:33:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm going to get  cheap wet saw from a box store. Hopefully one that will cut thin pavers for a later project. The "subway" tiles the wife wants are 4x2 natural stone. 7/16 in thick and on a sheet. Tops have been in for year and half.

Questions to clarify...
Run the field first before cuts, right? Wont the mastic/mortar dry out before I can get back to make the small cuts? Just wipe it away?
Just looked at the outlets. Most of the boxes are within 1/8 " of drywall face but a couple are  closer to 1/4". Can that Gap be overcome by those 1 1/2 inch 8/32 screws and a spacer? Or do I need the box extenders? The tiles ares 7/16 plus mastic/mortar

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Questions to clarify...

Your tile guy can tell what size tooth to use.
Do the tile in sections. Don't put mortar right up to the cut section. Leave an empty spot until you cut and dry fit, then mortar the back of each cut piece.
Can't tell about your outlets without seeing them.
Take your time. It will work out better. The big sections go real fast once you get the dry fitting/layout figured out.

Link Posted: 8/7/2014 7:26:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Before

After

Thanks for the help guys!
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 5:33:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Looks great with your Giallo Ornamental granite.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 7:43:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Looks great with your Giallo Ornamental granite.
View Quote

Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top