Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/22/2011 1:09:01 PM EDT
People who hope to beat the summer heat by swimming, floating or boating on rivers in King County must wear a life vest or face an $86 fine.

A divided County Council on Monday passed a personal flotation device ordinance by a five to four vote. Opponents said it was an intrusive move by "big government."

"This council sometimes thinks it's everybody's mom," said Councilwoman Kathy Lambert, who voted "no."

Supporters said the new rule will save lives.

The law appears to be the first of its kind in the state. Staff with the Municipal Research and Services Center of Washington said Kitsap and Clark counties had rules about people wearing life vests while on sail boards, water scooters and other water craft, but it didn't appear any other county required swimmers to wear the  devices.

Voting "yes" were Councilmembers Larry Phillips, Joe McDermott, Bob Ferguson, Julia Patterson and Larry Gossett. Voting "no" were Lambert, Reagan Dunn, Pete von Reichbauer and Jane Hague.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/King-Co-requires-life-vests-for-swimmers-1432255.php
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:10:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Fucking bullshit.

When is enough enough???

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:11:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you have to pay up on the spot?

I generally don't have ID on me when I'm swimming.

"Yes, officer, the name is Farquhar Q. McGillicudy."
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:11:46 PM EDT
[#3]
what, no helmets?
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:12:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm moderately in favor of this. I don't like them ticketing people but if you guys lived in Washington you would see that like every week during the summer months someone drowns or has to call 911.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:12:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I generally don't have ID on my when I'm swimming.

Hugh G. Rection!
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:12:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Voting "yes" were Councilmembers Larry Phillips, Joe McDermott, Bob Ferguson, Julia Patterson and Larry Gossett. Voting "no" were Lambert, Reagan Dunn, Pete von Reichbauer and Jane Hague.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/King-Co-requires-life-vests-for-swimmers-1432255.php

I hope that Larry Phillips, Joe McDermott, Bob Ferguson, Julia Patterson and Larry Gossett lose their next election and never hold elected office again in their lives.

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:13:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I'm moderately in favor of this. I don't like them ticketing people but if you guys lived in Washington you would see that like every week during the summer months someone drowns or has to call 911.

^

Part of the problem.

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:13:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Then let them drown.  People need to take responsibility for themselves.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:14:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

^

Part of the problem.

Yep.

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:14:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then let them drown.  People need to take responsibility for themselves.

Exactly.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#11]
A bunch of high schoolers just got into danger when they floated down the Green River in innertubes and kids inflatable toys. They hit a log jam and were sucked under/through it. They got real close to drowning.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/124318599.html
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:16:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

A bunch of high schoolers just got into danger when they floated down the Green River in innertubes and kids inflatable toys. They hit a log jam and were sucked under/through it. They got real close to drowning.

Darwin loses again?

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:16:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I wonder if the cooler holding my beer counts as a life preserver?
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:16:58 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

And that is somehow different than everywhere else since the beginning of time and summer itself?

How have we possibly made it this far as humans without the aide of our loving nannies?

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:17:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:17:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

so?

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:17:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

so?

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:18:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

So what's your point?  
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:18:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Some governing bodies behave like the Brady Bunch would if you asked them 'what guns should be legal?'  They have no clue what they are talking about and will use the opportunity to flex their legislative muscles.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:18:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Meh.  I went through lions mouth on the green river on my head.   Used to go swimming in that river all the time.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:18:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Every day, someone dies in car wrecks.

We can prevent this by banning travel in cars.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:18:59 PM EDT
[#22]
No more triathlons in king county
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:20:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

The water around here is fed mostly from glacier run off so it's cold as hell, even on the hottest summer days.  While people won't look quite as "cool" for your facebook photos, the pleasantness of not having dead bodies in the water is worth it IMHO.

Please don't leave your house.  Something could happen and you could die.

Oh wait, you could die at home to.

WTF ya gonna do, nanny state lover?
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:20:57 PM EDT
[#24]
I find it how some of you internet badass's can say  "darwin wins" or who cares. Perhaps you should volunteer yourself to call the parents of the kids that die every year. I guarantee you once you see a mother and father react to the news that their son or daughter has died you would think differently. Ask me how I know tough guy.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:21:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Please remember.  This is Martin Luther King County.

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:23:34 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I find it how some of you internet badass's can say  "darwin wins" or who cares. Perhaps you should volunteer yourself to call the parents of the kids that die every year. I guarantee you once you see a mother and father react to the news that their son or daughter has died you would think differently. Ask me how I know tough guy.

My cousin drowned some years back, and a life vest would have saved him.

I still don't support the law, and I don't let emotive thinking form my opinions. You do.

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:23:35 PM EDT
[#27]
And people are going to continue to drown on a regular basis, even with their life preserver.  

Bone headed lawmakers.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:23:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

person responsibility how does it work,  personal responsibility doesn't make you a jerk
personal responsibility turns your frown upside down, personal responsibility gives you pause while you drown

(helps if you sing it)
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:24:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Welcome to GD.  We have 87 times more tough guys per square inch than the internet average.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:25:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I generally don't have ID on my when I'm swimming.

Hugh G. Rection!

Chuck U. Farley
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:25:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
No more triathlons in king county

Thats what I was thinking.  But if its a USAT you have lifeguards close by so maybe.  But pratice sucks tho.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:27:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:27:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Fuck, if they were serious about it being "for everyone's safety", they'd ban booze of any form on the water. *

*don't get me wrong, I love floating the Salt with a beer in my hand, watching the idiots flash titties (god bless their enhanced hearts), but then there are the drunken males vying for the attention of the titty flashers. Many of whom do things like backflip off a cliff into shallow water. Or worse. backflip off a 30 foot cliff and land on 3 people, killing 1 (3months pregnant IIRC).

And then these same mouthbreathers will jump behind the wheel after a day of sun and booze...making more work for EMS.

Protip-if your 10 year old cannot swim, do not take him/her to the river on the 4th of July. By the time you notice your kid isn't right next to you, it's too late. Also, don't leave them in the car because you don't want them to drown.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:28:05 PM EDT
[#34]
All the best floating is outside of King county anyways. . .
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:30:22 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm
moderately in favor of this. I don't like them ticketing people but if
you guys lived in Washington you would see that like every week during
the summer months someone drowns or has to call 911.

+1

The
water around here is fed mostly from glacier run off so it's cold as
hell, even on the hottest summer days.  While people won't look quite as
"cool" for your facebook photos, the pleasantness of not having dead
bodies in the water is worth it IMHO.

Quoted:

I think you two are in the wrong place.

I swam in rivers as a kid, rivers where someone would drown every once in a while.  I swam all day, often to the point that I could not swim any longer - but I did not drown because I was familiar with the river, my limitations, and was not prone to panic.

How you know is inconsequential.  I'm sure it sucks, as a parent, to learn that your kid is dead for any reason - but I still let my kid ride her bike on public streets and swim in rivers, lakes and oceans.

What's next?  Water wings for everyone at the pool?

Fuck those council members and anyone, like the two of you, that would support such overbearing government intrusion into personal decisions.

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:30:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

i've been a first responder on several DOA wrecks.  you know what was a constant in every single one of them?

none, not a single one, was wearing a helmet or contained in a 5 point harness under a full roll cage.

go fucking toot your horn for those, too...

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:30:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

google "baby drowns in bath tub"

No bathroom should be without one.

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:31:35 PM EDT
[#38]
This law will most likely not be enforced. I would rather see local fire departments doing a PR campaign raising awareness for children drowning, since it is the 2nd leading cause of unintentional death among children int he state.

Some of you saying that I favor a "nanny state" let me ask you one question.

Who do you think pays for all the equipment that the local fire department needs to perform rescue operations like this? Tax payers. Since this is a regular occurrence in Washington state wouldn't it make some sense to try and curb the problem instead of spending thousands of dollars every week to fish these victims out.

Each one of these rescues they usually have a few boats / helicopter / police / search and rescue / few engine companies / aid car / medic unit .
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:33:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I would have been interested in seeing the results had they been wearing PFDs. I dont hink it would have been as pretty.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:34:48 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

This law will most likely not be enforced. I would rather see local fire departments doing a PR campaign raising awareness for children drowning, since it is the 2nd leading cause of unintentional death among children int he state.

Who do you think pays for all the equipment that the local fire department needs to perform rescue operations like this? Tax payers. Since this is a regular occurrence in Washington state wouldn't it make some sense to try and curb the problem instead of spending thousands of dollars every week to fish these victims out.

Each one of these rescues they usually have a few boats / helicopter / police / search and rescue / few engine companies / aid car / medic unit .

So the local fire & police tend to over-react and that makes this a good idea?

Most of the drownings I'm familiar with wouldn't have required more than two guys in a canoe to recover the body.

Those police & fire people are just trying to justify their bloated budgets with responses like that.

Send the local police boat out to collect the body and be done with it.

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:35:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Why should I call the kids parents?  It's not my problem.

Maybe mom and dad should have taken better care of them.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:36:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

so floaties, much like eliminating the "gunshow loophole" is gonna fix everything?

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:40:48 PM EDT
[#43]

Didn't used to be. It was originally named for William Rufus King. It was one of that <insert profanity of choice>'s Gregoire first moves to approve the name change. It was payback for all the ballot stuffing that took place in Seattle to get her elected. Seattle is the San Francisco of the PNW for those of you not familiar with it. Not quite as bad but very close.

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:41:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Boo fucking hoo. Do you actually think you are the only one ever to be involved in a tragedy? Get over yourself.

Also, post a list of activities that you participate in that others have been killed participating in so I know what to ban for your safety.

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:41:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why should I call the kids parents?  It's not my problem.

Maybe mom and dad should have taken better care of them.

Sounds logical and humane! Lol you guys win I guess the solution to this issue is just to not give a fuck and worry about myself. If i kid drowns....ohhh well not my fucking problem the parents can go scoop the body out if they want. not my problem.

I'm not saying this new law is going to do anything other then increase awareness.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:42:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Why not a fine for going in the water? Keeping people out of the water will save lives.
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:43:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Every day, someone dies in car wrecks.

We can prevent this by banning travel in cars.

This!
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:50:58 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Authorities say there were 17 drowning deaths on major county  rivers between 2005 and 2009.

Unless summer only last one month on the planet you live on, you need to stop lying.

Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:51:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/22/2011 1:53:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Lawyers...worse than unions   I think...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top